-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My daughter will be graduating in a few weeks and heading off to college in the fall to persue a Bachelors in Fine Arts with an emphasis on eventually being an Art Director (probably advertising).

As graduation gifts I would like to get her a laptop, camera, and editing software that she can use throughout college for school work and to further develop her artistic talents and portfolio when the time comes.

Not looking to break the bank here, tuition alone will take care of that. However I do want to get something of high quality and high usability. Any and all recommendations for laptops, software, cameras or possibly packages will be greatly appreciated as I know very little about this subject.

XVERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the laptop world, I like Dell and Toshiba. I think that your daughter will want, as a minimum, a PC with an I5 6th generation processor if she is going to be moving large files around. An I7 processor might be better, but nothing less than an I5 is likely to work very well.

In the camera world, I like Canon. I have an AE-1 film unit and an EOS Rebel digital unit and like everything about them. Around here, Wal-Mart is clearing their Canon cameras and accessories. I bought a Canon image stabilized lens today for $60, marked down from $249.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You really must specify a budget.

The Sony alpha 7 is worth looking at.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Full-Frame-Mirrorless-Digital-Camera/dp/B00FRDUZXM

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-a7

I like Photoshop Elements for editing.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pal
You really must specify a budget.

The Sony alpha 7 is worth looking at.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Full-Frame-Mirrorless-Digital-Camera/dp/B00FRDUZXM

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-a7

I like Photoshop Elements for editing.

$2000 maximum for the camera, lenses?, laptop and software...

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Skip the software, as she will have it available through her college if she is pursuing an art degree. Also, the classes she takes may well dictate the software she uses, and it may not be possible to predict what that will be.

I'd not buy a computer specifically for photo editing either--again, if she is an art student she should have access to computers sufficient for image editing and set up specifically for that purpose. If you really want to buy her an image editing machine, a MacBook Pro with a Retina screen is the way to go. The MacBook would also likely survive 4-5 years of college. They're tough machines.

As for the camera, we are living in a Golden Age of camera choices. I would skip SLR's entirely. They are a dead technology driven by the market position of the Canon/Nikon duopoly. Mirrorless cameras with electronic viewfinders are the future. I grew up with Nikon SLR's--I now shoot a Fuji XE-2 and I will never go back to a optical viewfinder. Mirrorless cameras are also typically smaller and lighter--and, most importantly, many of the are very good at video without requiring costly peripheral equipment or after-market modification.

If she is going into advertising, she will have to learn how to make, edit and use video. A camera that can do both--the Sony A7 series and A6300 excel at this--is a wonderful tool to have.

Get her a Sony A6300 or Sony A7 series camera, depending on your budget. Get her one really good lens and then let her develop her gear interests from there.

Last edited by Oregon45; 05/10/16.
IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
45--good points and post.

Stick with getting her just one good camera with the standard kit zoom lens.

The Sony alpha 7 recommendation is just one. But that camera has unbelievably good manual focus as well as auto focus. And also records high-definition video.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
$2000 for a camera? Lot of good choice's out there well above entry level. i bought a Nikon D7000 aa couple uears ago from B&H, a refurb for $500, it had under 70 shutter actuation's on it, just like new! What I do do thought is avoid kit lens's. They are probably better than I can use but with most I don't like the range on the, I got an 18-105 for my D7000, damn good lens. But it left me a bit short so I sold it and got an 18-140, love it. I have three len's I generally use, 18-140, 55-300 and a Sigma 170-500. The Sigma doesn't get used a lot anymore. I'd bought it for a film camera years ago. After my referb camera and a couple referd lens, I doubt I'll ever buy new again.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys!

X-VERMINATOR

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,297
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.