Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
My Dad inherited a 52C sporter about 5-6 years ago from a sister who'd taken it from her husband in a divorce. It was his favorite rifle, so she figured it was a good way to hurt the poor guy. My uncle had worked at a Western auto in the late 50's early 60's and a customer brought it in to trade/sell. The store wasn't interested but my uncle decided to buy it from the guy. He owned it there on til the divorce when my aunt took possession out of spite.

Anyway, he's ready to start clearing out some guns and has a cooper and a original 82 superamerica with most of the options available at the time, as well as a bunch of other high end rimfires that he's keeping, so this one is going.

Bluing is in very good shape. Stock shows wear but nothing terrible. I'd say 90% cond. easy. Serial number is 97510C. No modifications that I can tell.

What is a realistic value, and what is the best way to go about selling? Seems like a niche/collector market to sell something like this at what I'm assuming is a reasonably large sum of money.

I can email pics to someone willing to post them.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
List it in the RimfireCentral website's classified section, there's a very active group of 52 Sporter shooter/collectors there.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I posted on the Winchester 52 subforum over there also. Any idea where the market is on these at this time?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I would say around 3500.00 assuming all original, no extra holes, stock not cut, etc.
I've seen them listed at 5000.00 but they don't seem to move at that price unless exceptional condition.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Augie
I would say around 3500.00 assuming all original, no extra holes, stock not cut, etc.
I've seen them listed at 5000.00 but they don't seem to move at that price unless exceptional condition.

DON'T sell it for $3,500! Photos would help immensely and, as you describe it and if unmolested. should bring at least $4,500 on GI or GB...Rimfire Central will not get you top $; the GB auction route is how to go....

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jackmountain; 05/13/16.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wow! Nice one!

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
No safe Queen, but for being 60 years old and hunted with, it's in good shape. Bolt won't clear the ocular on that scope and it's obviously not period correct, so no idea what the story is on that.....mounts appear period and are Redfield. I'd say my aunt's son stole the scope off it and put that cheap POS on there.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Shows bluing wear on the bottom metal, but barrel and receiver show very little. Dad said he remembered his brother-in-law shooting mice inside a house he and my aunt had lived in with that 52. Apparently he drank a good bit (grin)

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Nice rifle, the pictures do bring up one concern. I think the 52C Sporting should have a stock with a slight Monte Carlo comb. Can you see any evidence of the comb being sanded and refinished?
I am not an expert just an enthusiast so I could be wrong, if the stock is not correct it will affect value.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Told the same thing at Rimfire central. I'll get pics Sunday and take a better look. It sure doesn't look modified and there's no difference in the finish. Really odd. Someone went to great pains to do it for some reason.... If they all had a raised comb then it's been modified. Any "experts" on the 52's out there? Like to know what he has so we can price it correctly.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
As far as I know C's had a small comb, B's had a straight stock, they had different triggers so I don't think B and C stocks were easily swapped.
Changing contour of stocks by sanding was fairly common back then, I've got a late 40's B target rifle that the comb was slightly modified and a Model 12 trap that also was slightly contoured to get the face centered.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

My old friend , George Madis, said when it came to Winchesters " there're no rules".
Winchester came to Madis for info, when he was alive.
Madis would stay in bed , most mornings, Patty would bring him coffee or breakfast. He would answer letters, faxes, etc.

Barrels of parts would show up in assembly , and they were used to put guns together.
It did not have to be at the end of a production run.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only reason i have never owned a 52 because it wasn't ever offered in Left Hand if they had I would have one today

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Another old friend, Nubs Fashingbauer, from Lac du flambeau, turned a number of the 52 clunker target rifles into 52 clunker sporters. I saw one 52 he spun into a left hander for some fruitcake in Iran.
He was a great gunsmith. Sorry to say he passed many ,many years ago.

The only 52's of interest are custom rifles. i don't give a [bleep] how high the front sight is or if it is perfect in every regard.
It's all about the wood and custom features and how it shoots.

As far as Rimfire Central goes..... there are 6-7 cliquey , know it alls on there.
None have any money to spend. Cheap know it all arm chair pro( futzing) fessionals. One can guess how I get along on there.

If I haven't ruffled any feathers....my job isn't done.

Last edited by cisco1; 05/14/16.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jackmountain: What a cool Rifle - best of luck in appraising and selling it.
I have never owned a 52 Sporter but have owned several Target 52's.
Great guns with great accuracy and strong inherent value.
My friend Mike from Tacoma, Washington brought out his minty Model 52 Sporter several years ago and we shot Ground Squirrels with it for three days.
It was like a magic gun - the trigger was so nice and the accuracy so good that it was hard to miss with!
Personally if it were my Rifle I would not have let it out of my gun vault room!
Again good luck with the Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jackmountain
No safe Queen, but for being 60 years old and hunted with, it's in good shape. Bolt won't clear the ocular on that scope and it's obviously not period correct, so no idea what the story is on that.....mounts appear period and are Redfield. I'd say my aunt's son stole the scope off it and put that cheap POS on there.

My first thought was to pull that simmons off and throw it in the trash can. It does the rifle no favors... As for price/value (real world), the best advice is to look at a couple blue books of gun values like the "The Red Book of Winchester Values". This is one of my favorite books and it has been pretty spot on accurate. This book says a rifle in "90%" condition is worth $4680.00. Now market value may be a little less, but probably not by much. However, as previously mentioned, the 52C sporting rifle had a higher monte carlo stock on it. I'm a little leery about the OP's description and the title. I'm reluctant to believe it's a "52C". It is however, a sporter (sporting rifle). The 52A and B have a low comb stock. That sure is a beautiful little rifle you have. Good luck with it, and don't let that damn cousin touch it again!!! laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Your rifle should have a MC comb..either it was either removed or it wears a B Sporter stock. I cannot tell if it is a B stock as there is no photo which shows the comb. If it is a C stock and the comb was removed the entire stock would have likely been refinished.

In any event the stock is not original to the gun which detracts from its value...

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
The shape of the raised cheek is definitely C. The B's I've seen pics of are more oval. This is tear drop, like the C. I"ll have pics up this evening. Going over this afternoon to take some. How bad does it kill the value? 50%?

Last edited by jackmountain; 05/14/16.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 1,989 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.