-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a casual acquaintance who left his hunting rifle with a FFL holder for repairs. The FFL holder/gunsmith also had a retail outlet and pawnshop. Unfortunately, the FFL holder/shop owner died unexpectedly a few weeks ago. My friend is telling me the widow claims he cannot retrieve his firearm from the business unless another FFL holder is involved. To me, this sounds like a bit of a scam on the part of the estate of the FFL holder.

Is it? Or am I just ignorant of the law?

Last edited by plainview; 05/12/16.

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it is entered in his book with your name as owner, there should be no need to ship to another FFL holder. Now, whether or not she needs an FFL to log out and return firearms he was holding for repairs may be another matter.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You first need some factual information. I would contact ATF directly and ask an agent what would be required in this case. There are provisions in the law for exactly this event, so reading the regulations on the ATF site would be helpful. The executor of the estate should have already done this.

If the estate will not comply with the applicable regulations then there is the option to file a lawsuit or claim against the estate if it goes into probate.

But the lesser of two evils may be just to simply ask around and see if a friendly local FFL would act as an intermediary for the estate for $25. The administrator of the estate should have done this already.

Local shops step in to handle estate liquidations all the time if none of the heirs are up for it.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 358WCF, 13 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,658
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.