Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Shot one of these last week, I don't shoot a thumb release and never really found one I liked. I shot 5 X's with the first 6/arrows and gave it back to the guy who let me shoot it. After our last round I borrowed it again and again, 5 X's in 6 shots. I was impressed enough to purchase one. Is anybody else shooting one of these? There a bit expensive at $150 but they seem to work.

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I tried to shoot a thumb release 40 or more years ago when there were not any. The one I tried was designed by Billy Ellis and custom built for him in a little machine shop in Lexington, Mississippi. It worked well enough, and if I had shot it much, I'm sure it would have become about as natural as using a trigger finger release. I tried to get Ellis to patent his release and have some made up to see if there was a commercial market for them, but he was involved in so many things at the time, he never did. He was a brilliant man who promoted archery in a big but quiet way. I actually met Glen St. Charles in Ellis' office one day when I went by there on my way to camp. They said Fred Bear and Charlie Kroll had been there the day before. Just my luck to miss them. They were all on their way down to New Orleans for some kind of archery outdoor SHOT show kinda thing.

Last edited by BobWills; 05/11/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I went back to a thumb release last year. Stan SX3. Dont believe ill be going back to a wrist strap

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I first tried shooting a thumb release about 30 years ago with little success and quickly went back to shooting with my fingers. Technology has come a long way since then. I think the big thing for me was with the 360 is that it is angled slightly and I can adjust it so i can anchor in the same spot as I did with my wrist release. I also thought the Like Mike I was shooting was too much of a hair trigger and as a result I would shoot high quite often. With the 360 I can take my time and release a little slower. Anyhow time will tell but so far I am really impressed with it.

I hear a lot of good things about Stan and know several guys who shoots really well with them, I might just have to try one but not for a bit.

Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The other thing I really like is that it is a hook type as I once had a caliper type come appart on me at just a bit less than full draw. It was indoors so the arrow hit the ceiling and then hit the target. The Amish guys I shoot with love to tell people I got an X with that shot but I recall the arrow being off the paper but they can tell it however they choose lol.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a good friend that does custom trigger work on the thumb trigger releases from time to time. Its comparable to a Jewell target trigger when it breaks. He will be getting my SX3 before long. Just have to decide when i can be without it long enough to have Ultimate Finishers do some custom Kolorfusion work on it and then have Tracey reassemble it and do the trigger work. I run an Ex Okie 5/8 barrel on my sx3. Just dont care for the factory 1/2" one. I also set mine so i can load up on the trigger quite heavily and pull thru the shot much like a back tension release. I do hunt with this release and so far havent faced a situation where it cost me an animal or missed shot oppertunity

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,887
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.