24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am currently building an LR-308 in 6.5 creedmoor, and I am needing to order a muzzle brake for it. I am looking at this one on gunborker, but it is made for a .308. Will it effect accuracy or anything else by using this brake on a 6.5 creedmoor rifle?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=555916028

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
ARIC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A .308 caliber brake is common on 6mm, 6.5's and 7mm cartridges. You can get caliber specific brakes if you prefer though. I don't know anything about the brake in your link but I do know cheap muzzle devices can have a negative affect on accuracy. I would stick to name brand parts if you can help it. If you are on a tight budget, I would get a thread protector until you could swing a quality brake.

I highly recommend you look at these. You can get them in the caliber you want and they don't require a gunsmith or shims to time them. Very user friendly and great performance.

https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/products-page/muzzlebrakes/gen-ii-little-bastard/

If you are interested, I have a Badger Micro FTE that I will make you a good deal on.

Last edited by wareagle700; 05/11/16.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The closer the hole through the center of the Brake is to the diameter of the bullet the more effective the Brake.

The problem being, how close the Brake threads on the barrel to the center of the bore is and how concentric the Brake is.

A good fitting Brake works well. A Brake that does not fit well is often called a Loudener. (LOUD-EN-ER)

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Reba
The closer the hole through the center of the Brake is to the diameter of the bullet the more effective the Brake.

The problem being, how close the Brake threads on the barrel to the center of the bore is and how concentric the Brake is.

A good fitting Brake works well. A Brake that does not fit well is often called a Loudener. (LOUD-EN-ER)

I was surprised how painfully loud a brake was on a 6.8 even with ear pro.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's odd. All of my brakes are surprisingly quiet even without ear pro. grin

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't know why you would need one really, there isn't going to be much recoil.

That said if going with one I'd be really happy with a can to do double duty.

We used solid bottom A2 flash hiders in our rapid fire ARs for NTIT, and if legal would have used brakes too, simply to speed up the next shot by less recoil and less muzzle rise, but for just recoil in 223 or even in 308 they were never needed for "body" abuse issues.

And if not that, since you are using it for recoil issues, I'd get caliber specific rather than do it half azz

I've been pleased with Vais for customers guns over the years.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Your brakes all require a tax stamp!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Your brakes all require a tax stamp!

Yep, and to a point, they are mostly worth it for sure.

Though there should be no stamp... thats ridiculous of .gov.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I built a brake for my Creedmoor, out of curiosity (it's a RAR, not an AR). For some reason it seems a lot louder on the Creed than the same brake on a 308, but that could be just perception. It had almost no recoil, I could probably fire it with the buttstock against my face comfortably, but it hurt my ears even with good earmuffs.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am wanting something other than just a thread protector for the barrel. Is there something else you would recommend besides a muzzle break?

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A flash hider like the Vortex or even an A2.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 14 invisible), 1,756 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.