Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I'm trying to help the widow of Yooper 35 (John Strahl) move a few things. There are two copies of this and I doubt they are first editions. Both are in excellent condition but I have no idea of the value. What is a fair price for these? She also has The Winchester Book by Madis and the soft cover reloading books by PO Ackley. I'm not familiar with the used book market so any help is appreciated.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It really depends on the edition, whether they are signed, and the condition. A signed 1st Ed. hardback will generally go for $350. If you look inside the book it should tell you what year it was printed.

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've seen unsigned first editions go for $400+. Keep in mind, if you list them on ebay or other such places you need to have a starting price high enough that you aren't going to get taken/reamed in the pooper. I've seen it many times, where an item is worth more than what it sells for. When I sell something, I always start with a starting price, never start at a penny contrary to what idiots/ebay tell you.

OP, we need more info on the books. There are first editions, limited editions, signed first editions, signed second editions (published in 1996), signed 1 of 500 limited editions, leather bound first editions (reelman has some of these). Etc. etc.... Each version is worth a different amount. Also keep in mind, there are soft cover books that are hardly worth $70.00 in used condition...

GSP, the first editions (The Rifleman's rifle) were published in 1982.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Both books are second edition unsigned excellent condition.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One of the members on here recently put a leather bound 1st edition on eBay, it only went for $511 if I remember correctly. IMHO that's a travisty that it went that low.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Pm sent

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Not 100% sure but Gunbroker has one listed...asking around $800 fyi

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by reelman
One of the members on here recently put a leather bound 1st edition on eBay, it only went for $511 if I remember correctly. IMHO that's a travisty that it went that low.

I'm assuming the book was not advertised well and it didn't have a high enough starting price. I discussed this earlier.. wink . I've sold and seen unsigned first and second editions sell for upwards of $450.00. These were unsigned editions. If the OP does it right, he should get about $350.00-$400.00 (each) out of the books according to current market value..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I'm assuming the book was not advertised well and it didn't have a high enough starting price. I discussed this earlier.. wink . I've sold and seen unsigned first and second editions sell for upwards of $450.00. These were unsigned editions. If the OP does it right, he should get about $350.00-$400.00 (each) out of the books according to current market value..

Current market value is much less than you think, you won't get more than $250 for a pristine second edition. A signed first edition will go for $350.00-$400.00. As was already stated, a limited edition, signed, first edition for $511.00. The one for $800.00 has been there for a long time...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Current market value is much less than you think, you won't get more than $250 for a pristine second edition. A signed first edition will go for $350.00-$400.00. As was already stated, a limited edition, signed, first edition for $511.00. The one for $800.00 has been there for a long time...

Bull schit. Plain and simple.. Why don't you go and do something simple like teach flave how to load the right ammo in his rifle.. wink

BSA MAGA
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
The books are a good investment? Is that why many are now trying to recoup their money with no success?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Bull schit. Plain and simple.. Why don't you go and do something simple like teach flave how to load the right ammo in his rifle.. wink

You sniff around the Winchester forum enough to try and look like you know what you are talking about. Get yourself a Roger Rule book and see how fast it sells for what you think it is worth.

If you actually got out and shot something besides a target and quit brown nosing everyone you think helps your credibility here, you might really learn something. Flave has probably killed more with the wrong ammunition in his gun than you have packing your rifles around where there isn't any game or you just can't find any. You are out of your league here...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like I will be keeping mine for awhile.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sometimes there are deals that sneak by but a nice second edition should not be sold for less than $250, and that is too low. I bought a nice 1st edition for $235 or $285 last year but that was pure luck on ebay, a direct result of a poor ad. I also bought a beater, dog chewed first edition for $100.00 a couple of months ago. A dog had chewed one corner and damaged the cover but no pages were affected. The reference material is still there and my grandson loved it regardless.

I would ask $275-$285 each, minimum for those two.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The problem with all this pre 64 collection/investment stuff is that many (most) of the guys who GIS are aging or dying off.

Most young shooters are pissed they have to pay $500 for some mass-produced POS rifle, and are upset they don't get the scope for free with a lifetime warrant smile

Most don't know what a pre 64 is and could care less. These aren't the kind of people likely to buy Rules Book for $600-$700 bucks.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Bob you have a valid point and it's a shame really. I have often considered selling the M70 collection and the Parkers while there is still some semblance of a market. Keep the custom rifles, varmint rifles and a couple of small bore shotguns and call it good. Then I come to my senses and figure screw it I'll die with them smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, the market for old stuff isn't going to be what it is in the future. One example is prices asked for one of the most overpriced classic American shotgun out there which is Winchester Model 21. Like I told Winchester shotgun guys on another forums young buck like me looking for classic shotgun is going to pick something like: W.J. Jeffrey, Tolley, W&C Scott. One can get original 2&3/4" chambers, 1&1/4 oz heavy proof plus nice wood and some scroll for a lot less than butt ugly black actioned Winchester.
Personally I would not be left sitting on bunch of classic American stuff.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Bob, you are so right on this and selling fine stuff now in Canada, is difficult as our economy is tanking and younger "shooters" seem to think that cheap junk is the only way to go.

I honestly think that we are in the last stages of generalized public hunting here and also that Euro-style gun regs. as in how many one can own are coming soon.

Ironic, eh, as those who saved democracy in WWII die and we their children grow old, those coming up are so willing to just abandon the freedoms fought for with such huge sacrifice.......

Raining here, tends to get one down a mite.........

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Came across one at the Allentown Show this weekend in original factory shrink wrap with an asking price of $300.00. Don't believe it was signed and not sure of the edition....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Slavek
Yes, the market for old stuff isn't going to be what it is in the future. One example is prices asked for one of the most overpriced classic American shotgun out there which is Winchester Model 21. Like I told Winchester shotgun guys on another forums young buck like me looking for classic shotgun is going to pick something like: W.J. Jeffrey, Tolley, W&C Scott. One can get original 2&3/4" chambers, 1&1/4 oz heavy proof plus nice wood and some scroll for a lot less than butt ugly black actioned Winchester.

I thought you'd finally crawled off and died Mr EuroTrash...

why don't you just sit over on your side of the ocean and keep supporting radical Islam and Communism, and STFU on our side of the ocean? Butthead....

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Poconojack: The "originals" I ordered when they were first offered back in 1982'ish did not come "in original factory shrink wrap".
IIRC to get the dealer discount/wholesale pricing I had to order 12 (twelve) of the "standard" editions at one time to obtain (for free), a signed "deluxe" edition.
And if memory serves me the "second" edition did come from some sources with shrink wrap.
I have to hide my three "original" editions to keep from being "pestered" by Model 70 enthusiasts looking for them!
I read/use/refer to one of my "standard" editions and another standard and a deluxe remain as shipped - un-opened and no shrink wrapping.
I am not sure exactly what they are worth but I do know its one helluva lot more than they cost me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seafire

why don't you just sit over on your side of the ocean and keep supporting radical Islam and Communism, and STFU on our side of the ocean? Butthead....

Why this anger? It would be far easier to accept the fact that vintage SxS shotguns made in Birmingham, London or one of the provinces were far superior to anything made at the same time in USA. English fowlers from Thomas Bland, Greener or one one the makers mentioned above will be much better value than Winchester Model 21.

When it comes to repeating magazine sporting rifles (ie custom bench made bolt actioned rifle) the best were made in USA. It's kind of funny but one made in "long barn with windows" in small town Michigan USA was better than stuff from best shops of West London. These were bench made by several craftsmen and tested at 200yd range before being shipped to the customer.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Poconojack: The "originals" I ordered when they were first offered back in 1982'ish did not come "in original factory shrink wrap".
IIRC to get the dealer discount/wholesale pricing I had to order 12 (twelve) of the "standard" editions at one time to obtain (for free), a signed "deluxe" edition.
And if memory serves me the "second" edition did come from some sources with shrink wrap.
I have to hide my three "original" editions to keep from being "pestered" by Model 70 enthusiasts looking for them!
I read/use/refer to one of my "standard" editions and another standard and a deluxe remain as shipped - un-opened and no shrink wrapping.
I am not sure exactly what they are worth but I do know its one helluva lot more than they cost me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VG
Guess it was a second edition then. No matter, as I wasn't in the market and just posted as a current market perspective for this thread (it was still on the table at 3:30 in the afternoon). My well worn soft cover has served me well over the years....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

I bought a new paperback from Roger Rule last december for a "C" note.
If you just want one to read…………..

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Seafire

Are slavs considered Europeans?

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
BobinNH et al are correct. Those of us who care about such things are becoming fewer each day. I only have three pre 64s, so I do not consider myself a collector. I have several older Brownings. about fifteen years ago,I took a '63 copy of a Superposed Pigeon Grade twenty to the shop for a new pin. The dealer offered me $6500 to leave it with him. No way! However, today I doubt that it would fetch 4K. A couple of years ago, I bought a minty hand engraved BAR Gd III on GB for a little over $1300. I thought the gun would go for 18-19 perhaps and had submitted an automatic bid capped at 15. GdII s were selling around 11-12.

The new crop of shooter seems to be mostly into plastic, laminate, stainless or flat finished stuff. If you can't pick it up at Academy, Wally World, or Dicks for a song, forget about it.

Luck in disposing of your friend's books. I dispersed an estate for a family member a while back. I was literally years getting the right money for a high grade rifle, but it finally happened.

jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 70 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,126
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.