Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A friend and I spent the last 2 days putting in railroad ties for a 16x20 shop we're building on my property in Petersvile. The plan was to put in 9 posts and we managed to get 8 put in but we ran into a huge rock right where the 9th post was supposed to go. It's roughly 6'x6'x2' so we can't move it and blasting it is out of the question.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get that post put in? We're thinking about drilling a hole into it, putting a piece of rebar in with an epoxy, drilling the rr tie and putting them together then cross bracing it with some of the other posts. Thoughts?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Drill several holes in the rock, drop rebar in each, put a sonatube around them and fill the tube with concrete... set an anchor in the top.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If the rock is deep enough, it might make a good foundation. Do like you said with the rebar and pour concrete around it.

Or, jack hammer the bitch out of there.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

AkMtnHntr:

You could drill the hole with a rock chisel and hammer. You might use up a few chisels in the process and it would be difficult to get the hole wide enough to accept a 6x6 post.

Or you could rent an electric jack hammer and use it to drill the hole in the rock. It will take a while since electric jack hammers are kind of whimpy, but you're only doing a small job and that is the tool for the job.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Drill several holes in the rock, drop rebar in each, put a sonatube around them and fill the tube with concrete... set an anchor in the top.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or drill the rebar in a pattern that the tie can fit in between, frame up around the whole thing and concrete it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
More info, this rock is only about 8" below the surface so not sure if the soba tube would work but that's a good idea. There's no way we can drill a hole big enough to set the post in (using railroad ties) either. We thought about trying to bust it with a jack hammer but I don't have the power source handy, my property is about a mile off the road and getting equipment in there during the summer is damn near impossible because of all the muskeg/swamps.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
sonatube would be my choice, with enough and large enoguh bar..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't 'attach' anything to a rock that might potentially shift as the frost wills. A single, simple hole and rod (rebar) to locate and hold a block or other supporting post is all I'd do in your circumstances.

When we put up our cabin on the windy west coast of the state a dozen years ago...it's all permafrost here.... I intentionally tried to locate it on the biggest rocks I could find and just built on pads sitting on those rocks.

[Linked Image]

So far it has worked perfectly with no corrections needed after the first year or two.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 05/13/16.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I still have a lot to learn.. permafrost and all.

But how is putting a tie on top of a rock that will move, better than a concrete tube on top of a rock that will move?

Ability to cut or shim the RR tie is all I've come up with so far?

Which brings up movement... if on "piers" and due to permafrost and geo issues, would you figure a way to float the building on the piers instead of "bolt" down?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
pier block with adjustable bracket.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like Arts idea, but you could also consider a post and pad setup. Pad sets on the rock with foam under it or sandwiched in with the post on top. That's done in the bush a lot. Probably a 3'X3' pad. Good luck, that rock would have to be where the LAST post was going.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I can tell you that there is no permafrost on our property, we've already put in 8 rail road ties and we hand dug them all in about 3 hours. If the rock was a bit more flat on top I'd just do the pier block as Dan suggested but I don't know if they make them big enough for a rail road tie.

Steelhead

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Have your own welded up. No big deal

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

And surprisingly cheap from most decent welders.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I can tell you that there is no permafrost on our property, we've already put in 8 rail road ties and we hand dug them all in about 3 hours. If the rock was a bit more flat on top I'd just do the pier block as Dan suggested but I don't know if they make them big enough for a rail road tie.

With that extra info it makes it more obvious to KISS it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would be just as concerned, if not more so, with what the annual frost might do to that rock in terms of shifting. (And the same is true of the posts you've set.) But as long as the foundation can shift without tearing the building apart, you should be good. A lot (most) of the homes built on the permafrost out our way have very heavy beams set of pads. The floor joists are build on these main beams. The beams are stout enough: laminated 2x6 or 2x8 d-fir lumber sandwiched to a thickness of 16 - 24 inches, that they don't flex a lot if one of the pads rises or falls with the seasons and cause great damage to the building. (Doors might not latch properly during some months of the year without shimming.) Too light a 'foundation' beneath the floor might allow a single post or pad to affect the building significantly.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

And surprisingly cheap from most decent welders.

Get it built the way you want it. Get your own pier block and have the saddle and post welded up. Use all thread for the bottom with washers and nuts so you can adjust as needed. You can have the saddle made any size you want.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I would be just as concerned, if not more so, with what the annual frost might do to that rock in terms of shifting. (And the same is true of the posts you've set.) But as long as the foundation can shift without tearing the building apart, you should be good. A lot (most) of the homes built on the permafrost out our way have very heavy beams set of pads. The floor joists are build on these main beams. The beams are stout enough: laminated 2x6 or 2x8 d-fir lumber sandwiched to a thickness of 16 - 24 inches, that they don't flex a lot if one of the pads rises or falls with the seasons and cause great damage to the building. (Doors might not latch properly during some months of the year without shimming.) Too light a 'foundation' beneath the floor might allow a single post or pad to affect the building significantly.

There won't be any shifting of the post we already put in the ground, the soil at the bottom of the holes was a gray heavy Sandy/gravel type. I talked to a guy that's lived out there for over 35 years and he said the ground in these ridges froze maybe a foot and a half. We put about 20lbs or so of 3/4" rock in the bottom of the holes and put a foot at the bottom of each tie so I don't believe there will be any movement of the posts.

I may go the saddle route as that seems like the best option.

Steelhead

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Is the 9th post a corner or middle post??

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Middle post, front of the shop.

Steelhead

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,566
Posts18,453,797
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.