Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 4ager
Might just need to go buy the abused Nylon 66 out of the local pawn....

I like those, too.

Except, they're selling for a lot more than in past years.

DF

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Owning any 10/22 is like being married to the ugliest gal in 4 counties.................

that cooks good.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by cisco1

Owning any 10/22 is like being married to the ugliest gal in 4 counties.................

that cooks good.
A nylon 66 is about the only thing worse.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
That would be her sisty ugler.

Last edited by cisco1; 05/19/16.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If you can take a Nylon 66 apart and put it back together, you've just graduated from bush league to big league... grin

It ain't a job for the beginner...

DF

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
If you can take a Nylon 66 apart and put it back together, you've just graduated from bush league to big league... grin

DF
Well, I can and have taken a nylon 66 apart and put it back together. Anybody who can do that and still consider it a good rifle ain't too bright. Sure they're tough and go bang on a very regular basis but NOTHING about the design is conducive to good accuracy. NOTHING. Let's see, affix the barrel to a very flexible plastic stock, then affix the rear sight/scope to a stamped sheet steel receiver cover that's not connected to the barrel at all but instead held to the flexible plastic stock with a couple of through screws that allow a bit of slop/shifting between the flexible stock and the reciver cover. Pure design genius !

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Blackheart

Owning any 10/22 is like being married to the ugliest gal in 4 counties.................that cooks good.
A nylon 66 is about the only thing worse.

That would be her sisty ugler.

You guys can have the ugly sisters. Me? I'm taking the beautiful, high-maintenance Prom Queen out for dinner. And then hooking up later, with the head cheerleader.....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
10-22 Is the most sensible choice. That said, after decades of serving me coon hunting, trapping, plinking, utility, my 10-22 moved out to Missoura where my grandsons use it a lot. I've still got my Belgian Browning which, IMHO is a work of art. Also my Nylon 66 sees some use (really attached to that because it was one of those things I wanted as a kid but couldn't afford.)

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
post 1958 Remington 552, ain't too shabby...............bun tingmeister

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF
Well, I can and have taken a nylon 66 apart and put it back together. Anybody who can do that and still consider it a good rifle ain't too bright. Sure they're tough and go bang on a very regular basis but NOTHING about the design is conducive to good accuracy. NOTHING. Let's see, affix the barrel to a very flexible plastic stock, then affix the rear sight/scope to a stamped sheet steel receiver cover that's not connected to the barrel at all but instead held to the flexible plastic stock with a couple of through screws that allow a bit of slop/shifting between the flexible stock and the reciver cover. Pure design genius !

I own one and I like it. I use the stock iron sights. I used electrical tape to secure the barrel in the stock - otherwise it was minute of old Chevy accuracy - wise.
I learned to lubricate it with a soft pencil - never use oil.

IC B3

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Kiddies who recommend the 10/22 just dont know any better. They probably think the Ruger American is really accurate too. Ignorance is what sells the 10/22.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I can't believe that anyone still buys Marlin 60s, or any current production Marlin 22 for that matter. To compare a Marlin 60 to a 10/22 and say it's better in any way aside from accuracy, which I admit it usually is out of the box, would be lying to yourself. The longevity and reliability of the Ruger is pretty unbeatable. And they use THE best magazine ever put in a rimfire anything. The days of unreliable hicap 10/22 mags are behind us too thanks to Ruger and the BX series of magazines, screw Butler creek and their Hotlips crap.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TheKid
I can't believe that anyone still buys Marlin 60s, or any current production Marlin 22 for that matter. To compare a Marlin 60 to a 10/22 and say it's better in any way aside from accuracy, which I admit it usually is out of the box, would be lying to yourself. The longevity and reliability of the Ruger is pretty unbeatable. And they use THE best magazine ever put in a rimfire anything. The days of unreliable hicap 10/22 mags are behind us too thanks to Ruger and the BX series of magazines, screw Butler creek and their Hotlips crap.
I've seen more constant jammer 10-22/s than you can shake a stick at. The 10-22 is another one that you look at the design of and shake your head thinking WTF was Bill Ruger thinking ? One action screw and a barrel band and you expect good accuracy ? One extractor that is too far from the breechface to hold the shell case firmly to it and you expect top notch extraction/ejection ? Oh, and I've seen my share of those rotary magazines that didn't feed worth a shyt too. I agree with the above poster that the 10-22 is bought by folks out of ignorance. Then when they find out it doesn't shoot worth a shyt {DUH !} they set about rebuilding the thing in an effort to compensate for it's basic design flaws and shytty loose tolerances. The 10-22 is the mini-14 of the rimfire world.

Last edited by Blackheart; 05/19/16.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
597, 10/22, model 60. All are good. Marlin most accurate, 10/22 most aftermarket stuff, 597 I like it better out of the box overall.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Investment cast firearms are so classy.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by dla

I own one and I like it. I use the stock iron sights. I used electrical tape to secure the barrel in the stock - otherwise it was minute of old Chevy accuracy - wise.
I learned to lubricate it with a soft pencil - never use oil.

The proverbial meeting of the minds right here.

You two dumb fugks wouldn't know a muzzle from a dilldo.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Investment cast firearms are so classy.

A sex change will cheer you up.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by TheKid
I've seen more constant jammer 10-22/s than you can shake a stick at. The 10-22 is another one that you look at the design of and shake your head thinking WTF was Bill Ruger thinking ? One action screw and a barrel band and you expect good accuracy ? One extractor that is too far from the breechface to hold the shell case firmly to it and you expect top notch extraction/ejection ? Oh, and I've seen my share of those rotary magazines that didn't feed worth a shyt too. I agree with the above poster that the 10-22 is bought by folks out of ignorance. Then when they find out it doesn't shoot worth a shyt {DUH !} they set about rebuilding the thing in an effort to compensate for it's basic design flaws and shytty loose tolerances. The 10-22 is the mini-14 of the rimfire world.

o come on guys.......................

you only gotta sink a buttload of money into a 10/22 buying after market this after market that to get it to shoot accurately and reliably

whats the big deal that an old school Winchester 190 or 290 with a semi decent scope on it and good ammo will run with a souped up 10/22 any day of of the week and fall short only in the fact that it is tube fed and slower to reload than a mag fed 10/22

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Travis,
You still pissing with the gals?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Totally at odds with my experience (one apiece) with both models.

The Winchester strung shots higher and higher as the barrel heated up, to the point it would have missed anything smaller than a pony. Pretty much a crap-o-matic.

The Walmart special SS Ruger (checkered beech stock) was dependable and accurate enough for most purposes, right out of the box. Trigger was a bit heavy, but pretty crisp. Regrettably, I sold it when I bought a CZ 455 (also gone).

My next .22 auto ideally will be an SA22, but a 10/22 would be my second choice, especially if I find one of the fancy ones in a LGS.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (222Sako, 163bc, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.