Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
so revolvers have none either.

We NEVER used safeties in 4H. We taught safe handling.

And if folks think a kid can't flip a safety off they are nuts. The safeties on my 1911s take much less pressure than a glock trigger.

The issue here isn't a glock its stupidity. Like it normally is.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
Sorry, Glock guys, but a "safety" that is disengaged by pulling the trigger is NOT a safety.

The world would be a better place if all guns had 'no' safeties.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sako76
Anyone know how many lbs. the DA trigger pull on this Glock is?

Stock,around 5.5 lbs.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Glock took the cheapest way out, plain and simple. It cost less to settle out of court than it would cost to fight and win.
I wish it was different, but that's our justice system.
I don't know how this would effect future cases, but I believe it sets a dangerous example. Hopefully if and when it comes up again, the gun makers will fight it. Money isn't the only thing to lose in these cases. If the NRA won't chip in on fighting, maybe we gun owners should.
7mm

Settling open the wallet for the next dumbass that comes along. Glock must have felt that they would lose and settled. I wish companies would invest in fighting. When they win, that puts up a big red flag to lawyers and their clients to think twice.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You fight when you are right, no matter the cost.

You never set the precedent if you can avoid it.

But then the idiots always think its "free" money.

All it does is make the cost of the next glock go up...

All because someone was stupid.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Chavez should have been charged with criminal negligence or some such at the least....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Sako76
Anyone know how many lbs. the DA trigger pull on this Glock is?

Standard is approx 5.5

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

The cop in question is paying a very high price for his lack of discipline and training. With familiarity sometimes complacency isn't far behind.

A Marine and a LA cop has a lack of training? You nailed it with complacency.

Some of the most clueless dumbfuqks I've ever been around were military and LE when it came to dealing with firearms. Downright scary, a couple of them.

I can vouch for that. Our solution was to identify those with shaky handgun "ethics" and undergo remedial training. Not everyone in LE has a strong background with firearms.
We never "dumbed down" the group but elevated those who needed it. That developed confidence and good "muscle memory".

Last edited by bigwhoop; 05/15/16.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Glock took the cheapest way out, plain and simple. It cost less to settle out of court than it would cost to fight and win.
I wish it was different, but that's our justice system.
I don't know how this would effect future cases, but I believe it sets a dangerous example. Hopefully if and when it comes up again, the gun makers will fight it. Money isn't the only thing to lose in these cases. If the NRA won't chip in on fighting, maybe we gun owners should.
7mm

Yup. Happens every day.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
If the kid had shot himself, the dad would have been facing probable jail time.

If the kid had shot someone else the dad would have been facing damages, and probable jail time.

But the kid shots his dad and the dad gets a wheel chair and a pay check.

Things don't seem to add up. Maybe there is more to it, maybe Glock was just cutting its losses.

I don't want a wheelchair or a pay check. Moral here; do better securing your firearm and your kids.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
yes, cutting losses up front. But NOW the losses on the downstream side are going to look like a flood.

Just like Remington and the, IMHO, no issue trigger, trigger issue...

I'd take every last one of those old Rem triggers... but I digress

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Some of the most clueless dumbfuqks I've ever been around were military and LE when it came to dealing with firearms. Downright scary, a couple of them.

This has also been my experience...also that every single one of them I have met thinks they know everything.

Some do...most don't.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
[/quote]
Settling open the wallet for the next dumbass that comes along. Glock must have felt that they would lose and settled. I wish companies would invest in fighting. When they win, that puts up a big red flag to lawyers and their clients to think twice. [/quote]

Settling is the lesser of two evils in this case and does more to prevent future suits than winning at trial would. the story about Red Adair that someone posted above is a way different situation than a products liability case. Plaintiff lawyers with the money to bring this usually aren't dissuaded by others having lost in the past. They're usually arrogant enough to think they will win because they're better trial lawyers than the guys who have lost.

With an isolated instance like a well blow out its worth going to trial. But a products liability defendant is going to do everything they can to prevent a trial record from being created if they can do it in a cost effective manner. Glock had already had the case dismissed which was partially reversed by the appellate courts. This case looks pretty winnable by Glock due to plaintiff's negligence but there are two problems with proceeding to trial.

First, it was a pretty liberal venue where most jurors know little or nothing about guns other than they are "dangerous". so a slight chance existed that a liability verdict would go against Glock. This (if upheld on appeal and the appellate court had already indicated which way it was leaning) opens the door to an estoppel claim where that model Glock (and all similar glocks) would have legally been determined to be defective. Every plaintiff in every glock case after that wouldn't have to show that the design was defective (i.e. that there was a safer alternative) but only that they suffered an injury caused by a Glock. This is a manufacturer's nightmare and usually results in an automatic recall. Anyone remember the Remington Mohawk 600? Recalled after Joe Jamail hit them in a single case in Austin where a boy had a discharge while pointing the gun at his father. This case settled but i would bet the plaintiff's negligence drug down the amount by a fair bit.

Second, they don't want to give plaintiff attorney's the benefit of thousands of pages of their engineer's and executives testimony. Most of the big mass torts such as asbestos, tobacco, breast implants, etc. were not successful in the first several trials. Plaintiffs only started winning once they had the benefit of being able to review multiple trial transcripts to be able to game plan what exactly the defendants' defense and testimony was going to be before they ever filed suit. So a settlement wasn't just about this one case, it was about keeping a clean slate with private information and defense strategies staying private.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,633
Posts18,455,226
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.