Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I have had 3-4 7mm Remington Mags and really love the original concept and original ballistics (3260 with a 150 and 175 at 3020) but have a hard time loving the actual cartridge.

Today, the cartridge struggles to get anywhere near original ballistics. Mine have all been finicky, though some have been accurate with certain loads. What I haven't achieved with the big 7 is accuracy, velocity and lack of pressure with a given load. In fact, I have struggled to get much more than hot .280 or .280 AI velocity without pressure signs.

I have read in multiple places that the combination of a shorter neck and just the right shoulder angle lead to quick throat erosion, which causes some of the problems with the cartridges. My assumption is that this is what makes the cartridge in my words "finicky."

I can't seem to find an AI version of the cartridge on any reamer list so am thinking of designing a wildcat, unless something similar exists. My goals are as follows:

1. Stable, accurate cartridge that is not subject to odd pressure excursions.
2. Targeted ballistics of 3000 with a 175, 3100 with a 160 and 3200 with a 150 with below 64,000 PSI MAP (not having a ballistic lab, this may be hard to determine).
3. Ability to use 7mm Remington Mag ammo with no adverse consequences to gun or brass (other than fire forming).

I am thinking starting with a 7mm Rem case and:

1. increasing shoulder angle to 35-40 degrees
2. possible decreasing body taper, but maybe not
3. increasing leade to closer to tight Weatherby type freebore, Maybe .250" freebore of just over bullet diameter.

The 7mm Weatherby acheives all my goals other than number three so maybe that would be cheaper. Not sure what custom reamers and dies cost.

For those, who have created or messed with wildcats, what are your thoughts on the above?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not a 7mm Mashburn? It will do everything your asking and then some.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Les7603006
Why not a 7mm Mashburn? It will do everything your asking and then some.

I want available brass of the correct head stamp plus it probably would't be the best idea to shoot 7mm Rem Mag brass in the Mashburn chamber, though, I'm sure it could be done if needed.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Get the Weatherby or the Mashburn. The homework has already been done. No sense reinventing the wheel as MANY have BTDT way before you even start. wink

The 7 Rem Mag has three drawbacks IMO:

a) Deep bullet seating (unnecessary in a 3.6" action like a rem 700 or M70)

b) neck is short

c) limited capacity.

You can't do anything to significantly improve the thing without too much hassle. The Mashburn is a FAR superior design in a belted H&H case.

If you want to max it out,then seat a 160 gr bullet to the base of the case neck,and put it in a 3.6" box.Throat accordingly. This is kind of like the free bore in the Weatherby.

After maybe 5-6 rifles built this way going clear back to the early 80's, I decided i don't want to roll that way anymore. I take the 7 Rem mag for what it is and built a Mashburn.....FAR superior and willing to please. Friend doing the same thing, have said the same things.

Headstamp brass? Get the Weatherby and problem solved.

But a pal who used to post here has killed all varieties of NA BG trophies 3 times over .. He is Dallas SCI member. He is working on Round #4 with a 7mm Mashburn Super and has traveled to Mexico and Canada several times with his hand loads the last 5-6 hers and never a problem.Killed a record book desert ram in Mexico recently on his second hunt.

He can afford anything he wants and today uses the Mashburn exclusively. With 175 gr TBBC's, he say it kills like his 300 Weatherby. smile

No one seems to mind that 7mm Mashburn brass is head stamped 300 win mag. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Get the Weatherby or the Mashburn. The homework has already been done. No sense reinventing the wheel as MANY have BTDT way before you even start. wink

The 7 Rem Mag has three drawbacks IMO:

a) Deep bullet seating (unnecessary in a 3.6" action like a rem 700 or M70)

b) neck is short

c) limited capacity.

You can't do anything to significantly improve the thing without too much hassle. The Mashburn is a FAR superior design in a belted H&H case.

If you want to max it out,then seat a 160 gr bullet to the base of the case neck,and put it in a 3.6" box.Throat accordingly. This is kind of like the free bore in the Weatherby.

After maybe 5-6 rifles built this way going clear back to the early 80's, I decided i don't want to roll that way anymore. I take the 7 Rem mag for what it is and built a Mashburn.....FAR superior and willing to please. Friend doing the same thing, have said the same things.

Headstamp brass? Get the Weatherby and problem solved.

But a pal who used to post here has killed all varieties of NA BG trophies 3 times over .. He is Dallas SCI member. He is working on Round #4 with a 7mm Mashburn Super and has traveled to Mexico and Canada several times with his hand loads the last 5-6 hers and never a problem.Killed a record book desert ram in Mexico recently on his second hunt.

He can afford anything he wants and today uses the Mashburn exclusively. With 175 gr TBBC's, he say it kills like his 300 Weatherby. smile

No one seems to mind that 7mm Mashburn brass is head stamped 300 win mag. smile

Bob, seeing how the 7mm rem mag is a POS. Maybe you can sell me that Len Brownell 7mm rem mag real cheap... Ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I have had 3-4 7mm Remington Mags and really love the original concept and original ballistics (3260 with a 150 and 175 at 3020) but have a hard time loving the actual cartridge.

Today, the cartridge struggles to get anywhere near original ballistics. Mine have all been finicky, though some have been accurate with certain loads. What I haven't achieved with the big 7 is accuracy, velocity and lack of pressure with a given load. In fact, I have struggled to get much more than hot .280 or .280 AI velocity without pressure signs.

I have read in multiple places that the combination of a shorter neck and just the right shoulder angle lead to quick throat erosion, which causes some of the problems with the cartridges. My assumption is that this is what makes the cartridge in my words "finicky."

I can't seem to find an AI version of the cartridge on any reamer list so am thinking of designing a wildcat, unless something similar exists. My goals are as follows:

1. Stable, accurate cartridge that is not subject to odd pressure excursions.
2. Targeted ballistics of 3000 with a 175, 3100 with a 160 and 3200 with a 150 with below 64,000 PSI MAP (not having a ballistic lab, this may be hard to determine).
3. Ability to use 7mm Remington Mag ammo with no adverse consequences to gun or brass (other than fire forming).

I am thinking starting with a 7mm Rem case and:

1. increasing shoulder angle to 35-40 degrees
2. possible decreasing body taper, but maybe not
3. increasing leade to closer to tight Weatherby type freebore, Maybe .250" freebore of just over bullet diameter.

The 7mm Weatherby acheives all my goals other than number three so maybe that would be cheaper. Not sure what custom reamers and dies cost.

For those, who have created or messed with wildcats, what are your thoughts on the above?

Mashburn... This is my first thought..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
OTOH I don't understand people struggling so much with the 7 Rem Mag. I have never owned one that would not give 3050 with a 160 gr bullet and 3200 with a 140. 150's sail out at about 3150 with JOC's old H4831loads.

Of course some are stubborn but they tend to be factory rifles with so-so barrels.

They also tend to shoot very well for me.

depsite all the back there is absolutely nothing i could killed with a Mashburn or a Weatherby that i could not kill as thoroughly or as far away with a properly loaded 7 Rem mag.

Sometimes we rifle looies worry about absolutely nothing at all. smile

[Linked Image]

Geez......pulled one cry

[Linked Image]

160 Bitterroot at 3090 fps . 6x6 bull elk. 7Rem mag. Neck smashed.

[Linked Image]

140 BBC and AB recovered from mule deer and black bear (DRT) started at 3200 fps from a 7 Rem mag.

[Linked Image]

Nuff said. We sure know how to complicate things on here.... wink smile

me included...

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/15/16.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Have a min spec 7RM reamer made up with a min spec 7WBY throat on the end. Handload accordingly.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Bob, How did your long-throated 7mm Rem Mags compare to the 7mm Weatherby in the velocity department?

Nosler shows case capacities to be identical between the two rounds with 160s.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bob, How did your long-throated 7mm Rem Mags compare to the 7mm Weatherby in the velocity department?

Nosler shows case capacities to be identical between the two rounds with 160s.

DMD: It seems to depend on the barrel. Keep in mind I have never owned a 7mm Weatherby so can't give a rifle to rifle comparison,and not sure it matters much anyway. I don't think one rifle is really conclusive.

But from a 24" barrel the best I got from any of my 7 Rem Mags was 3125 with a 160. That was a 24" 9 twist krieger throated for a 160 NPT with bullet base seated even with the base of the neck.I have seen some go faster but think friends and I were really pouring the coal to it.I just do not like doing that anymore.

I find that cases like the 7mm Dakota and 7mm Mashburn simply give more velocity because they hold more powder.

By saying that I don't mean to imply that the 7 Rem Mag is anemic.It s one of my handful of real favorites. smile

I thinkthat the Weatherby is loaded to higher pressures and has free bore, which should show some more speed.Adding free bore is like adding capacity.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Every Remington 700 and Browning A bolt stainless stalker I had with the addition of a good muzzle break, bedded, barrel freefloated would shoot tiny groups with 120,140, and 150g bullets. Current rifle shoots the 162g SST(very tough bullet) at 3130 fps with Retumbo and 215's, bullet touching the lands(bug hole three shot groups).

I really don't know the reason to improve the 7 RM unless you want to go to a Mashburn, then 160's at 3200 are ho humm(thank you Bob!)

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I just bought an early 80s Rem 700 Classic in 7mm Rem. Got it home and think it is unfired. I may have to get an action wrench and some take off barrels and do some experimenting.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

It's called the 7mm Hart.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm with BobinNH on the 7 Rem Mag. It may have some drawbacks but it's not a total loser. I've had a few of them. My current one has no problem getting 140's to 3300 with Rel22 or H4831sc and it's Rel25/160 Accubond load would probably average near 3000, I've never done the math. This is a factory 700 24" barrel.
The only drawback it really suffers from is lack of kool

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Grand

Thank you. Good to know. Can you use factory 7mm Rem to fire form?

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

You don't mean a 7x61 S&H do you?

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by rembo
I'm with BobinNH on the 7 Rem Mag. It may have some drawbacks but it's not a total loser. I've had a few of them. My current one has no problem getting 140's to 3300 with Rel22 or H4831sc and it's Rel25/160 Accubond load would probably average near 3000, I've never done the math. This is a factory 700 24" barrel.

I think the drawback for me is the 7mm Rem has been a disappointing cartridge for me. I always walk away from it thinking why don't I just use a .270? I am currently shooting 150 NPTs out of my 24" .270 and with RL26 getting 3000 fps and good accuracy without pushing hard. I have had difficulty getting a 7mm Rem to do much better but others have more experience with it and get it to do more.

Will it work on game? Absolutely. I'm just not enamored.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rembo

I think the drawback for me is the 7mm Rem has been a disappointing cartridge for me. I always walk away from it thinking why don't I just use a .270? I am currently shooting 150 NPTs out of my 24" .270 and with RL26 getting 3000 fps and good accuracy without pushing hard. I have had difficulty getting a 7mm Rem to do much better but others have more experience with it and get it to do more.

Will it work on game? Absolutely. I'm just not enamored.

Lots of people have struggled with thee same comparisons. Sure you can align things n a rifle chambered for 270 so that it gets closeto a 7 Rem mag, but that will vary across the board from rifle to rifle.

On weighted averages in the same barrel length, the 7 RemMag will always outdistance the 270.And the more you run them both past 300yards the more visible this will become....provided of course you run them both optimally.

The reason sis very simple....the 7 Rem Mag is a bigger case holding more powder and capable of greater velocity. That is a constant that will never change, even with modern slow burning powders.

If you can get the 270 to do "X", at the same pressures you can get a 7 Rem mag to beat it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have factory 7mmRM in Rem700, Sav110, Ruger #1, and Browning 1885.

I have built 7mmRM rifles on a VZ24 action, a Rem700 action, Mosin Nagant action, and a couple on 1908 Brazilian Mauser actions.

That is (9) 7mmRemMag rifles, and I will build a 10th by October.

Hodgdon max load is 59 gr H4350 with 140 gr 2,927 fps 50,000 CUP, but I find the threshold of extractor groove growth to be at 72 gr.
I find 70 gr 3.34" Nosler Ballistic tip moly has plenty of safety margin for all my rifles over all my hunting temperature ranges to ensure long brass life over many years. It varies between rifles, but typically 3400 fps over the chrono.

I have shot enough animals with a 300WM and with the 270 to know that with my humble skill level, the 7mmRM is the highest power/ accuracy combination in a 10 pound rifle/scope/sling/bipod/rear bag/ammo total.

If I could pack around heavier rifles, I would start building 338s.
If I want to build an ultralight, I will go down to 270, 6.5-06, 25-06, or 6mmRem.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
IN my 700's in 7RM:

72-73g of R#25
Win mag primer-***
154g Hornady Sp
bullet touching the lands
sub 1/2" groups
3200+ fps
Rem brass
have shot this load in half a dozen 7 mags, very accurate and fast; rough on primer pockets; very low ES

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Hodgdon max load is 59 gr H4350 with 140 gr 2,927 fps 50,000 CUP, but I find the threshold of extractor groove growth to be at 72 gr.
I find 70 gr 3.34" Nosler Ballistic tip moly has plenty of safety margin for all my rifles over all my hunting temperature ranges to ensure long brass life over many years. It varies between rifles, but typically 3400 fps over the chrono.

So your "safety margin" load is 11 grains of powder and over 400 fps above book? I am beginning to see how you went through nine rifles.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A lot depends on how hot you are willing to load.

To take Keith's load as an example to compare, I load 70 gr of RL22 with a 150 BT and 150 NPT for a velocity of about 3125. I know I can go higher,likely up to just under 3200 but what for?

Accuracy is excellent to 600 yards, and the load will knock the socks off any NA big game.

No 270 is going to safely give you 3100-3200 fps with a 150 gr bullet. Many will not do that well with a 130 from a 22" barrel.

here's my own velocity thresholds with the 7 RM, YMMV:

140-3200-3250 (yes I have killed game running them clear over 3300).

150- 3150

160- 3000-3100.(Mostly they settle in at 3050 or so).

175- 2900-2950

None of this is anemic

When i see these velocities I STOP. You won't find a 270 or 280 that will duplicate them. If you argue with me I will ignore you. smile Good luck I wish you all the best.

I have seen the 7 Rem Mags that give 3200 fps with 160's,and 3400 fps with 140. Those velocities are the province of bigger jugged 7mm's like the Mashburn and Dakota, LRM, etc. I would be very uncomfortable seeing those velocities from a 7 RM. You may not blow yourself up but you are teetering on the edge IMHO. YMMV.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here 's a picture sent by Rick Camuglia. Rick runs a Mashburn with 195's to 1500+ yards.

On the left is a 7 Rem mag, in the middle a 7mm Mashburn Super, and on the right a 300 Win Mag. We can easily see the 7 Mashburn and 300 Win Mag are longer. Th mash burn has the longer neck.Hader to see but it also has less taper. It does not look that much bigger but a charge of 75 gr of H1000 does not even come to the base of the neck! Water capacity is 90 gr.

How'd that happen? Smarter guys than us worked htis out in the 1950's,and optimized the cartridge to give OVER 3000 fps....with a 22" barrel....with a 175 gr bullet. The most modern 7mm magnums don't really beat those performance levels by all that much.

To wildcat the 7RM where you gonna go? Blow it out? it'a already pretty straight. Blow the shoulder forward? That makes the neck shorter than it is which is already a drawback.Compromises bullet seating.

Simply put the 7RM does not have enough case to work with if you want the next step up in velocity.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I am a fairly careful handloader and the 7mm Mag makes me nervous. My last 7mag an early SS barrel Remington that was really clean wouldn't hit 2800 before ejector marks and cratered primers with 175 NPTs and a few feet per second better with 160s. That was with Retumbo.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I played with two Sakos also and they weren't much better, though they were accurate with 160s at 2800-2850.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I am a fairly careful handloader and the 7mm Mag makes me nervous. My last 7mag an early SS barrel Remington that was really clean wouldn't hit 2800 before ejector marks and cratered primers with 175 NPTs and a few feet per second better with 160s. That was with Retumbo.

With those results I don't blame you for being shaky on it. That's pretty freaky but goes to show what can happen to a cartridge when the barrels/chambers, etc et vary so much.

Of course you gotta watch RETUMBO.....that shidt WILL jump around on you lot to lot,and gets touchy at top end. We used it in the Mashburn where it recorded some very high velocity but we did not trust it.

That's why we use H1000 today. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Recent 7 Rem Mag play time has involved these rifles:

M70 Classic action, Brux #2 9 twist,std that and box. Bansner stock.

[Linked Image]

M70 Classic action, Brux #2 9 twist, std throat.RBorden RR stock, 6X SS MQ

[Linked Image]

Interesting thing is that both these cut rifle barrels will show markedly different max charges than my custom 7 Rem Mag which uses a Douglas barrel, despite throats being more or less standard for all three.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob you ever play with a 7-300? Seems a lot easier to neck the 300 Winny straight down instead of forming cases for the Mashburn.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Bob you ever play with a 7-300? Seems a lot easier to neck the 300 Winny straight down instead of forming cases for the Mashburn.

Bellydeep I have formed cases for it but never chambered a rifle. One buddy of mine on here has/had a reamer.

For all practical purposes, that's the 7mm Practical developed by Nathan Foster of NZ, but really it's been around a long time.

I like the Mashburn better due to the longer neck, A short neck has been a criticism of the 300 Win Mag, too.

But ballistically the Practical and the Mashburn do the same things.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put on an 8.5 twist, throat it for 180 scenars and burn H1000. Live long and prosper.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 7mmRemMag reamers are SAAMI dimension reamers, but I load hunting ammo at 3.34" like a 300WM or 30-06.

The SAAMI OAL for 7mmRM is 3.29" and I ignore that.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
7mm RM on the left, 7mm Hart on the Right. No significant difference in performance.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
7mm RM on the left, 7mm Hart on the Right. No significant difference in performance.

[Linked Image]

That's interesting!

I guess no one could come to grips that Art Mashburn figured out the belted 7mm long before the 7 RM showed up.

They still haven't made anything any better on a belted case.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

[Linked Image]

Wow! That looks almost exactly like a short necked Mashburn!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Only shorter through the body, too.Circus freak. wink

That guy wasted his time and money. He should have listened more carefully to Art, Warren, and Hagel. smile

If you're gonna do anything to make a 7RM easier to work with I'd roll like Rick did and throat one long on a 700 or M70. BTDT.

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/16/16.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Bob, are your above 7mag classics using the longer box?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If playing with a short box and not dead-set on using 7RM brass, the 7mm WSM is a great alternative. I'm sending the 195gr Hybrid at 2865fps and the 162gr AM at 3090fps with great brass life.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Bob, are your above 7mag classics using the longer box?

pathfinder they could be H&H length as you know. But both were put together after the Mashburn build,so I had pretty much made up my mind the Mashburn was simply better,and take the 7 RM for what it is. So I left he boxes and throats 30/06 length.

Actually both those rifles have been recently sold. I did not see any sense having them around when I have the Mashburn.

I am down to one 7RM.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bellydeep
you ever play with a 7-300? Seems a lot easier to neck the 300 Winny straight down instead of forming cases for the Mashburn.

It is......no FFing....no custom dies.....

7 Mag w/162 vs 7x300 w/183SMK.....

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
STW...BTDT.

No interest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
STW...BTDT. No interest.

Re-read.....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oh....7mm/300 Win?

I'll still take the Mashburn. Like the longer neck and forming that shoulder is done with a single pass through a die.No more work than the 7mm/300 for me. i really don't mind it. Not an issue.

It's easy.

You are right though...I used to make 7mm/300WM cases with a 7 RM neck die back in the 80's...... I just never wanted one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

All I did was answer his question......

I went with the 7x300 for the reasons I stated.

We all know about your passion/obsession with the Mashburn.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Curious as to what brand of brass is being used by those not achieving the desired velocities? In my limited experience with the cartridge, I get pressure signs in Norma brass at significantly lower velocities than with W-W cases.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by aalf

All I did was answer his question......

I went with the 7x300 for the reasons I stated.

We all know about your passion/obsession with the Mashburn.

Little late in my BG hunting career to worry about "passion". and obsessions. I can't afford "passions", but I do know something good when I see it.

You don't really know me at all. I'm not "passionate" about any cartridge. They are tools to me,to kill BG animals,and always have been.That's why I have used so many.

But you could get that impression because I try to answer questions people askSo you can impute into what I post what you want.

See ya later.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not patient enough to form cases when 2860fps with a .661BC is easily attainable.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Bob, Good to know regarding Retumbo. I honestly need to give the 7mm Rem a better try. I will admit to having less time and therefore (or is it therefor in attorney) give up on a rifle if something doesn't work within 3-4 loads.

I have a 6.5 pound FN Mauser in .375 in a Bansner that I have been thinking of doing something with. That may make a good Mashburn if I can find a smith willing to work with a Mauser.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
DMD: Hagels Mashburn was on an FN Mauser IIRC.

If you need a reamer we can scrape one up somewhere.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Just freebore your 7RemMag as it sits, get some good brass, H1000, 160-162 grain bullet, and be done with it.

Your not loading it to its potential. You need to figure out those problems first before building something else.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know it's fun to tweak a cartridge or load and pushing it to find a better whatever.
I shoot a simple Tikka SL in 7 RM. My load is a simple 175 Gameking at 2,950, maybe that is moderate to some thinking.
But, when I hit steel at 1,200 yds with a good smack, I know I have enough to do anything I want with it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SU35
I know it's fun to tweak a cartridge or load and pushing it to find a better whatever.
I shoot a simple Tikka SL in 7 RM. My load is a simple 175 Gameking at 2,950, maybe that is moderate to some thinking.
But, when I hit steel at 1,200 yds with a good smack, I know I have enough to do anything I want with it.

That pretty much sums up me and the 7 RM anymore. It's like a 270 or 30/06 and just does what it does.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Here 's a picture sent by Rick Camuglia. Rick runs a Mashburn with 195's to 1500+ yards.

On the left is a 7 Rem mag, in the middle a 7mm Mashburn Super, and on the right a 300 Win Mag. We can easily see the 7 Mashburn and 300 Win Mag are longer. Th mash burn has the longer neck.Hader to see but it also has less taper. It does not look that much bigger but a charge of 75 gr of H1000 does not even come to the base of the neck! Water capacity is 90 gr.

How'd that happen? Smarter guys than us worked htis out in the 1950's,and optimized the cartridge to give OVER 3000 fps....with a 22" barrel....with a 175 gr bullet. The most modern 7mm magnums don't really beat those performance levels by all that much.

To wildcat the 7RM where you gonna go? Blow it out? it'a already pretty straight. Blow the shoulder forward? That makes the neck shorter than it is which is already a drawback.Compromises bullet seating.

Simply put the 7RM does not have enough case to work with if you want the next step up in velocity.

[Linked Image]

Dang I wish there was a website that had accurate case capacity data.

Does anybody know of one?

That 300WM necked to 7mm would appear to have greater capacity, although case taper is hard to gauge.

But according to this, it doesn't?

7x300 Case Drawing

Maybe it's differences in measuring methods?

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
There is precious little difference in case taper between the MSM and the Practical. The Practical has more case capacity.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bob and I have been fooling around with the 7 RM since the early 80's.
I had an Echols Legend and several others. I tried longer throats.
All had very good custom barrels. The best you are going to get, on average, is 3200-140, 3125-150, 3050-160, and 2950-175. If you get much more it is because of higher than normal pressures.

I have had so many custom 270's that I can't count them. The longest were 25". I have never gotten over 2900 with a 150 without very high pressures. I am going to try R26 and 7977...perhaps they will deliver more.

Is the 7 more? Well yes the numbers are bigger, no question. Does it translate into a decisive in the field difference? I can't see any difference until you get to the 175's and then the big 7's are more like the big 30's. Me, I can't tell the difference in recoil between a 175 or a 180 at 3000+. Both have more recoil than I want to deal with so I use a 270.

The 7 RM is what it is...very good but neither magical nor mystical. Actually, I don't think anything is.

Last edited by RinB; 05/17/16.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Agree with everything RinB says. Also he had a reamer for the 7mm/300 Win back in the 80's,so there is absolutely nothing new going on today,except we have more and better LR bullets now.

Another friend built a rifle or two for the 7mm/300 Win. His nickname was Maximum Moe. He used to blow 130 7mm bullets out at 3600 fps and kill caribou at 600-700 yards.

It is good to see the boys today think that they have discovered new stuff, and try to sort out tiny differences in case shape and capacity. Actually there isn't a dimes worth of difference in killing effectiveness between these various 7mm magnums and we are about as well served with one as the other. The more game you get to kill the more apparent this becomes.

Continue!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is an intelligence test.
You are being timed.
a) How long does it take for you to learn not to try to talk someone out of their wildcat idea?
b) How long does it take you to learn not to do your own wildcat ideas any more?

Below is the answer book.

I got it! I got it! Never say there no real improvement in the wildcat with 10% more powder and 1% more velocity.

I got it! I got it!
All the wild cats I tried and all the wild cats I designed were not practical.

[Linked Image]
This is my 50CB based on the 56-50.
It can stop a coon with a body shot, and sounds like a BB gun.
I am looking for those who would like to licence the idea.-said the delusional man

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yes I had a 7-300 Win reamer made and some dies. Magnum Mo was one of my shooting buddies. He started with the 7RM got frustrated, went to the 7-300 Win, then the STW.

Then he went to a 270 with 26" a barrel and a long throat. He got about 100fps over my 22". Gain was about 25fps per inch of barrel.

Last edited by RinB; 05/17/16.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Whelen Away: Here you go. I think this is a drawing of my Mashburn reamer so you can play with numbers. My eyes are too fuzzy in the middle of the nite to start playing with numbers. smile

I have measured once fired Masburn WW cases many times. They hold 90 gr of water to mouth of case. Ditto for all my pals who now have Mashburns.

Other than a shorter neck there is precious little difference between the Mashburn and the 7mm/300 Win. They are both very good cartridges.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BobinNH
I have a 7mm mag. Why do I need all that other stuff?

Why do I build anything other than 7mmRM rifles?
I don't have to make sense.
It is a hobby.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Clarkm
BobinNH
I have a 7mm mag. Why do I need all that other stuff?

Why do I build anything other than 7mmRM rifles?
I don't have to make sense.
It is a hobby.

That's right Clark. During all those years Rick and I hunted and worked with the cartridge, we thought of building another wildcat. Mostly we just stuck with the 7 RM because ,despite all the minor squawks, it killed really well with good bullets.

It wasn't until 5-6 years ago that I decided to build another custom rifle, mostly because I enjoy fiddling with rifles and I was bored.

I really didn't expect miracles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What I really like about the Mashburn is that it's consistent across a wide range of rifles. I have taken loads that shot very well in Dober's, Bob's, and Lakers rifles and seen the same results accuracy wise in my gun. It seams that a load that shoots well in one shoots well in any other Mashburn.
I think I took my fire forming load from Dober. 140gr. Nosler BT and 65gr. IMR4350. Mild recoil and it's no slouch either. Running 3184, 3174, and 3180 and with zero load work it shoots like this.
[Linked Image]

Want To Buy;
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here are some numbers that I got from H1000 and a 162gr. AMax and never ran into any pressure signs.
[Linked Image]

Want To Buy;
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It really wants to scream with R22 and a 150gr. Partition. I stopped at 3300 with no signs of pressure. I dropped it back to 3250 and would feel 100% confident putting one behind the shoulder of the biggest brown bear in NA. [Linked Image]

Want To Buy;
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Les: Spot on.Everything.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have never gotten over 2900 with a 150 without very high pressures. I am going to try R26 and 7977...perhaps they will deliver more.

I've burned both Norma MRP and RL 26 and easily get 3K in a 22" barrel.

http://www.norma.cc/en/Ammunition-Academy/Loading-Data/270-Winchester/

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
SU
Man I hope so. I have thought that 150 @ 3000 is just perfect.

I pick up my 1-9 270 on Friday. Looking for R26!
Thanks.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Whelen Away: Here you go. I think this is a drawing of my Mashburn reamer so you can play with numbers. My eyes are too fuzzy in the middle of the nite to start playing with numbers. smile

I have measured once fired Masburn WW cases many times. They hold 90 gr of water to mouth of case. Ditto for all my pals who now have Mashburns.

Other than a shorter neck there is precious little difference between the Mashburn and the 7mm/300 Win. They are both very good cartridges.

[Linked Image]

Thanks Bob. Understand that there is no real performance difference, and the Mashburn has the nice long neck.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No problem.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by RinB
Bob and I have been fooling around with the 7 RM since the early 80's.
I had an Echols Legend and several others. I tried longer throats.
All had very good custom barrels. The best you are going to get, on average, is 3200-140, 3125-150, 3050-160, and 2950-175. If you get much more it is because of higher than normal pressures.

I have had so many custom 270's that I can't count them. The longest were 25". I have never gotten over 2900 with a 150 without very high pressures. I am going to try R26 and 7977...perhaps they will deliver more.

Is the 7 more? Well yes the numbers are bigger, no question. Does it translate into a decisive in the field difference? I can't see any difference until you get to the 175's and then the big 7's are more like the big 30's. Me, I can't tell the difference in recoil between a 175 or a 180 at 3000+. Both have more recoil than I want to deal with so I use a 270.

The 7 RM is what it is...very good but neither magical nor mystical. Actually, I don't think anything is.

Here is the link to the .270 Win RL26 data. I am running about 1.5 grains below their listed max and getting 2985 out of a 150 NPT, which seems in line with the data. 1/2" accuracy with this load. It is a 24" Shilen, I believe.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...ight=150&shellid=63&bulletid=367

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I just bought an early 80s Rem 700 Classic in 7mm Rem. Got it home and think it is unfired. I may have to get an action wrench and some take off barrels and do some experimenting.

Run a MSM reamer in that rifle. For 150 bucks you'll get to experiment with the MSM to see if you like it.

I did the same and am enamored with it. FF loads rock, 150's at 3300, 160's at 3200 and 175's at 3050, all with H1000, Retumbo or RL26. Really isn't fussy and it does it all with a 24" tube.

I was another long time 7mm Rem Mag guy but the MSM does it all with ease...

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bob,
We have been fiddling around with big 7's since the early 1980's. We would have been far ahead to have built a couple of Mashburn's back then. I should have learned from Page and Hagel.

Doing so would have saved about $20,000 worth of 7's which never quite did what I wanted, which was a 175 at 3000+ out of a 22" barrel. With current powders it is even better.

My idea of a perfect pair is an 8 pound Mashburn and a 270 weighing about a pound less. Some overlap but each a little better than the other for some applications. Warren and Jack had it figured out by the 1960's.

Let's go to Africa. The game populations are way too high.

Last edited by RinB; 05/19/16.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rick I agree. I think the old-timers fleshed this crap out a long time ago, but the propensity of every rifle nut is to run around in a blind haze trying to learn for himself.... grin

What I find interesting is that as we all run around in different directions we are recycling wildcats that date back to the 50's and 60's,are nothing really new, but do as well as most any of the modern cases,except of course those like the RUM's which are far bigger,but less efficient. Not sure how popular they are.

The Mashburn would have saved us both a pile of money. Had I built it when I was younger, I would have used it everywhere I used a 300 magnum of any sort and with the same results. Even friend Kent D says the same thing.

Africa sounds good. Those herds need to be held in check. smile

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Is it bad that I'm thinking of building another Mashburn? grin

Last edited by pathfinder76; 05/19/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Is it bad that I'm thinking of building another Mashburn? grin

No comment because I never recommend what people should build for themselves.

smile

One question: How did your first one work? I know it's worth asking you because you shoot a lot of animals.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It worked very well. As you know, some of this stuff is hard to quantify in the field. I shot animals with the 145 LRX, the 150 TSX, 160 North Fork and the 150 BT with it up in size to a couple of Moose. All were decisive finishes. The accuracy was superb and as you know numbers jived with what you have seen.

I did get donuts but as far as I can tell they never caused issues. TN also gets donuts and he reams them out but he's not sure if it makes any difference.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes I was aware of the donuts. But only after Rick Camuglia mentioned them and showed how to fix them. Then my pal Matt ran into it with Norma brass. Rick cleans that up first firing.

DArcy mentioned them. I really don't know if I have them or not .I am pretty sure guys who had them used Norma brass. I use WW. No accuracy issues through 5-6 firings. So I sat out that conversation. Maybe I do have them?

Can you stay 3/4 to 1 moa to 600 if you have them?

Sounds like it worked well on BG and did what you wanted. smile

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Bob, I know I had them and mine was a drill accuracy wise.

I'm curious as to what Rick does to clean them up.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
He turns the outside of the neck. He posted a bunch of pics. Think the thread was about shooting his to 1500 yards or something. Cant remember.

He gave a tutorial on here about forming the case.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'll have to see if I can find it.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Found it!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
good.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have over 50 rifles, and none of them run. What am I doing wrong?

Timing? Spark plug gap? Fuel?

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Borchardt

Life.

Bolt handles all fall off? grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Borchardt

Timing? Spark plug gap? Fuel?

That's not true - I've seen dozens of your rifles run East never to be seen again. I believe there is a correlation to the drawn reciprocation dingle arm and its subsoidial reciprocrations.

David

Last edited by Canazes9; 05/20/16.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Found it!

Can you link to that thread please?

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rick's pictorial starts on page 36 of that 7mm Mizzum thread.

He's so organized! smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/20/16.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I agreed to purchase a 7mm Weatherby today and was looking at Nosler data. They are showing in many cases 8-9 grains in additional powder charges for the Weatherby over the Remington and significantly more velocity with the Weatherby, but are listing case capacity as identical.

Interesting that powder charges are that much higher with the Weatherby round. I have never loaded for a Weatherby, but the one I played with did 3200 with 160s and both Weatherby and Federal factory ammo.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Freebore.....it's like adding case capacity. smile

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I agreed to purchase a 7mm Weatherby today and was looking at Nosler data. They are showing in many cases 8-9 grains in additional powder charges for the Weatherby over the Remington and significantly more velocity with the Weatherby, but are listing case capacity as identical.

Interesting that powder charges are that much higher with the Weatherby round. I have never loaded for a Weatherby, but the one I played with did 3200 with 160s and both Weatherby and Federal factory ammo.

I don't think you'll see 3200 FPS out of that 22" bbl, but who knows?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I am expecting 3000-3100 fps with 22", but will know soon enough.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I do like the 7 Mashburn. It's like a wildcat for dummies. Fireworm with any 139-145 bullet with 65 grains of 4350.

Load it with H1000 or Retumbo and look for 3200-3250 with a 160, 3050-3100 with a 175 and call it a day. Mine was so easy it was like cheating.

I use Hornady brass and can't see a danged thing wrong with it.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I ran across a Remington Classic 7mm Rem to experiment with along the lines of this thread. I got it home and cleaned it up and decided it was unfired. I bedded it and set trigger to 2.5 pounds. Took it out to shoot today and shot the below group starting on shot number three out of the rifle with no barrel break in. The lower shot was after a scope adjustment, and then it settled in and started shooting the same hole. I shot it hot to see how long it stay in the hole and it threw the 7th round high and left. This was with Hornady factory loads and it did about the same with handloads and 160 Partitions. Didn't chrono so not sure of the velocity. I hate to mess with this one so am going to have to experiment with another 7 Mag ; )

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never, never, never shoot the donor.
I'd still throat it long and give it the powder it begs for.

Last edited by Les7603006; 06/05/16.

Want To Buy;
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Yessir, 100% agree !

Bought two Rem 700's in 7mm Rem Mag and didn't bother shooting the boring ol things and chopped them up, one was brand new with only 1/2 box ammo thru it and came with the 1 1/2 boxes of Barnes Vortx 150 gr TTSX ammo for free, still have it .....

After some minor " give it the powder it begs for " renovations along with the additions of McMillan, Jewell, Bartlein, X-Caliber, ATACR and XTR2
they became rifles worthy of the "magnum"

pic shows what the new 7mm LRH does with the 195 Bergers with initial load developement, have room to go yet and should reach 3300 fps
the other rifle is now the 300 LRH and it does 3300 fps with the 212 ELD-X for max and accuracy load at 3240 fps , and it all works with 5 round detachable mags, imagine that

Well past time to move beyond the antiquated "belted magnum" craze, they are no longer interesting ......
[Linked Image]]photobucket[/url]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two 700 7mm RM's & a 77 7mm RM. The 700's shoot less than a MOA with almost every load I've tried. The 77 shoots about twice the size groups. But it shoots fine for big game rifle. I'm thinking 28 Nosler. I can't put up with the 77's stock - it is a POS.
So I'm thinking restocking the 77 and rechambering to 28. But then maybe selling the 77 and rechambering one of the 700's. At any rate I've got too many projects and am still just in the musing portion of project.

Last edited by Bugger; 06/08/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Swamplord

Yessir, 100% agree !

Bought two Rem 700's in 7mm Rem Mag and didn't bother shooting the boring ol things and chopped them up, one was brand new with only 1/2 box ammo thru it and came with the 1 1/2 boxes of Barnes Vortx 150 gr TTSX ammo for free, still have it .....

After some minor " give it the powder it begs for " renovations along with the additions of McMillan, Jewell, Bartlein, X-Caliber, ATACR and XTR2
they became rifles worthy of the "magnum"

pic shows what the new 7mm LRH does with the 195 Bergers with initial load developement, have room to go yet and should reach 3300 fps
the other rifle is now the 300 LRH and it does 3300 fps with the 212 ELD-X for max and accuracy load at 3240 fps , and it all works with 5 round detachable mags, imagine that

Well past time to move beyond the antiquated "belted magnum" craze, they are no longer interesting ......
[Linked Image]]photobucket[/url]

Impressive numbers.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What is a "7 Long Range Hunter" ?
How is it different than a 7 Long Range Magnum?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well....I wouldn't exactly relegate the belted magnums to the bone yard quite yet.. smile

After all they are the most commonly encountered and distributed magnum cases out there,even if the newer stuff is fun to play with. Plus they kill millions of game animals annually I bet.

What is the water capacity of this 7mm LRH? Isn't that just the old 30 Newton necked down?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

What is the water capacity of this 7mm LRH? Isn't that just the old 30 Newton necked down?

My Long Range Hunter (LRH) and the Precision Rifled Ordnance (PRO) wildcats are off the 338 Norma Magnum case necked and improved, the PRO series use typical throats and have more case taper, the LRH 'cats are maxed out case dimensions and throated specifically for the heaviest, longest and highest bc bullets in each caliber for maximum powder capacity, I use 300 Norma Mag, 338 Norma Mag and 423 Dakota (Lapua made) brass as well as cut down 338 Lapua Mag brass, no shortage of brass for these wildcats, can also use 416 Rigby brass cut down and formed if the need arises ......

The 7mm LRH has 108.5 gr h20 capacity that was verified with fireformed (once fired) cases

The 375 Ruger is based on the 30 Newton and the 7mm Long Range Magnum (7mm LRM) is off the 375 Ruger, the 338 Norma Mag case offers more case capacity in a shorter case length than the 375 Ruger, all my wildcats off the 338 Norma operate in 3.850" length detachable mags with the longest bullets available

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Swamplord; 06/10/16.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Swampland thanks. It was the 7mm LRM I was thinking of.....

Your wildcats off the Norma cases have a solid jump over the LRM in capacity I think(?).

You don't see too much about those Norma cases which is unfortunate,as they seem to be real great cartridges.

I admit I do not know much about them myself.

Now I understand the velocities with the 7mm.....impressive! Also interesting the Rem 700 can be modified to chamber them.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Swampland thanks. It was the 7mm LRM I was thinking of.....

Your wildcats off the Norma cases have a solid jump over the LRM in capacity I think(?).

You don't see too much about those Norma cases which is unfortunate,as they seem to be real great cartridges.

perhaps the comparison pic below will help explain the capacity difference between the 375 Ruger based wildcats vs the 338 Norma Mag wildcats, The ability to attain 338 Lapua Mag and 338 Edge capacity and still run effortlessly in 5 round detachable mags with high bc bullets like the 265 gr Cutting Edge MTH with .800 bc, 275 gr MTH with .820 bc and the Berger OTM with .822 bc is highly desirable to me,

most here on the Campfire are stuck in the rut with factory rifles in belted mags and 308 Win based cartridges and have blinders on to stare straight ahead, if you look around some, there has been a ton of activity on the 338 Norma case and all of is positive

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bob,
These LRH's look like they are based, roughly, on Rigby/Lapua brass which is .589\.588 body diameter.

The RUM's have a body diameter of .550 but are rebated so the head is .532.

Since the H2O capacity is about 110 then they are a short version of an Ultra Mag.

If those velocities are coming from 26" barrels, then I'll bet the pressures are much higher than SAAMI maximums. The 7mm LRH is moving a 195 bullet about 200 fps faster than a 7 RUM will move a 175 using Nosler's loads. I doubt if there is any laboratory tested pressure data.

Also, chambering them in M700's exceeds that action's design limits for barrel shank wall thickness. Sooner or later the combination of high pressures and inadequate shank thicknesss will result in failure of some sort. Read Dan Lilja's and Jim Borden's papers on that issue. Both are mechanical engineers so should be listened to.

Pretty good reasons to stick with your Mashburn.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bob,
Since the 338 Edge is based on a RUM case it can be used in a M700. It is within the hoop strength design limits of that action.

Also, using a M700 means there has been an extractor conversion likely a Sako or M16.

Last edited by RinB; 06/10/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would necking down 7RM brass in a FL .270 Weatherby and .257 Weatherby die and fireforming qualify as wildcatting?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Are the "Pro" or "Long Range Hunter" lines proprietary?
Who makes them?
Is formed brass available?

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

My Long Range Hunter (LRH) and the Precision Rifled Ordnance (PRO) wildcats are off the 338 Norma Magnum case necked and improved, the PRO series use typical throats and have more case taper, the LRH 'cats are maxed out case dimensions and throated specifically for the heaviest, longest and highest bc bullets in each caliber for maximum powder capacity, I use 300 Norma Mag, 338 Norma Mag and 423 Dakota (Lapua made) brass as well as cut down 338 Lapua Mag brass, no shortage of brass for these wildcats, can also use 416 Rigby brass cut down and formed if the need arises ......

The 7mm LRH has 108.5 gr h20 capacity that was verified with fireformed (once fired) cases

The 375 Ruger is based on the 30 Newton and the 7mm Long Range Magnum (7mm LRM) is off the 375 Ruger, the 338 Norma Mag case offers more case capacity in a shorter case length than the 375 Ruger, all my wildcats off the 338 Norma operate in 3.850" length detachable mags with the longest bullets available

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I still see usefulness in H&H based belted mags as hunting rounds. Some remain really great cartridges, and I think there are a couple of minor advantages to the belt with few of the theoretical disadvantages actually applying to real life. But I also like some of the more modern cases. What advantage do these wildcats have over the .28 Nosler? I was playing with a Nosler Thursday and getting great velocity, reasonable recoil and 1/2" accuracy with the top load I shot and it's a factory round, which appeals to me for numerous reasons.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
It's been awhile since I have played with 7mm Mag, and I think I forgot how anemic 7mm load data can be. I'm shooting a Remington and a Sako. My current experimentation revolves around 160s and numerous powders. The Sako gets a few more FPS than the Remington, but top published load data gets each to upper end 7x57 / 7-08 velocities over an Oehler.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RinB
Are the "Pro" or "Long Range Hunter" lines proprietary?
Who makes them?
Is formed brass available?

The PRO and LRH wildcats are my designs and I own the original reamers,

"formed brass" ? it's a DIY wildcat cartridge thing ...... brass is easily made from the parent 338 Norma or 300 Norma Mag cases by simply MOM banging in the chamber or firing a bullet jammed into rifling with a med pressure load, if a shooter reloads ammo he can fireform , simple as that

Lapua brand 423 Dakota and 338 Lapua Mag brass requires case forming dies to make cases for these wildcats, well worth doing because the super strong Lapua brass will last 10-15 firings,

In answer to your earlier comments all I can say is you have made a bunch of assumptions without knowing any of the facts....... there is a lot more to it and my short answer is ........ just stay with a 308 Winchester and a 375 H&H with 20" barrels and leave the expirementation to those who are capable

not everybody climbs the tallest peaks and dives in the deepest seas, some people travel the world just to see it's wonders while others cower in fear in a box of their own making ..............

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

most here on the Campfire are stuck in the rut with factory rifles in belted mags and 308 Win based cartridges and have blinders on to stare straight ahead, if you look around some, there has been a ton of activity on the 338 Norma case and all of is positive

Boy you got that right...the short action boys twist themselves into knots and will argue for pages whether their latest short action creation and some wonder powder will get another 100 fps. ,if they stand on it hard enough. And of course, there's no pressure smile

If they'd buy a rifle with an action a half inch longer, they could chamber it for a cartridge that will easily get that 100 fps and more.

But if you show up here with some 7mm or 30 caliber cartridge design with real legs (belted or non),they'll also twist themselves into knots and use up 40 pages telling you how much it sucks..... and why.....even if they've never used it.

I've even read on here there's no reason for the 7mm Rem Mag....because we have the 308 Winchester.

Hilarious.

Keep working those wildcats Swamplord. Even if I don't follow your lead (I'm happy with what I have), I'm still interested.

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/12/16.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's been awhile since I have played with 7mm Mag, and I think I forgot how anemic 7mm load data can be. ..

I am shooting 11 gr more than max per Hodgdon 140 gr H4350 7mmRM.
At 13 gr more than max, I see the threshold of extractor groove growth, a repeatable precursor predictor of loose primer pockets.

I have used that load in factory 7mmRM rifles and in rifles that I reamed the chamber and cut the threads.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,872 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,952
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.