Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm closing in on 60 years old, and I thought it was finally time I stepped up to a big-boy knife.

I'm looking for a fixed blade less than 7" overall length, for gutting/skinning/trimming deer.

I've had plenty of knives, most recently the fake damascus truck spring specials sold at gunshows. My frustration is getting them to hold an edge.

I've never spent a bunch of money on a blade, because I've always set them down somewhere and walked away. Well, I've carried a $5 homedepot retractable razor knife for close to ten years, so I think I'm over that part. The best I ever had for holding an edge was an early spiderco, but I'm tired of folders loosening up.

I see so many guys selling their knives here on the 'fire, I figure I'll find what I want right here. What steel should I be looking for to hold an edge best?

Thanks for your expert opinions!

Last edited by JeffG; 05/15/16.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Give David Winston a shout. To me, he makes a great hunting knife and great deal with.

He uses d2 a lot.

Or any of the other great makers here on the fire.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
D2 and S30v if properly heat treated hold edges amazingly well.

David Winston is first class and sometimes has finished knives in stock(he does now).

Gene Ingram is super but has a long backlog.

Both are wonderful Men to deal with

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Jeff get with VinceM on here he sells knives a Very good guy to buy from Vince, theres also some nice knives listed in the Class. here right now!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As far as stainless goes S90V is about the top for edge holding, will hold its edge for a very very long time. You make a trade with edge holding ability and ease of sharpening. I really like S90V , it's my favorite steel right now. I even know a guy who like to work with the stuff😉.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
IC B2

J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for the quick answers! Just scanning the suggestions made here, the prices range from $100 - $500. Other than the aesthetic value (which is totally subjective), the big difference is the steel...right?

David Winston's site does a nice job of explaining why he chooses the steel he uses. How about the difference between CM and stainless, is that just for ease of maintenance?

I don't need high polish, but I don't want problems with rust either.

I guess part of my edge-holding experience is also with straight razors, having used them for a time. Is there any relevance to that sort of steel which get ground to such thin edges.

Last edited by JeffG; 05/15/16.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

You can still find Kauffman knives out there as they show up from time to time and they are extremely high quality in material and workmanship. These knives show the diversity and quality from beautifully functional to utilitarian.

The first is a nice knife that looks great, and still works. The 3rd picture shows a filet knife with a skinner and a regular hunting knife. The filet knife is extremely sharp and flexible, hollow ground and finished like it was a manufactured knife.

Dave made some real good knives, but his wrists were getting sore from the business of knife making and he has since stopped making them. When you find one it is a working piece of art...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beautiful knives Shrapnel.

μολὼν λαβέ
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Beautiful, for sure!!

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
JeffG
In my opinion;
--You will find that the grind, heat treat and sharpening have more to do with the field performance of a blade than the specific type of steel used.
--There are a bunch of makers here on 24 and I would bet that a knife by anyone of them would perform very well for you.
Prices will vary from not much over $100 to several multiples of that.
There are a ton of makers across the country that make great knives. Seldom will a maker put out something that they are not proud of. Most put function first.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
MichiganRoadKill is your huckleberry.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I agree with CrowRifle, talk to Tim (Michiganroadkill). He knows his stuff and has beautiful knives in stock. You will not be disappointed.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Can't go wrong with a Winston, Menefee, Dowell or Ingram. ( others I'm sure are as good but these are the ones I have experience with.)

Winston would probably be the quickest.

I have a D2 and S30V from Winston and they both hold up well.

I really like A2.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Don't forget Dale Howe. His knives are superb.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
JEFFG - "... I've never spent a bunch of money on a blade, because I've always set them down somewhere and walked away. ..."

In that case, why not buy a good knife with blaze orange handles? Odds are it will catch your attention as you walk away.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have over 300 custom knives. My comment would be to deal with a "real" professional, not a hobbyist. Some of the pictures of knives folks pay top $ for, with uneven grinds, offset plunge lines, non-symmetrical scales, pins and liners, etc...... is astounding.

Speak with the revered makers on here from the Arkansas, Mississippi, Oklahoma and South Carolina schools and you'll be golden.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

Nothing against the other makers, but I agree with CrowRifle. MRK makes a hell of a knife.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If rust resistance is priority, go with a true stainless like S30v. Although non are actually rust proof, it certainly will buy you a lot of time to get a blade cleaned and oiled.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have only owned custom knives from a few makers but without question the best knives I have are from Gene Ingram.
I can usually get 4-5 whitetails cleaned before I need to resharpen. That is with S30V steel.
Also Gene is a pleasure to deal with. Half of the fun is talking with him about what exactly you want in your knife.
There is a wait for Genes knives but it is well worth the wait!

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
http://drostknives.com/ Mike Drost one of the best keep secrets left in WV. He utilizes D2. S30. S35 & S90 and makes custom knives. I have used his knives for years and have found very few that hold the edge as long as his, very durable. Check out his site, give him a call. Very knowledgable about most steel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I have over 300 custom knives. My comment would be to deal with a "real" professional, not a hobbyist. Some of the pictures of knives folks pay top $ for, with uneven grinds, offset plunge lines, non-symmetrical scales, pins and liners, etc...... is astounding.

Speak with the revered makers on here from the Arkansas, Mississippi, Oklahoma and South Carolina schools and you'll be golden.

this is good advice. my favorite steel is ats-34

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JeffG
My frustration is getting them to hold an edge.

I know exactly how you feel. Go ahead and buy a "big boy knife" if you want something super nice. I have a couple that I don't use much. However, try applying a small micro-bevel to one of your current knives. You might be surprised by its improved edge holding ability if you have never tried this trick.

Plenty of knife enthusiasts on Youtube have been nice enough to do videos describing the technique better than I can. It has helped me out a great deal when it comes to producing better edges. For example, last year I gutted, skinned, and quartered a decent whitetail doe with a Case pocket knife which would still half ass shave when I was finished and the doe was on ice. I did not cut off the legs or the head with the knife nor did I split the pelvis with it but I did cut through the sternum. IN times past I would probably have dulled a couple of knives doing the same thing on a deer because my edges were weak. I probably could have made at least a good start on another deer with my Case last year before it got dull enough to start aggravating me, maybe finished one off. In the scheme of things that knife is made of "soft" steel. I have learned that a clean, quality edge on a decent mass production knife will last a surprisingly long time. About 30 years ago an old guy told me he could clean a bunch of deer with his Buck knife before it needed sharpening. I thought he was lying but he probably wasn't.....I was just a little ignorant. I should have took the time to ask questions but I knew everything back then.

Another good thing about micro-bevels is that you can easily touch them up a few times if necessary before you have to regrind everything.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rick Menefee makes some good blades. I like his work a lot, along with Tim Olt, David Winston, Gene Ingram, Larry Rossi.
This one, by Rick, has gotten a lot of use.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Find out if there is anyone local making custom knives. Go visit with them. Have them show you their knives, and ask questions. Handle the knives. And then buy the one you like best.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ive made knives, as an expensive hobby and a means to blow off steam after 5 PM, for 34 years now and am closing in on #3000.
My preferred steel is CPM154CM stainless. Great steel, made in the US (Unlike ATS-34, 440C, and many others). It cuts great, maintains sharpness, easy to re-sharpen and is a joy to work. I also forge, using W2, O1, 1075 and 1084, as well as old files.

To the OP: A $5 Home Depot razor blade will indeed work up a deer. What separates my knife (and other handmades)is workmanship and pride of ownership. I start with American made steel and ensure that it is worked, heat treated and tempered properly...that's what you are paying for. Some of my knives are shown below. You can't find them in the big box stores for a reason. When you study up on various makers & finally make your choice, you'll enjoy your one of a kind knife for years to come.

This is a personal knife of mine. It skinned and quartered an 8x6 bull elk in 2013, then once I came home, it gutted and skinned 4 deer...and still shaved without any touch-up. That's why I love CPM154CM steel:
[Linked Image]

Copy of a Randall 23:
[Linked Image]

Cute little every day carry:
[Linked Image]

I work with Damascus as well:
[Linked Image]

Cute little hunter with stabilized pecan handles:
[Linked Image]

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Very nice Godogs'.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

this

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whelenman

this

He made a standard drop point hunting knife for me that I won't EVER get rid of. I'll give it to my son when my days are through.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Godogs57

This is a personal knife of mine. It skinned and quartered an 8x6 bull elk in 2013, then once I came home, it gutted and skinned 4 deer...and still shaved without any touch-up. That's why I love CPM154CM steel:
[Linked Image]

How much?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eastcut96
I have only owned custom knives from a few makers but without question the best knives I have are from Gene Ingram.
I can usually get 4-5 whitetails cleaned before I need to resharpen. That is with S30V steel.
Also Gene is a pleasure to deal with. Half of the fun is talking with him about what exactly you want in your knife.
There is a wait for Genes knives but it is well worth the wait!

^^^This!^^^

A Gene Ingram in S30V is hard to beat! And he is one of the nicest knife makers to deal with in the business.

I also own several from Bob Dozier made of D2 that work real well. But it's at least a 3 year wait, and not near as nice as a Ingram, IMO.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

258 members (360bull, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 338reddog, 40 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,448
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.