Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Well, where I grew up, we didn't even have a Dairy Queen.......

Well that's not fair!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
$600 and $1000 for deer and elk respectively? Good lord...
I have no dog in the fight, don't give a [bleep], I love and hunt ID and AK.
But that is expensive.
One can hunt dall sheep or mnt goat in Ak with next of kin for far less.

At least one state is trying to capitalize on it's resource, can't blame MT.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wyo, I wouldn't worry about the posts on residents being jealous. Those posts are just not-very-well-disguised attempts to insult by someone who's left with very little else to say.

Like the one about residents being jealous of NR's who are willing to put in effort to hunt. Some of the most hard-core hunters from this forum are from MT, and I'd love to see dink try to outwork someone like greenhorn, or the others that post here.

That would be downright funny.

Smokepole, thanks for explaining his less than insightful jealousy comments, to this old bird, me. I'm not worried... honest.

Last edited by Wyogal; 05/15/16.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by snubbie
Well, where I grew up, we didn't even have a Dairy Queen.......

Well that's not fair!

That's not the least of it. When they finally did put in a Dairy Queen, they put it two miles from my house, and it was uphill both ways.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Dink,

I-161 was like any ballot issue. Some people understood the initiative and some didn't. It was supported heavily by sportman's groups that, indeed, have an issue with outfitters and the fact that the state allowed them 5,000 of the 17,000 out of state permits to be guaranteed to outfitters while the rest were open to the lottery.

The supporters of the initiative felt that taking those guaranteed permits would take some of the private land leased to outfitters and open more land to resident hunters. This was indeed a selfish power play to hopefully recover hunting opportunities lost to leases.

It didn't work as far as resident hunting opportunities as that land and the leases did not become available to the rank and file hunting community. Another thing people don't realize is that the outfitting industry doesn't have a totally negative impact on game and hunting opportunities. Like it or not, outfitters have a legitimate business in the state of Montana and they are as responsible to operate in accordance to law as any other business.

Outfitters don't have any more control on the fees for non resident hunters than any other person or group in the state does. The legislature decides those fees gained from input of all those parties that respond to fish and game meetings around the state that are open to the public for review.

That said, I am not an outfitter and I am not in the pocket of the fish and game, mistakes are made and leverage is used from all sides to approve every interested group and their opinions. The department of fish and game manages the wildlife, seasons and fees according to these principles, whether done in accordance to your wishes or not. Residents do contribute to those decisions, but don't make policy.

As far as I am concerned, I am not bothered by non resident hunters or outfitters. I can either hunt on public or private ground the same as anyone, there are only two options. I spend my time making the most of those choices I can and pay accordingly, I would suggest you try the same...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I hunt MT every year as a NR. It cost me with tags about $1750 to hunt for 10 days all up. This assumes a few guys going with me. This is considerably cheaper than a 7 day trip to Cabo with the wife.
I would like to see MT raise the tag price further.
DINK, is just a whiny miserable a-hole. I don't think the state of MT will miss him much.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by DINK

....the facts are residents are jealous of a lot of things.

I'm jealous of that $600 deer license. I paid less than 600 total for these 5 Montana animals combined - even if you throw in the 5 B&C entry submissions. Thanks again for your contributions to Montana and your sniveling whimpers.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
DINK,

Montana "residents are jealous of a lot of things"? Like what?

I'm not calling anybody names, just stating very apparent facts about your inability to understand facts:

Federal land is controlled by the Federal government, but with some exceptions the game on it is controlled by the state. If you want to whine and moan about that "injustice," even after the legality was long ago firmly settled in court decisions, then by all means start another lawsuit. But based on past results, it won't go anywhere, despite how much you whine.

For years Montana did NOT raise their non-resident rates in comparison to inflation, and of course nobody bitched because they were getting real deal. Then Montana did raise its rates to a comparable level to fifty years ago, and people like you started whining.

The vast majority of Montana residents don't have any problem with non-residents hunting here. What many residents resented was Montana outfitters leasing considerably more land after they were guaranteed a certain number of tags for their clients--after the outfitter's association promised that wouldn't happen. Residents didn't "want to be mean to the outfitters," because a lot of residents know outfitters, work for outfitters, and are related to outfitters. But they thought the outfitters got a good deal with the license agreement--then grabbed for more. This trend continued for several years, and eventually a majority of residents decided the outfitters had reneged on their part of the deal, so revoked the deal.

You're also ignoring the fact that several years after I-161 passed, non-resident licenses are still selling out, despite costing more. So your claim that passing I-161 caused the price rise is obviously incorrect, since revoking guaranteed outfitter licenses didn't cause demand to drop.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I consider a non-resident license charge in Montana to be a bargain. Great hunting and great residents make it all worthwhile.

I suspect that the Montana residents would be glad to see Dink far, far away.

Steve

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I been drawing elk tags every year since I-161. Beats paying $1500

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Greenhorn

....the facts are residents are jealous of a lot of things.

I'm jealous of that $600 deer license. I paid less than 600 total for these 5 Montana animals combined - even if you throw in the 5 B&C entry submissions. Thanks again for your contributions to Montana and your sniveling whimpers.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What a ripoff!!! Grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
2012 was the year Montana really laid it to me!! Still mad about that!!
[Linked Image]

DIY

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
2011 was yet another horrible year over there for the pard and I , , less than 14 hours apart, evening of the first day, he killed his 180" daybreak of the second morning, DIY ground anyone can hunt. Bastards!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
2010 sucked too, as the pard killed this 185" buck on the first day , DIY public ground, first year in that area....
[Linked Image]

I can't take in anymore I'm sending my tag back for a refund!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

What did it cost you to hunt Arizona total? Or New Mexico?

I know you have a son a little older than mine have you been taking him out of state every year?

You think as much of your son as I do of mine and there is only one reason you ain't taking him hunting all over the west. It's simply to costly.

Dink

I've hunted NM and several times in AZ. Always good value. I just flew down and took the AZ non res hunter Ed course and will have 20 elk points next year. What kind of $ do ya think I'll have into that one when I finally draw for a public land hunt?

My son AND daughter are applying out of state this year. Why I don't take them all over the west? Because I live in MONTANA and they can and do hunt a TON here! Duh. We just hunted yesterday and saw deer, elk, moose and bear. How's things in Missouri?

- a jealous MT resident

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Wyogal
I'm not worried... honest.

Yeah, I know. I just wanted to say what I said about dink and his little insults, and that was the best way I could come up with to say it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
So here's an idea for you. If you plan to do this hunt every year why not save $1.64 a day for a whole year to pay for that $600. Surely you piss away $1.64 a day in worse ways than saving for a hunting trip to make memories

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by laker
So here's an idea for you. If you plan to do this hunt every year why not save $1.64 a day for a whole year to pay for that $600. Surely you piss away $1.64 a day in worse ways than saving for a hunting trip to make memories

A bit more to the cost of a hunt than a tag...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by laker

A bit more to the cost of a hunt than a tag...

No schit?

Only thing I've read him complaining about is the tag

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by milespatton
Been watching this thread and have read most of it, I think. What bothers me the most....

What bothers me most is other people thinking I should be concerned about what bothers them most.

It SHOULD.

I don't give a flying puck it Montana charges $120,000 per deer tag for NR or don't allow NR to hunt at ALL. I think residents should ALWAYS have first priority.

That said, on FEDERAL LANDS, EVERYONE should have equal opportunity and equal prices.

HOW THE [bleep] IS THAT NOT RIGHT? Better yet, the FEDS shouldn't be controlling ANY lands and let the states have them.

When MONTANA owns ALL the lands, I don't give a flying [bleep] what they do/charge with their lands. I'm all for STATE'S rights.

To recap for the stupid [bleep] that can't comprehend on this thread: FEDERAL LANDS= Equal Opportunity, Equal Price

STATE LANDS= Montana does whatever the [bleep] they want.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,075
Posts18,463,807
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.