Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I was at the LFS a few days ago looking to get a new fishing rod. All they had were made in China. Are there any U.S. made fishing rods anymore.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The higher end St. Croix's are made in the USA and I'm pretty sure that most G. Loomis rods are also. IMO you can get a much better rod that's made in China for the same price as one made in the USA.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Check into Boyd Duckett's rods made in Alabama. One of the finest rods made. powdr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
when graphite came on the scene 20+ years ago, virtually all blanks were made in Korea. When that plant burnt, production moved to China. About the best you can do in todays world, without spending several hundred dollars, are rods finished in the USA on Chinese blanks. Good grips and guides, important to me, are to be had. Look at Temple Forks Outfitters (TFO), Santiam, and some local craftsmen have made some rods that have proven to be good stuff. I'm sure there are several other sources if you look around.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of the imported rods are state of the art and have flawless craftsmanship. Some are among the best in performance.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Depends on what your are looking for but I use Lamiglas and G. Loomis rods.

Their mid to higher end rods are still made in Washington State.

When I break one... they replace or repair it at little or no cost to me. Every time!

Semper Fi

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by powdr
Check into Boyd Duckett's rods made in Alabama. One of the finest rods made. powdr

Duckett rods are really good. Actually there are a lot of reasonable price quality rods out there today. It's easy to get well equipped for reasonable money.I have a couple of Ducketts.

But I still use St Croix and Loomis. The Loomis have the ergos to keep arthritic older hands fishing comfortable through the day even with heavy jigs and baits; and if they break thorough defect or something (rare, some of mine are over 20 years old), I return them and they are replaced at no cost other than shipping.

This is not insignificant with rods costing what a G.Loomis does. They are excellent quality fishing tools.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

I will not disparage the quality of any chinky products…….but, I will not use anything made in china , when I can avoid it.

What was manufactured in the USA last week…. may NOT be manufactured in the USA this week.

I canot fish with chinky equipment , ruins the experience.

My Mother always said " you have to look at everything you buy".

She also said "Fook the chinese".

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I would rather not support the Chinese economy, but I am not in a position to pay several hundred $ on a fishing rod. Thanks guys.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Can't say anything about them, but Falcon makes some mid price rods they advertise as USA made.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My rods are mostly US made St. Croix. They have a feel and a quality I just don't find in Chinese stuff.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
St Croix, made near here...Great rods...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
St. Croix Avidx is about as good as it gets for me.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The new St. Croix Legend Elites are AWESOME!! Got the 6'10" MLXF for throwing jigs for walleyes and smallmouth. Rod delivers. I also have their older Legend Xtremes with the Recoil guides, very nice as well. I would recommend Croix or Loomis. I still have an old SJR782 in GLX that I can't part with as well:)

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'll second the recommendation on the St. Croix Legend series. This is the first fish on the new 7' 2pc Light Action. It's hands down the finest small-jig fishing rod I've ever used. It's so light and fast, that you can feel the tail vibrating on a 3" swimbait.

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+ another 1 on St Croix. I have Legends in 6, 7 & 8 wt. And an Avid in 4 wt.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Your shopping the wrong store..lamaglas made in woodland Washington..
Sage...bambridge island wa...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by cisco1

I will not disparage the quality of any chinky products…….but, I will not use anything made in china , when I can avoid it.

What was manufactured in the USA last week…. may NOT be manufactured in the USA this week.

I canot fish with chinky equipment , ruins the experience.

My Mother always said " you have to look at everything you buy".

She also said "Fook the chinese".

Good for you...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigEars
Can't say anything about them, but Falcon makes some mid price rods they advertise as USA made.

I like my Falcon rods...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
St. Croix all the way!
When I need something from them I can call and talk to a real live American who enjoys fishing.
Just ordered a new tip-top for one of my 6' Light Action Premiers. $5 shipped and I'll be good to go again.
I probably have close to a dozen St. Croix rods dating back as early as 2001.
For the price plus excellent customer service they are hard to beat.
Fly rods are a different story. I have a couple of theirs but prefer Sage and Winston.

Last edited by WFR; 06/04/16.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (19rabbit52, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 33 invisible), 2,167 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,366
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.