Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've read some hype about the Gamo line recently with them claiming insane air rifle velocity. However they all claim this with the ultra light alloy pellets.

Alloy might give you the velocity at the muzzle, but at 50 yards they are down to nothing and in a breeze they are nearly impossible to shoot accurate beyond 15-20 yards.

Anyone with a Gamo shooting .22's in the 15 grain weight range have real wold chronograph numbers?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Air rifles are kinda like centerfire rifles because they are all unique, but generally follow trends. That being said, maximum energy and accuracy generally occurs at 850-900 FPS.
If you know the energy with light pellets, use that energy and set an arbitrary speed of 850 fps to mathematically derive a pellet weight. Top selling 22 cal pellets are 18 and 15 grains for a reason. Like you said, fast light pellets are like heavy bullets in a slow twist 223, bound to be disappointing. For most airguns, under 900 fps is better than over 900 fps.

http://www.airgundepot.com/airgun-calculators-article.html

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
i have a Walther ? maybe falcon or talon not sure, single shot auto safety type.
It was a springer but I had pyramid air change it out before they shipped it to me it uses a gas tube instead of the spring. It is 22 cal. and I get 875-910 over my chrony, with 18 gr. lead pellets. The crow magnums will pass threw 1/2 inch plywood.
Also it is a great year for rabbits.
Erich

At some point my hobbies became my life.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Sometimes we know too much:

My brother who knows NOTHING about firearms or air guns had a couple of rabbits eating his flowers. He goes to Academy Sports. Buys a cheap Gamo springer/scope combo based on fastest fps listed on the box. Buys whatever pellets were close by.

Sights it in at 15 yards with about 6 shots. Next day kills two rabbits. One at 25 yds and the other at 50 yards. My brother thinks I'm an idiot for spending 5X the money on my Weihrauch setup. Of course, I shoot 250-500 pellets a week and he hasn't shot his since killing the rabbits. Go figure.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's hilarious!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LostArra

My brother who knows NOTHING about firearms or air guns had a couple of rabbits eating his flowers. He goes to Academy Sports. Buys a cheap Gamo springer/scope combo based on fastest fps listed on the box. Buys whatever pellets were close by.

Sights it in at 15 yards with about 6 shots. Next day kills two rabbits. One at 25 yds and the other at 50 yards. My brother thinks I'm an idiot for spending 5X the money on my Weihrauch setup. Of course, I shoot 250-500 pellets a week and he hasn't shot his since killing the rabbits. Go figure.

You have a valid point.

I was coyote hunting with two brothers once.. One of them was like me. He was meticulous about everything to do with his rifle. Perfect scope. Perfect tried and proven ammo, trigger set just right, the bullet that performs the way it's supposed to....

His brother had a beat up old 22-250 he just let ride in the back floorboard of his pick-up. Old, beat up nothing special cheap scope. And he ran low on bullets in the rifle and asked me to reach in the glove box and hand him some of the shells in there... I opened it and stuff fell out, and more stuff was crammed in there, but no box of ammo... He said to keep digging. I did, right down to the bottom, where there was a dozen 22-250 shells of various makes and models loose amongst the dirt and grime. eek

I asked him which ones? He said it didn't matter... OK. I just scooped a handful out and gave them to him. He loaded his gun with whatever he had.

Next stand, he killed a coyote weaving through brush at 150 yards with it. shocked

Ignorance is bliss, I reckon. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by LostArra

You have a valid point.

I was coyote hunting with two brothers once.. One of them was like me. He was meticulous about everything to do with his rifle. Perfect scope. Perfect tried and proven ammo, trigger set just right, the bullet that performs the way it's supposed to....

His brother had a beat up old 22-250 he just let ride in the back floorboard of his pick-up. Old, beat up nothing special cheap scope. And he ran low on bullets in the rifle and asked me to reach in the glove box and hand him some of the shells in there... I opened it and stuff fell out, and more stuff was crammed in there, but no box of ammo... He said to keep digging. I did, right down to the bottom, where there was a dozen 22-250 shells of various makes and models loose amongst the dirt and grime. eek

I asked him which ones? He said it didn't matter... OK. I just scooped a handful out and gave them to him. He loaded his gun with whatever he had.

Next stand, he killed a coyote weaving through brush at 150 yards with it. shocked

Ignorance is bliss, I reckon. wink

Hmmmm..grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It really is unfortunate that air rifles have a speed rating placed on them at all. Way too many go buy one on speed alone and end up with a harsh shooting, not so accurate rifle and judge their air gunning experience off that one hard to shoot rifle. I have a Beeman R9 .22 cal, I think it is rated at 800fps actually shoots 675 w/ 14.3gr Crosman Premier Hollow Points (this is at 3800ft elev, sea level should see a slight increase) I have taken lots of rock chuck at over 50 yards with it. It is easy to shoot, accurate as all get out and just a hoot to shoot. My last trip out I smacked a fat old chuck at 65 yards. Wind was blowing pretty decent from the side so I held 6" over his head and about the same into the wind. At the shot I could see a little trickle of blood come from the side of his head, he just slumped down, went flat and never moved again. At 65 yards that pellet should have slowed to about 450 fps and about 7 ft/lb of energy. While that is a pretty long shot, the scenario has played out many times in the last 15 or so years of shooting quality adult air rifles. Just like most shooting endeavors accuracy trumps speed and it really does not take much energy to get the job done with proper shot placement.
I have also shot quite a few with .177 cal rifles, to me the .22 is hands down a better killer even though the .177's were on average 150fps faster.

Last edited by centershot; 05/20/16.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have a Gamo .22 but I finally got around to chrono'ing my Benjamin Trail .22 last week. Don't know how relevant it would be but here's what I came up with: 1. Crosman Premier, 14.3 gr.; avg. 816 fps. 2. Crosman Power Shot, 16.7 gr. avg. 736.4 fps. 3. Crosman Pirahna 14.3 gr. hollow point, avg. 832.6 fps. Only punching paper with it now (it's my first-ever air rifle) but come squirrel season I wanna try it out on some "tree rats". Longest I've shot it so far was at 30 yards and even with a light breeze it was still right on.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ok. I confess. I have a Gamo Hunter 440. I dunno how fast it shoots. ( the little tag on chamber says 1000fps). I dunno if I believe all that. Only reason I own this rifle is I thought it would be fun! Mebbe even assist in keeping crows outta the pecan trees. Also floating cans down the slough on the place and doing that "African Queen" scene isfun too!
I was loafing around the shop one day and it strolled in with several other guns. I asked the old boss how much? He said $85. I said "sold!" Came with a cheep azz BSA scope which I suspect is a 4x. It shoots really nice. Sighted it in withthe Dynamit Nobel super point pellet.8.2 gr. They came with the rifle.
So here I set in the back yard rifle in hand waiting for an Eurasian collard doves to show ( I can always hope hadn't seen on here in 20'years).

I just couldn't pass up the price.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (12344mag, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.