Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11190644 05/17/16
Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been looking forward to finally getting to rope some calves on my draft colt. We've had a bunch of rain and should have been branding for a couple weeks already.

She's 3 now and about as gentle as they come. Her mother was a percheron and the stud a quarter horse.

Here she is about 1 week old

[Linked Image]

And from last saturday. That might not be the first calf but it was one of the first few. You can tell it really made her nervous.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I only roped about 15 calves on her and then switched to my older horse. For a couple reasons, while my colt is very gentle I don't have her reining great yet one handed and we had a lot of ground help so I needed to be dragging them in fast. Plus I didn't want to make her first branding a chore.

I'd already gathered on her the day before plus that morning.

My daughter roped with me too.

[Linked Image]

This is my older horse, half sister to the draft. Out of a different mare. She's 9. When I brought that calf in there was only one wrestler available to I held the back legs while he held the head. I don't remember what Bernardino and I were talking about then.

[Linked Image]

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yo sure did have enough ground help

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Nice Ralphie. They both look a bit Hancock on the color.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
As a greenhorn, I'd like to try that sometime.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Very interesting Ralphie, sweet pony!

Anymore we just use a calf table.

Way slower so we have 3-4 small brandings but it only takes 3 guys, if we're only doing a mini branding(20-40 calves) my dad and I can get by.

Been to a few 'big crew' brandings and they are more fun than work!

I don't see any ear tags, do they band or cut the bull calves?

Nice big calves, we are a couple weeks late as well, some lunker calves now!

IC B2

Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
All but the heifer calves are born on their own out on the winter-spring range. So only the heifer calves get ear tags right away. The replacement heifers will get tags when they calve. So all the cows on the ranch have an ear tag with a number and how old they are.

We still cut the bull calves, but a lot of folks around here band.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ralphie
All but the heifer calves are born on their own out on the winter-spring range. So only the heifer calves get ear tags right away. The replacement heifers will get tags when they calve. So all the cows on the ranch have an ear tag with a number and how old they are.

We still cut the bull calves, but a lot of folks around here band.

When we had cow/calves, we did both, cut and band. It seemed to me that the cut calves grew out better. Seemed the banded calves had a tendency to be more pot-gutted.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do any of you guys schedule brandings according to moon phases? An old neighbor did. He said the bleeding from castration and dehorning was always less and the calves recovered and gained better. On the other side of the coin, my dad always said the moon was right when you got them in the pens......

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The only guy I help with here cuts all his calves and yearling colts by moon phase. He started doing it that way several years back and said he's never had an issue since he started doing that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
The only guy I help with here cuts all his calves and yearling colts by moon phase. He started doing it that way several years back and said he's never had an issue since he started doing that.

I've never heard this before.

We stopped banding years ago and went back to cutting.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Do any of you guys schedule brandings according to moon phases? An old neighbor did. He said the bleeding from castration and dehorning was always less and the calves recovered and gained better. On the other side of the coin, my dad always said the moon was right when you got them in the pens......

My grandfather (92 year old life long farmer) has always cut both hogs and calves by the moon phase. He'd tell my grandmother to check the Farmer's Almanac and would line up us grandson's to be available to help when the moon was right.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What moon phase do they use?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I "think" it is supposed to be best to cut when it's a new moon...again, I don't know enough about it to say. I just show up when he says he needs help.

A guy who rents some of our land will only plant according to the almanac. I know sometimes he's quite a bit later than other local farmers. He's also always got a bumper crop...but that could just be all the chicken chit he uses for fertilizer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've heard about using moon phases all my life but have never seen any verified data about it.
One time I heard a lady say her father always planted his potatoes on Good Friday in the dark of the moon. Well, um, there has never in history been a Good Friday in the dark of the moon so I guess the old boy never got his spuds planted.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a buddy in Idaho that cuts his bull calves with the moon. I think he'd look it up in the Farmer's Almanac and then plan his branding.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
i worked for a vet for 4 years in high school, so we were cutting calves everyday of the month, there is something to the moon deal. you could see it, sometimes they would bleed bad, other times not at all, but we are like your dad huntsman, we work them when we have the time and they are in the pens. I think the sign is supposed to be below the knee but don't hold me to that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Virtually everything you can read on it is someone's opinion. I've never been able to find any real research on it at all.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Following certainly doesn't constitute research. Still it's interesting. Seems like if the moon can effect tides it could effect a body. Of course, there are multiple high/low tides each day....I'd think if the moon sign theory is correct then at least the high/low tides during those signs would be somewhat different than they are at other times. ...interesting, one of you please figure it out, I've got to go dig a few holes and put some corner posts in the ground...

http://www.stallingspainthorses.com/trainer/castrate-moon-signs.htm

"B. R. challenged many veterinarians to try castrating on different dates, and inevitably, they all agreed that horses bled less when cut on the moon signs, so we continue to use this method."

"Barometric changes caused by the gravitational pull during the moon phases evidently affect not only the tides, but the blood-flow in our own bodies."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old man here used to talk about the moon phase and post holes. How some times you barely had enough dirt to fill in around the post and sometimes way too much. He laid it off on the moon. Lots of old timers believed in doing about everything by the almanac. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The moon phase was a major consideration when we branded, castrated and dehorned. It was important that the moon phase was within a month of when we did it...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tides are affected by both the moon and the sun in addition to the earth's rotation. It will be higher and lower during a new moon because both the moon and sun are on the same side of the earth which multiplies the gravitational pull.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by milespatton
Old man here used to talk about the moon phase and post holes. How some times you barely had enough dirt to fill in around the post and sometimes way too much. He laid it off on the moon. Lots of old timers believed in doing about everything by the almanac. miles

Dang...I should have checked before this morning's work. I need to know if I should go back out after lunch or not. Not to worried though, I can find a little dirt if I need more. However, the lighting this morning did have me worried.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've mooned a few holes in the ground. Sometimes the dirt won't all fit in after I'm done.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ralphie, we try to band and tag calves as they are born out in the pasture. A couple small 200-300 acre pieces where we winter and feed. Drive around in the pickup and I rope them on foot. Grouchy cows make for a daily adrenaline rush!

Don, the only thing we schedule around is semi trucks and the weather. Only 3 weeks late this year and there are some BIG fricken calves right now.

But we are almost done with 'Hell week', aka one of my least favorite weeks of the year.

Couldn't find ANY help yesterday so dad and I branded/vaccinated over 50 by ourselves before we lucked out and someone answered the phone. Big 20 year old 'kid' saved our ass, he was a great worker and even he was getting tired out.

Still didn't get done sorting off a couple more semi loads pf pairs until it got too dark to read ear tags.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Ralphie
Nice Rommel reins! Would love another picture of them sometime.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The moon phase was a major consideration when we branded, castrated and dehorned. It was important that the moon phase was within a month of when we did it...

wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sam we couldn't get any help if we used a table lol. We are branding 300 calves at the Lakeview ranch on the 4th of Jun, will have a crew of about 20 to 25. We feed them a big Tri-tip lunch and all the beer they want after the branding. We use a knife to cut and earmark, head and heal everything. Will have about 8 ropers up at a time. We don't separate the calves from the cows, found out the calves are quieter that way. On the moon thing we don't follow it, probably some truth to it though. My guess it has something to do with atmosphereic pressure. Ed

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by m_s_s
Sam we couldn't get any help if we used a table lol.

Ed, I know what you mean!

laughing

We used to wrestle calves, back when my brother and were in school and had a lot of friends.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My dad cut studs for people in a 100-mile radius for many years and always cut by the moon sign. We branded this past Saturday. Great weather and great crew. I will quit ranching before I'd use a calf table and we sort no cows out from the herd. Calves stay quieter and it is easier to stalk the few wild ones with cows in with the calves. Given the choice, we use calf-wrestlers, but we have also used Nordforks when short on help.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have used Nordfork, three Cowboys can work a lot of calves in a day with one. Worst branding I was ever at was when me and this other fool roped and branded 35 calves by ourselves lol. Had to rope and tie off on every calf lol, never got so tired on getting off and on a horse in my life lol. A Nordfork would have been damn handy at that one. Ed

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nordforks can be great with good ropers and one good man on the ground who knows how to quickly and correctly put them on. I sort of prefer them, actually. For years we just used a stake, inner tube, and a rope with a loop. I utilized that technique in my novel, LOOKING FOR LYNNE, where a small crew hires out to brand 1000 calves. Good calf wrestlers are getting harder and harder to find. We had some good kids Saturday but they were long on enthusiasm but short on technique.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.