Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
My brother-in-law's wife has put a deposit on a new Shiloh Sharps BPCR for him. He is a sporadic deer hunter over the past 30 years with rifle and more common BP muzzleloaders. There are a myriad of options to consider, and he's asked me for advice about that since I'm a more dedicated hunting nut/reloader--but primarily w rifles. I'm not very knowledgeable about Shiloh Sharps and such.

he'd use it for fun and deer hunting, maybe even a safari some day.

he's thinking of a 45-70 and I'd load for him.

any advice on other options or in general? most any experienced input is welcome.

Yesu ai zhongguo
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Go here for better info:

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/

Even birds know not to land downwind!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Go here for better info:

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/

I'll second that and add this one, too; Historic Shooting.com LINK It's owned by our own Ranch13 and is a fount of knowledge.

Lots of information out there.

BTW, Shilohs are intended to shoot black powder with soft lead bullets. grin

Here's what a Shiloh Sharps Hartford Model with Semi-Fancy wood looks like. I'll second the steel shotgun buttplate!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 05/18/16.

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Upgraded wood is never a bad idea and their semi-fancy is usually great looking. Definitely get at least AA finish and the custom bedding option. I would also consider a shotgun steel butt plate.other than those only the sky and her purse are the limit

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lot of things that could be... But not knowing a thing about this person, probably best to keep it simple.. #3 45-70, 32 inch standard weight barrel, have them put the borchardt chamber, in case at some point he wants to play with paper patch.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I would recommend a Roughrider in 45-70, octagon barrel, shotgun butt, double set triggers, pewter forend and whatever upgrade in wood he should desire. It would be a functional, yet handsome rifle he could hunt with and never grow tired of...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would go with either the #3 or a Roughrider, 30" barrel half-octagon / half-round, with both the rear and tang sight, chambered in 45-90.

Hunt anything this planet can offer and tear up the BPCR matches to boot!

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The 45-90 is more gun than most want to shoot for most applications. You don't see that many 45-90's on the line at BPCR shoots, the recoil is a bit much. If you shoot smokeless in the Sharps, there is no reason at all to go with a 45-90, too much case.

45-70 is such a good choice because of a availability of all the components and what the 45-70 is capable of doing as a cartridge with either smokeless or black powder...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks very much and keep em coming!

Yesu ai zhongguo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If he's wanting something really special, it might be a good thing to go with a Hartford in 44-77, the rifle and cartridge that started the road to fame for the Sharps rifle co.
Cases are readily available from Captec, bullet moulds are easily had from Buffalo Arms, Brooks, and Accurate moulds.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ranch13
If he's wanting something really special, it might be a good thing to go with a Hartford in 44-77, the rifle and cartridge that started the road to fame for the Sharps rifle co.
Cases are readily available from Captec, bullet moulds are easily had from Buffalo Arms, Brooks, and Accurate moulds.

He can get that for his second one. grin

I'm in the group calling for a 30" octagon barrel, Hartford Model, #3, or Roughrider in .45-70, aka 45-2.1", steel shotgun buttplate.
Easier to get components, much more data out there for a beginner, and easier to get to shoot quicker.

Just my $0.02 grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If he's hunter, keep the rifle to the lighter side and stick with the 45-70. The Sharps company is fine with smokeless in their 70's, but a bit concerned about it in the larger cartridges.

Set trigger and a high end tang sight are good options too. Their fit and finish are likely the best of any production company in the US. One of the few US rifles that I'd consider an investment.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wanted something different than a .45-70, so I went with a .45-90 #1 Sporting Rifle

[Linked Image]

Believe it or not, the wood is "only extra fancy" not presentation grin

30" std octagon, shot gun buttplate AA Wood finish, sights as shown. Last time it was at the range, it put 3 in 2 inches at 200 yards. The chamber is very tight, so loading is a little fussy, but it is a superbly made rifle.

[Linked Image]

For the OP, a .45-70 is never a mistake. There are a couple for sale right this moment at Shiloh.

My next one will probably be something lighter. Maybe a Saddle rifle in .40-65 or .38-55

Or maybe a .50-90 smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
beautiful gun!

he is now following this thread himself and really appreciative

Yesu ai zhongguo
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I wanted something different than a .45-70, so I went with a .45-90 #1 Sporting Rifle

[Linked Image]

Believe it or not, the wood is "only extra fancy" not presentation grin

30" std octagon, shot gun buttplate AA Wood finish, sights as shown. Last time it was at the range, it put 3 in 2 inches at 200 yards. The chamber is very tight, so loading is a little fussy, but it is a superbly made rifle.

[Linked Image]

For the OP, a .45-70 is never a mistake. There are a couple for sale right this moment at Shiloh.

My next one will probably be something lighter. Maybe a Saddle rifle in .40-65 or .38-55

Or maybe a .50-90 smile

How about a little info on the knife in your picture.
I like that a LOT!

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

He can get that for his second one. grin

I'm in the group calling for a 30" octagon barrel, Hartford Model, #3, or Roughrider in .45-70, aka 45-2.1", steel shotgun buttplate.
Easier to get components, much more data out there for a beginner, and easier to get to shoot quicker.

Just my $0.02 grin

Ed

The only thing "easier" about the 45-70 is you can buy ammo at Walmart... The 44-77 made the world safe enough the 45 calibers could come out of their secure space...

www.historicshooting.com
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
...The 44-77 made the world safe enough the 45 calibers could come out of their secure space...

The only reason they made the .44-77 was as a stop-gap measure 'til they got the .45-70 right. In other words, the only reason to carry a .44-77 is to fight your way to a real fighting rifle, the .45-70. shocked

Please note it was the ".45 Gov't", not the ".44 Gov't". grin

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Please note,"govt" = plugged up till there's not getting it straight...

www.historicshooting.com
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
My favorite configuration for a hunting rifle is the Saddle Rifle with a 26 inch 1/2 round standard weight barrel. This is a .4-50 SBN but it works well in .45-70 also

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
[Linked Image]

Same gun showing the semi-fancy wood

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by htredneck

I like that a LOT!

[Linked Image]

The knife is by KA Swearingen of Las Cruces, NM. His website:

http://www.swearingenknife.com/index.html

The model pictured is his Elk Hunter II. 5" forged & differential tempered 5160 blade with convex edge. It will clean several deer before it needs resharpening.

I also bought this one last year from him, it's his "Der Kamp Knife" with a full tang handle, a mashup of two of his standard models.

[Linked Image]

I am semi-okay at knife sharpening; he is an artist at sharpening. smile

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by htredneck

I like that a LOT!

[Linked Image]

The knife is by KA Swearingen of Las Cruces, NM. His website:

http://www.swearingenknife.com/index.html

The model pictured is his Elk Hunter II. 5" forged & differential tempered 5160 blade with convex edge. It will clean several deer before it needs resharpening.

I also bought this one last year from him, it's his "Der Kamp Knife" with a full tang handle, a mashup of two of his standard models.

[Linked Image]

I am semi-okay at knife sharpening; he is an artist at sharpening. smile
i

Well that turned into an expensive damn question...
Thanks for the info!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin no problem!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Unless one is an absolute 'puzzy' the 45/90 is a great choice especially for LR events! Blackpowder doesn't kick anyway; just pushes!

Geeez!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
have two Shiloh #1 Sporters, 50-70 and 45-70. I like them both but suggest the 45-70 for most hunting.
If you plan to shoot smokeless powder, the 45-70 probably makes more sense also. I shoot smokeless 100%, much to the chagrin of many.
For sure shotgun butt
I like their wood and got better wood and AA finish
Pewter forend tip looks nice to me
Get a good quality tang sight, like MVA
I asked Kirk from Shiloh what sights to get for hunting, he said a good tang and Beech front sight

NRA Patron
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,105 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,271
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.