Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I just learned the wife filled the Ford F 150 with E85.
Not a flex fuel pickup.

What should I expect, and what should I do?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From CarTalk:

E85 Gas in a Non Flex Fuel Car
heidibheidib
April 2009 edited 1:11AM in Repair and Maintenance
Two weeks ago, my boyfriend offered to pump gas for me, and after he put the pump back into the gas slot, I noticed he filled my tank with E85 fuel.

I drive a 2007 Ford Taurus SEL that is NOT a Flex Fuel car.

I immediately called my local Ford dealer's service center to ask if I can drive with a full tank. He said it should be fine, just fill it up with regular gasoline when I get a chance.

The car ran fine. The next day, when we were driving back from our trip, the Check Engine Light came on.

I did some online research, and read that this commonly happens after E85 fuel is put into a non Flex Fuel car, since the O2 sensor is affected by the burn off of the E85 fuel.

Since this has happened, I've filled up my tank twice with regular gasoline, but the Check Engine Light is still on. Will the light eventually go off? Should I be more worried about this? The car seems to be running fine - the engine isn't rough or anything like that.

Thanks!
Tagged: Ford fuel engine light Taurus check gasoline Flex e85
Comments
tardistardis
April 2009 edited April 2009
The light should go off after the right number of start/stop cycles with good gas in the tank. Give it a few more fill-ups before worrying about it.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Once it sets a code, you have to have a meter to reset it. If you don't have a meter or a buddy with one, you'll have to pay a shop to do it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can reset the trouble code (turn it off) by disconnecting your battery and then turning on any one device that is always hot, such as your headlights or blow your horn for 30 seconds while your battery is disconnected. This will drain the capacitor that holds enough power to keep trouble codes stored. The only downside here is that any adaptive learning features your truck has will be lost and it will take a while for the vehicle to re-learn your driving habits. You'll also most likely loose your preset radio stations.

I don't know if you're in Canada or Iowa, but if our paths should cross over the next couple weeks I have a scan tool that will turn the trouble light off for you. PM me if you'll be traveling to or from Canada to arrange a meeting. It only takes a few minutes to turn it off.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
O, O, O, O'Reilly Auto Parts will loan a scan tool for free.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I just learned the wife filled the Ford F 150 with E85.
Not a flex fuel pickup.

What should I expect, and what should I do?

Think about it- Flex fuel, in a Flex Frame vehicle- what's the problem? laugh

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think part of the flex fuel conversion is upgraded rubber hoses as e85 eats the regular stuff up. You may have trouble.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A single tank of E85 won't deteriorate the fuel system, only if you continue to run it for a prolonged period of time. The one thing you'll probably notice though is a significant decrease in fuel economy.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (007FJ, 222ND, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,175
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.