24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/18/politics/mitt-romney-never-trump-independent-2016-campaign/index.html

Updated 3:01 PM ET, Wed May 18, 2016

Washington (CNN) — Mitt Romney won't launch a third-party presidential campaign of his own and has stopped trying to recruit somebody else to do it.

The 2012 Republican nominee had attempted to recruit a challenger to Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. But prospects like Nebraska Sen. Ben Sasse said no, and Romney is now dropping his efforts, a source familiar with Romney's thinking told CNN. The news was first reported by Yahoo News.

It's the latest blow to the "Never Trump" movement -- a group of conservatives led by Romney, blogger Erick Erickson and The Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol -- to find an alternative to Trump.

Romney still hopes a candidate will emerge. But an adviser to the "Never Trump" efforts confirmed Tuesday night that the efforts are looking grim.

Part of the challenge, a key "Never Trump" official said, is that prospective candidates need to hear a campaign plan that involves money, staffing, viability, key states to target and a plan to get onto the presidential debate stages.

But the people making the pitches, the official said, "aren't campaign managers. They're writers, activists and politicians. You need someone to say, 'this is how I'd make this real.' The odds remain low."

A list of prospects that include Sasse, Romney, former Marine Gen. James Mattis, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and Ohio Gov. John Kasich have all publicly said they're not willing to launch campaigns at this stage.

Romney had been heavily involved in the recruiting efforts. He encouraged Sasse, the freshman Nebraska Republican, to run -- but Sasse, who has three small children, said he's not in a position to consider it.

Meanwhile, GOP officials are maneuvering to shut down talk of an independent candidate.

Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus said Sunday that a third-party bid would be a "suicide mission."

"They can try to hijack another party and get on the ballot, but, look, it's a suicide mission for our country because what it means is that you're throwing down not just eight years of the White House but potentially 100 years on the Supreme Court and wrecking this country for many generations," Priebus said on "Fox News Sunday," anticipating that a conservative third-party candidate would split the Republican vote and ensure a Democrat wins the White House.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

BP-B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
They gave up when Cruz lost Kentucky last night.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
As usual, Romney is the last one to figure something out.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I hope he's never seen or heard from again.

Why is this even news?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good, that was a fool's errand anyway.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A 3d party candidate:
1. any one stupid enough to not see the futility and how it will get Hillary elected isn't fit to be president
2. any one who does it deliberately to get Hillary elected isn't fit to be president
3. or both

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does this mean that Flip McRomney will slip into obscurity never to be seen or heard from ever again?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
The only 3rd party candidate I want to see this election cycle is Bernie Sanders!

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Does this mean that Flip McRomney will slip into obscurity never to be seen or heard from ever again?

Doubtful.

The Bluebloods get in a tizzy at times, particularly if the wrong people try to join their club.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
The only 3rd party candidate I want to see this election cycle is Bernie Sanders!

...and that could happen. But, though Pat Buchanan seems to think that Hill will evidently not be indicted since he is talking ''almost certainly Trump v. Hillary," I have been wondering if ol' Bern is hoping she'll die by FBI so he's got a slicker 'slip-in'. It could happen. But Hitlary can easily lose if he goes third.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Those guys had better shut up and back the nominee. Otherwise they'll find themselves forced against their will to join a third party that meets in a phone booth. I note the latest FOX poll shows Trump beating Hillary, a big change from a few months ago.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Romney has been irrelevant since he chose to hand the election to Obama. He refused to even fight, by his own choice.

He is a weirdo when it comes to politics.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Romney should just flush himself down the toilet of obscurity and take Mclame with him..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Romney has been irrelevant since he chose to hand the election to Obama. He refused to even fight, by his own choice.

He is a weirdo when it comes to politics.

Couldn't agree more...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
492 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,194 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.