-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is exactly the kind of things I love on this campfire. It always makes my day to hear stuff like this, and know that some folks still love our country.
God bless you for your service, and these ladies for their support.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks from here as well!

Very nice of the ladies!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for your service !!!!!! Enjoy that beautiful gift smile

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Thank you sir for sharing this story and most of all for your service to our country!!!! May God Bless America

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you, fellers, for all your kind words. They are appreciated.

The folks that run the Quilts of Valor program, and all the ladies than make the quilts, need to be commended for all their work. America is still a great country due to people like these who stand up and do good things without being asked.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Congratulations on the great looking quilt, and thanks for your service, sir!

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Very neat and thanks!
America is STILL the best country on this earth!

FJB & FJT
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My wife makes quilts for them. The sewing shop she teaches at gets the gals together at the shop about once a month for this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jnyork
My wife, an avid quilter, wanted to start a new one and was unable to find the material she wanted in our town, so we took a little trip to a well-known quilting shop out in the remote farmlands near the village of Shoshoni, WY, name of the place was, no kidding, Sheep Camp Quilts. crazy

Anyway, very good quilt shop, two nice ladies running it, wife found exactly what she wanted and we got ready to check out. I was wearing my "Air Force Retired, Vietnam Vet" hat like I usually do. The ladies got to chatting me up about what I did and when I did it. After a bit, one of the ladies went in back and came out with a beautiful full-size handmade patriotic quilt and presented it to me with hugs and "thank you for your service, etc". I was just flabbergasted, didn't really know what to say. Turned out, they are members of the National Quilts of Valor organization, which makes these quilts and presents them to war vets. I had never even heard of it but I looked it up later and was quite impressed. It is no small deal, there are about 10,000 quilters involved in makng and donationg these quilts.

Wife kind of sniffled most of the way home. I didn't say much either, just thinking of how things were 50 years ago for Vietnam vets and how things are now.

Here's a pic. If you know a combat vet, wounded or not, you might contact this outfit off their website, see if you can line him/her up to receive one of these quilts.

[Linked Image]
My blood just boils when I hear the stories of what you fine men were subjected to when you returned from the war. It's funny this comes up today, and I had another vet encounter today. A man came in with his eyeglass prescription to get filled, and it was from the local VA facility. As I always due, I mentioned that I saw he was retired military and thanked him for his service. We got to talking and I found out he was a retired Coastie. He spoke of getting off the plane and getting spit on and swore at by the people waiting to assault him. It's deplorable that our military men couldn't feel safe walking the streets of their home towns while in uniform. What a sad state of affairs. I hope all the idiots that saw fit to jeer our men and disrespect them rot in hell for doing this.

My thanks to all our men and women who answered the call to serve. No matter how you were treated in the past, rest assured that there are civilians out there who recognize how much you sacrificed and are forever grateful.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 59 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,437
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.