Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
The Mini 14 ammo thread got me to thinking, I am still convinced the Arsenal AK's remain the best out there but which model and why? Then you have to wonder with an AK's 3-4 MOA accuracy why would not a $600 "AK blaster" be just as good as the Arsenal?

Got me to thinking about Katrina, water up to your neck, mud, no AC, no 120 volt, no TV, no drinking water maybe another AK is not a bad idea! Thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've heard the Century RAS47 AKs with the US made nitrided barrels are among the most accurate right now and even pretty well made. I know the snobs ain't gonna like that but hey, it's a freakin' AK!

Personally, I won't buy any more AKs. They are always a disappointment. The never shoot that great. The best I've had could squeeze out about 1 1/2" groups @ 100 for 5 shots, but after that the barrel got warm and walked just like every other AK I've shot.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
jimmyp, I was thinking the same 10-12 years ago. Picked up custom made to my specs by a popular AK gunnie in AZ out on a hill at that time who will remain nameless (F*e*d*s hassling him too much) on a stamped receiver, 'cause that's exactly what I wanted.

Milled receiver versions are higher quality and possibly longevity, but you pay the price in weight. I wasn't willing to accept the tradeoff. Personal preference.

It does exactly what I bought it for, which is go bang every time I've squeezed the trigger with every Russian steel case ammo I've ever fed it. It will bounce a beer can across the ground at 75 yds, which is what and all I expected it to do. I paid $600 for it and some peripherals, including a laser. It's staying with me.

I picked up an M70AB2 Zastava Yugo underfolder from J&G Sales shortly after. It was the biggest POS and didn't cycle 5 rds in a row. Still got nothing but turds for J&G Sales on that one. They can still kiss my ass. Looked exactly like this:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559603558

but not saying this rifle is the same.

If you ever get down this way, you can take mine out for a drive and make up your own mind.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Buddy has a milled we may be able to get our hands on.

LD

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I like your stock, nice looking weapon. I have never owned a cheap one I had some Bulgarian thing with a milled receiver I bought back in the 90's, more recently a gun from Arsenal. Thanks for the heads up on the Yugo, some say the WASR's are OK for a cheap gun? These days $1200 seems going price for Arsenal guns.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If I was going milled, an Arsenal is probably the way I'd roll. Yeah, they're not cheap. My favorite LGS sells them at a pretty good clip and one gunnie I'm pretty friendly with makes a decent buck making upgrades to them for a lot of the locals that buy them.

I've got a WASR10 I also picked up about 10 yrs ago for < $300. It's "ok". I keep it around to arm allies, if ever needed. It and a couple full 30 rd mags would go a long way in building a relationship.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd go milled, if I ever bought another. There is noticeable receiver flex with a stamped gun. Century Arms is supposedly now selling a US-made, milled receiver gun, that looks useful.

I have not heard about CMMG's Mutant, if they run reliably or not. An accurate, reliable rifle that uses AK mags so far seems to be unobtainium smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most folks will tell you there isn't a bit of difference between milled and stamped receivers as far as accuracy is concerned. Now that's assuming you aren't talking about a re-assembled parts kit gun with a thin aftermarket receiver. A stamped AK will also be about a pound lighter.

As far as which to get, I would either get one from Bulgaria or Russia. Yes, they cost a little more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had one of the stamped Inter Ordinance guns, which was a US Made supposedly all-new-parts gun. You could flex the receiver with your fingers.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I had one of the stamped Inter Ordinance guns, which was a US Made supposedly all-new-parts gun. You could flex the receiver with your fingers.

You shouldn't be able to do that crazy

I would blame Inter Ordinance and not all stamped receivers though.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Got me to thinking about Katrina, water up to your neck, mud, no AC, no 120 volt, no TV, no drinking water maybe another AK is not a bad idea! Thoughts?

Yeah.

Buy an AR.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RAS 47 is questionable,

Look
HERE

For good honest reviews.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
That is too funny! What a POS.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Clark I have one or two of the 22 cal guns

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Clark I have one or two of the 22 cal guns

Well help fight communism and buy another!

SONOFABITCH!

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
RAS 47 is questionable,

Look
HERE

For good honest reviews.

Mike

ummm...okay they beat the chit out of it and it kept firing. At least as long as it didn't have gravel in the action smirk

That didn't exactly answer my questions smirk

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The one made in Finland.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
RAS 47 is questionable,

Look
HERE

For good honest reviews.

Mike

ummm...okay they beat the chit out of it and it kept firing. At least as long as it didn't have gravel in the action smirk

That didn't exactly answer my questions smirk

If you take time and do some watching he mentions his WASR with 7,000 + rounds through it. Many video's where he reviews and torture tests the various brands so you can see whether or not the cheaper ones hold up.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Until they come back down in price, I wouldn't buy one. When they were $250-$350 they were good beater rifles. Now the cheap ones are $550+

For $600 you can piece together a decent AR with a chrome lined barrel.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's an old saying in photography, that a camera body is a convenient place to mount a fine lens. In this case, I'm looking for a convenient place to insert AK mags...and hang my AK scope mount. smile

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
maybe the WASR instead of the $1200 Arsenal that shoots the same....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

416 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 257_X_50, 37 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.