Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A rcbs rockchucker or lee classic cast for the press. The rcbs RC kit is a good buy.

The thing that has improved my reloading the most is Forster Benchrest dies. They're all I buy any more although I do use the lee collet dies some. Just pony up the extra $$$ for the Forster dies, they're worth it. Skip the one shot lube & buy a tin of imperial sizing wax, it'll last the rest of your life.

I hesitate to say a beginner needs a chronograph but for me now it's imperative. You don't need "the best", a $100 prochrono does a great job. I wouldn't be without a case tumbler.

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been handloading since 1953. I still have and use my old Lyman press some. My newer presses and dies are RCBS.

Lee makes some economy things.

I don't think we 'need' a chronograph. But if you like electronic things it's fine.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Shodd

Has anyone ever told you your an RCBS whore? cry grin grin grin
Shod

Only my 'friends' here. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Go to a pawn shop and get a used RCBS Rockchucker or equivalent single stage press. Get the right shell holder and any available set of dies, a cheap balance scale and some One Shot case lube. Then forget most of what has been said about making this harder than it needs to be, ask a friend that has loaded before to help and start reloading.

It isn't rocket science, but it does need to be done right. When you have gotten some experience under your belt, then you can progress into some of the other advice, but for now just keep it simple...

Jarod -

his handle is "shrapnel"........... wink
grin

Shrap does NOT mention Reloading Manuals.....you must know where TO START.

IF - IF you know someone who 'reloads' that will help you, that's great.....I didn't know anyone who was reloading when I started, so I was all alone with 'books' and NO internet. After 40 + yrs of reloading (including the 'Hagel' years) I still have my eyes, nose, & fingers.

Originally Posted by jarodjohns
Any input is greatly appreciated. I've never reloaded nor know anything about reloading.
Jarod

Jerry

edit for spelling

Last edited by jwall; 05/24/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Let the original purchaser "tote the note" so to speak when buying reloading equipment, I have an entire room full of reloading equipment nearly all of it purchased used. Reloading is an expensive enough undertaking the equipment is made to last so why not take advantage of the savings to be had by buying used. I seldom pay more than 50% of what an item sells for new, if you're patient you can obtain most of what you need this way. I save on the cost of reloading manuals by borrowing from friends and copying the section(s) for the cartridges that I reload for. This information is then placed in caliber dedicated ring binders. Saves money and space, pick the ring binder for the cartridge you're loading for and you're good to go, plastic page protectors keep the info clean and make it more durable. If you have friends that reload bulk purchases of bullets, primers, powder can be another opportunity for cost savings. I found a cast bullet supplier near my home and asked for his bare bones pricing. He offered his best pricing for a 100K bullet purchase that could be mix-n-match, shipped in priority mail boxes with 70# limit made this bullet purchase as economical as possible. Just remember the K-I-S-S principle is your friend when it comes to reloading.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Go to a pawn shop and get a used RCBS Rockchucker or equivalent single stage press. Get the right shell holder and any available set of dies, a cheap balance scale and some One Shot case lube. Then forget most of what has been said about making this harder than it needs to be, ask a friend that has loaded before to help and start reloading.

It isn't rocket science, but it does need to be done right. When you have gotten some experience under your belt, then you can progress into some of the other advice, but for now just keep it simple...

Jarod -

his handle is "shrapnel"........... wink
grin

Shrap does NOT mention Reloading Manuals.....you must know where TO START.

IF - IF you know someone who 'reloads' that will help you, that's great.....I didn't know anyone who was reloading when I started, so I was all alone with 'books' and NO internet. After 40 + yrs of reloading (including the 'Hagel' years) I still have my eyes, nose, & fingers.

Any input is greatly appreciated. I've never reloaded nor know anything about reloading.
Jarod

Jerry

edit for spelling

For the sake of simplicity I didn't spell everything out. For a single cartridge, 260 was mentioned, you could go to the LGS and look in a manual, the need to buy 3 manuals and read them from cover to cover for one cartridge is as much a waste of time as a chronograph and several other suggestions made here.

Reloading can be as hard as you make it, but to push someone into a complete manufacturing facility when the interest is as simple as a single cartridge is typical of the Campfire and the tendency to complicate things and then call each other names...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
A rcbs rockchucker or lee classic cast for the press. The rcbs RC kit is a good buy.

The thing that has improved my reloading the most is Forster Benchrest dies. They're all I buy any more although I do use the lee collet dies some. Just pony up the extra $$$ for the Forster dies, they're worth it. Skip the one shot lube & buy a tin of imperial sizing wax, it'll last the rest of your life.

I hesitate to say a beginner needs a chronograph but for me now it's imperative. You don't need "the best", a $100 prochrono does a great job. I wouldn't be without a case tumbler.

+1 and also what shrap said. After 30 years of reloading I now have 1/3 the equipment I started with but get 3 times the results. You can get all the 260 load info you need right here on the fire. You can access almost any load manual on the internet. As shrap said it's not rocket science but it does have to be done right to be safe. I would try to find someone with some experience to help out.

I've been on this forum for awhile and I've always found Shrapnal to have excellent (Common Sense) advice. His experience clearly shows

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 05/24/16.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Shrap -

He said he had never reloaded. He doesn't know anything about dies, setting up or adjusting, seating, lubing, et.al.

I won't give him advice to skip or ignore the basics of getting started. There is a lot more helpful info in a good reloading manual and he would have it for repeated reference.

Yes Shod I generally agree with Shrapnel but us old hands sometimes take things for granted that novices DONT know.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have RCBS dies ~ 60%+.
I'd buy Hornady right now due to their rebate program.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When I started reloading all my equipment was Lyman. I don't remember if RCBS was in business yet.

A Lyman Spartan C press, a Lyman-Ohaus scale, Lyman Dies, Shell Holder and a Lyman Manual...that's all I had to start with. I used that for many years to produce very good ammo at low cost. My ammo shot groups 1/2 the size of factory ammo. The Lyman press was $12. I remember how acquiring a powder funnel made things go much easier.

I don't remember what the scale cost, but it turns out it was a high-end top quality scale and I still use it.

I still have the manual too and as a novice, that was the most important item I bought because I didn't know anyone else who loaded their own ammo in my area, and the internet was really slow back when I was 12 years old.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Jarod,

You didn't state what you will be reloading. A single stage press will meet most of your needs. If you load 50BMG, not all presses fit the bill. Depending on the starter kit, you may out grow it pretty quick. If you plan on reloading 223, 308, 45ACP, 9MM, basically any semi-auto, you may want to look at a progressive press.

Lots of good advice/posts above, here some more input:

If you are not sure this this may be your cup of tea, check out the For Sale thread on this site; Offer Up or some other online used site. Gun shows vendors IMO tend to over charge.

Start a Log. Whether you use a note book, spreadsheet, database, or some other app, record your load development. Take photos.

Set rules for yourself.
1) I never reload / fire a piece of brass more than 5 times.

2) I never mix brass and firearms. The life of my brass stays with one rifle. Each 30-06 has its lot of brass.

3) I keep my reloads in lots. I track the use of each lot

4) If a variable changes (rifle, bullet, brass manufacture, primer), I redo my load development. Its usually pretty close but safe to do especially if you are toward the top of the load range.

5) I always use at least two sources for loading data. Data from a powder manufacture and data from the bullet manufacture.

6) Take my time. Remember your building a bomb. It may take me an hour to neck size and load 20 pieces of brass but I can get half MOA at 100. Patience and Prudence are the two ladies of reloading.

7) I keep my work area isolated to just the rounds I am reloading. The only powder, bullets, primer, and brass at the bench is the one I'm using at the time. All other variables are put away

8) I weight each charge twice (2 different scales). Ok this is probably over board but remember I said these are my rules for myself.

I got into reloading to save money. I found that I shoot more and enjoy shooting even more with my reloads. My preferred 30-06 hunting load (130gr Barnes TTX 55grs of Varget) cost me $0.98 a reload. Switch to 150 Sierra Game Kings and I'm around $0.56 a reload. And I would hunt with that load. My 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser loads are much less expensive then any factory box. You'll find your loads are much more accurate then a factory's one-round-fits-all round and you'll have fun.

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For a lot of my loading weighing a charge even once is overboard. grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Any input is greatly appreciated. I've never reloaded nor know anything about reloading. I've always just shot factory ammo. However,
I picked up a Tikka CTR 260 and would like to start reloading for it.
Jarod

Yes, he said in the OP, P 1--

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"The first and most valuable thing to find is a local mentor."
^
This is always a good thing.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

"The first and most valuable thing to find is a local mentor."
^
This is always a good thing.

+1 and if I'm not mistaken exactly what shrap was trying to get at. You don't need to buy a sporting goods store to load for 1 cartridge. wink

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by mathman
For a lot of my loading weighing a charge even once is overboard. grin

I have the utmost respect for you sir. I've learned a lot from you, but I gotta me blush

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by HaYen

I have the utmost respect for you sir. I've learned a lot from you, but I gotta me blush

Me too ! OLD habits........

I can't bring myself to start w/o weighing a few for CC.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Everyone,

Thank you for the abundance of replies and advice you have shared. I am ready to put most of it to good use. I'm sure I will have many questions once I begin purchasing equipment and loading. First stop will likely be the classifieds for some used equipment or try and find some good sales on a few websites. Wishing I would have kept that RockCrusher I bought from Grizzly Industries last year for I believe $99 shipped. Decided not to reload at that time as I had an abundance of factory ammo.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
124 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.