Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11196070 05/19/16
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I have been without a 9mm for about 25 years and have decided I need another one. I have always liked the Hi-Power and just got an email from Bud's Guns and they have a bunch of different surplus Hi-Power clones in varying conditions. I don't have any experience with any of them so if y'all have any opinions on these as to which are better please chime in. They have the Israeli Kareen, FEG Hi-Power, FN Hi-Power and Mauser SA-80.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For that amount of money my first choice would not be a surplus clone but a brand new Sig 2022 or Walther PPX.

The words FEG and Kareen doesn't induce confidence in a 9 mm pistol.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The P35 was always a favorite of mine but, since I got a CZ-75B about 3 years ago my mind has changed. I call my CZ an improved Browning Hi Power. I highly recommend it to the Browning and have also bought the PCR and the P-06 models. Another plus is that a new CZ is about the cost of the used Browning.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
there is an excellent thread over on the smith & wesson forum on hipowers.
i like them, and have several. Few years ago i bought a belgian FN made for export to israel. it is a nice pistol except the finish is not the high blue you would expect of a hi power. eventual started producing their own, and thats where the kareem came from. The early feg's they also purchased were decent.
personally i think joe has it right. I have seen israeli cz75's in various configerations for sale in the mid 300 dollar range as surplus and i would call it an improved browning hi power too. They are really that good.
When i was looking to buy one i ended up buying two, a B model and the D "commander" size model.

link to the thread
http://smith-wessonforum.com/firearms-knives-other-brands/475827-high-power-clones.html

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/19/16.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't speak to any of the others but I once owned an FEG , it went away.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 6mm250
I can't speak to any of the others but I once owned an FEG , it went away.

Mike

Just for the record - why?

Since FN is the original maker, that would be my first choice.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honestly speaking, it's hard to really appreciate the Hi Power until the trigger has been dealt with, and a proper set of grips are put on the gun; then the stars align.

I'm not sure what they were thinking with the original grips, but they do everything they can possibly do to screw up the ergonomics of the pistol, and the ergos are so good that even all that effort fails. But when you put something like Spegel grips on a Hi Power and give it a proper trigger, then the Hi Power starts to move into a class all its own.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a NIB Box - FEG Model PJK 9HP Hi-Power that is identical to the photo below - imported by KBI.

<><> http://www.m1garand.net/Photos/sell/FEG_HiPower/images/Untitled-3.jpg <><>

FEG was a long established maker of firearms in Hungary - KBI was a private U.S. company & importer of firearms
manufactured under contract and KBI's specifications. Michael Kassner was the President and owner of KBI.

Michael Kassner was also the modern incarnation of 'Charles Daly Firearms' who
long imported firearms from old world foreign gun makers and was known for providing
quality and affordable firearms to American shooters under his specifications.

The Feg PJK Hi Power was named for his wife Pamela Jane Kassner - Also, the PJK Hi Power clone is based on
an earlier coveted model of the original Browning Hi Power and 'parts' are said to be 100% interchangeable with the FN & BHP.
This FEG pistol is considered by some Hi Power enthusiasts to rival, (even surpass) Fabrique Nationale
and Browning Hi Powers models in fit, finish, and performance.

Having 'both', I think that's a bit of a stetch - but I can appreciate the sentiment.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The parts do interchange, fwiw.

The FEG is one Hell of a MkII BHP.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Owning both a Belgian made Hi-Power, and a CZ-75, I will take the CZ every time.

Of course if you are willing to spend some serious $$$ (much like a custom 1911) you can get a very nice BHP, but in the stock form, I find the pistol to be a dog as compared to modern offerings.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I also own both - and I'll take 'both' every time! smile

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Yeah!

Redheads and Brunettes!!!

Wait?! What were we talking about?

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I have a NIB Box - FEG Model PJK 9HP Hi-Power that is identical to the photo below - imported by KBI.

<><> http://www.m1garand.net/Photos/sell/FEG_HiPower/images/Untitled-3.jpg <><>

FEG was a long established maker of firearms in Hungary - KBI was a private U.S. company & importer of firearms
manufactured under contract and KBI's specifications. Michael Kassner was the President and owner of KBI.

Michael Kassner was also the modern incarnation of 'Charles Daly Firearms' who
long imported firearms from old world foreign gun makers and was known for providing
quality and affordable firearms to American shooters under his specifications.

The Feg PJK Hi Power was named for his wife Pamela Jane Kassner - Also, the PJK Hi Power clone is based on
an earlier coveted model of the original Browning Hi Power and 'parts' are said to be 100% interchangeable with the FN & BHP.
This FEG pistol is considered by some Hi Power enthusiasts to rival, (even surpass) Fabrique Nationale
and Browning Hi Powers models in fit, finish, and performance.

Having 'both', I think that's a bit of a stetch - but I can appreciate the sentiment.

having both, i can appreciate what you wrote and the sentiment. My memory is week on this, but the early ones were i think suppose to be a lot better than the later ones.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Owning both a Belgian made Hi-Power, and a CZ-75, I will take the CZ every time.

Of course if you are willing to spend some serious $$$ (much like a custom 1911) you can get a very nice BHP, but in the stock form, I find the pistol to be a dog as compared to modern offerings.

aw mickey, you would have to say that. having bought a 75b and the smaller version a few months ago i would call them an improved hi power. they are pretty sweet.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
My favorite CZ is a model that seems to be largely overlooked.
I like it for some things it doesn't have as well as some extras it has . . .

My first CZ was the CZ-85 Combat. The 'Combat' designation stands for the lack of a firing pin block safety -
which gives the 85 Combat a slight advantage in the trigger pull department.

The basic CZ-75, 85 pistols available today have the 'B' designation which stands for 'firing pin block safety'.
The only difference between '75' and' 85' pistols is that the CZ-85 pistols feature ambidextrous controls & I'm left handed.
But more than that, I chose the CZ 85 Combat for having features:

Manual safety + safety stop on hammer
Sights - 3 Dot
Fully adjustable rear sight
Over travel adjustment on trigger
Drop free magazine

I bought my CZ 85 Combat many years ago when the glossy blue finish was still available.

<><> https://www.slickguns.com/sites/default/files/cz-85-combat-9mm2.jpg <><>

- I don't think mine is quite this blue!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

This. I've owned both and still have my CZ. No flies on a good BHP, however, but I wouldn't go cheap on one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have probably the cheapest HiPower you can get - the FM m95. I don't see any functional disadvantage to it compared to my Silver-Chrome BHP that I wish I still had. I had planned to have some custom work done on it, but frankly, it's just fine as it is with the mag disconnect removed and a little judicious polishing. The only reason to spend more money on a HP as far as I can tell is to have a pretty gun.

As to the HP doggishness.....simple fixes for that. A HP with simple trigger improvement and good grips is still one of the most user-friendly pistols ever made.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

My first CZ was the CZ-85 Combat. The 'Combat' designation stands for the lack of a firing pin block safety -

The basic CZ-75, 85 pistols available today have the 'B' designation which stands for 'firing pin block safety'.
The only difference between '75' and' 85' pistols is that the CZ-85 pistols feature ambidextrous controls & I'm left handed.

Sights - 3 Dot
Drop free magazine

I bought my CZ 85 Combat many years ago when the glossy blue finish was still available.

Good info ( and NICE pic) on the CZ.. I'm also a LH shooter so the M85 would be the only one I'd consider.. Mackay advised me re: the CZ models several months ago and I'd like to try one but there's literally NONE around here..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

aw mickey, you would have to say that. having bought a 75b and the smaller version a few months ago i would call them an improved hi power. they are pretty sweet.
I just picked up a NIB CZ-75 P-01 off GunBroker. Looking forward to taking delivery.

I've only had one CZ handgun before, a 75B, and it was a total dog on reliability (even after hundreds of rounds of break in, plenty of lube, and even with FMJ), but I hear so much praise from owners that I decided it must have been one of those one in a million experiences. I loved the way it felt and shot, despite the unreliability, so give me a reliable one and I will likely be very happy.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Redneck

Sights - 3 Dot
Drop free magazine

Good info ( and NICE pic) on the CZ.. I'm also a LH shooter so the M85 would be the only one I'd consider.. Mackay advised me re: the CZ models several months ago and I'd like to try one but there's literally NONE around here..

there are israeli surplus cz's coming in. J&G had them so did aim surplus. They had a number of different models. one of the ones i got had "massada" marked on the slide. pretty cool

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/25/16.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

713 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,151
Posts18,465,027
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.