Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Does anybody have a solution for this, because S&W doesn't seem to.

9mm Shield, purchased new around three months ago. It's had this same problem with the two factory mags (an 8 and 7) and another new 8 round magazine. There isn't a consistent area in the mags that causes problems either (for example, on the first, last or third round every time).

Ammunition is Speer Lawman 147grain. It's the only ammo I've tested, but it runs great in every other 9mm I've seen. Due to availability, if I can't get it to run this ammo it'll have to go.

I've sent it back to S&W twice. The second time it crashes back with a new, black, ejector. I fired it 108 times this morning and had six malfunctions, each magazine had a malfunction.

This is representative of what happens each time. Sometimes the brass will be more stove-pipe-ish, but rarely. Sometimes a round is stripped from the magazine and loose in the chamber and sometimes not.

Any thoughts?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This morning I fired 50 rounds of Magtech 115grain (1 malfunction), 100 rounds of Winchester 124+P (4 malfunctions) and 70 rounds of Blazer brass 115grain (no malfunctions).

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If that were a 1911 I'd suggest a shorter ejector.

Can you hand-cycle loaded ammo?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yup

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hummm... weird malfunction. Something is obviously screwed up with your particular sample. Generally the Shield is very reliable. I have one that has been flawless. I really like mine - yours not so much.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does the extractor hold a loaded round tight against the breech face when the slide is off and the barrel is out? It almost seems like an extractor issue to me. Do you have another shield you can swap extractors on to try?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
S&W's CS isn't that good. If it makes it through one magazine, they'll send it back to you fixed... While everyone there knows how to assemble one, no one knows how to troubleshoot one and fix it.

Sell it and buy another one.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Blue I am not being a Smart A.., call them up, tell them your in law enforcement, that the gun has not met your expectations and tell them they need to replace it or send you your money back. There is no other choice. I have gotten my money back from Ruger for a hawkeye with out of spec chamber and a DPMS game changer.

For the record I have a G43, which again I might make mention of is a Glock, with its 7.5 pound trigger and non ergonomically formed plastic handle that gives many people fingers and hands ouchies, which from the first time out of the box, every time I pull on that 7.5 pound trigger abortion, the gun just says bang and with everything I have shot in it, just bang. If I hold my mouth just so, and only during a new moon I can put 7 bullets into about 3 inches at 7 yards before you can whistle the first 15 notes of Dixie... smile I have heard several shield problem stories over the time its been out, and again I am the worlds worst shot when it comes to pistol shooting.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
There have been a bazillion Shields sold since they've come out and I've not heard of or read about what I'd call several reports of them with problems. I consider the Shield to be the best CCW pistol out there.

Yes I did have problems with one but the other 5 I've had or shot have ran great. I would not consider it a problem gun.

But the were "several" Grock's that blew up.... smile

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
your just emotionally prejudiced against perfection. grin I know 3 out of the bazillion that had problems.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
but on a serious note Blue should try and get them to replace the pistol or refund his money.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I actually picked up a Grock 19 (by the clean end) yesterday.They still don't fit me but all these sanded Grock threads have me remembering my 32 years ago.

I may wind up with another 19 before long. Just to see.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

9mm Shield, purchased new around three months ago. It's had this same problem with the two factory mags (an 8 and 7) and another new 8 round magazine. There isn't a consistent area in the mags that causes problems either (for example, on the first, last or third round every time).

Ammunition is Speer Lawman 147grain. It's the only ammo I've tested, but it runs great in every other 9mm I've seen. Due to availability, if I can't get it to run this ammo it'll have to go.

I've sent it back to S&W twice. The second time it crashes back with a new, black, ejector. I fired it 108 times this morning and had six malfunctions, each magazine had a malfunction.

This is representative of what happens each time. Sometimes the brass will be more stove-pipe-ish, but rarely. Sometimes a round is stripped from the magazine and loose in the chamber and sometimes not.

Any thoughts?

[Linked Image]

First thing I would check is extractor tension.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Timing on small guns like that is not very forgiving........likely an extractor that is not hanging onto the case tight enough.

Sometimes a stovepipe can be caused by the ammo being a bit light for the spring causing short cycling........are the malfunctions with the other ammo the same?

If so, I lean more towards the extractor/extractor spring being the problem.

I don't own a Shield as I don't like their feel in my hand but I do have a M&P Compact that has several hundred rounds through it, mostly handloads with no issues.........not sure how many internal parts might be common with the Shield.

MM

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
This morning I fired 50 rounds of Magtech 115grain (1 malfunction), 100 rounds of Winchester 124+P (4 malfunctions) and 70 rounds of Blazer brass 115grain (no malfunctions).

before doing anything with the gun, you might try running a couple hundred more rounds of the 115 gr. Blazer brass (or aluminum cased 115 gr rounds by Federal or CCI Blazer), as i note that as your bullet weight has increased, you do cite more failures...

as MM indicated, slide timing can be an issue--and it is quite critical in smaller rigs. in my view, it's a good idea to avoid +P rounds in smaller rigs...

when it comes to "near pipsqueak sized rigs" in 9mm, it is pretty tough to top a Glock 26 when it comes to reliability. i find that i can shoot the G26 almost as well as the bigger rigs (in fact i've often thought that the "perfect 9mm Glock" for me would be the G17 length handle with the G26 length slide--but alas, the G19 will have to suffice when it comes to their offering).

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Any thoughts?

[Linked Image]

Get rid of it as fast as you can, hopefully on S&W's dime. I'd not waste any more energy with S&W to salvage that particular pistol.

If you cannot take a large mixed bag of all sorts of 9mm ammo, and run it through that pistol while dirty, completely trouble free, after S&W has had THREE times at bat to box it up and ship it out in working order, then you do not want to live with that headache. Throw it in a lake if you must.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek

First thing I would check is extractor tension.

I'll second that. It's essentially losing control of the spent case, leaving it in the action. The extractor's primary task is to get rid of the spent case.

Besides checking that the extractor securely retains a case against the breech face, with an external extractor I'd check that there is no debris under it which could be preventing proper function.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have never had a Malfunction from my Shield but mine is the 40 and not the 9

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
What velocity are you getting out of those 147? As others mentioned dwell time and slide velocity can vary radically with the short guns and for me that has been the biggest source of problems in small autos.

I would honestly skip SW to solve it and call Randy or Scott at Apex and see if they have a solution for it.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JOG
If that were a 1911 I'd suggest a shorter ejector.

Can you hand-cycle loaded ammo?

If it was a 1911 I'd suggest it was normal grin

Honestly on the Shield, I'd just get of it and get another.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.