Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#11196299 05/19/16
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have never been to Africa but have been watching a lot of pretty good videos on You Tube lately, about hunting Cape Buffalo and lion.

What jumps out and impresses me a great deal is how much of a pounding these two animals can take before they expire,even with seemingly well placed shots.

Those animals are tough!

It seems these guys are using mostly 375's and 416's.

I'm not looking for a "this caliber vs that" conversation here just making an observation and am interested in personal experiences of those who have done either. I will never shoot a lion but am planning to go to Africa next year and a buffalo is a possibility.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
A buddy of mine shot a buffalo with a .416, and the bullet passed through 2 chambers of the heart (according to the veterinarian who did a post mortem.) The buffalo was still on its feet after 20 minutes--just standing, so it was not pumping much blood due to exertion, but still an impressive display of "notdeqviting."

And on my only buffalo hunt, my rifle was chambered for a cartridge that started with a .4, and that felt about right.

[Linked Image]

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Utah thanks!

It's funny...seems like you shoot them, they grunt,twirl their tail.....and run off. Like you whacked them with a fly swatter. smile

I hear you on the 416 and that's the advice from friends who have BTDT; but it MUST be the 375 for me....I cannot handle bigger anymore. frown

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a neighbor get into a "rodeo" with a black angus once. Why he was trying to put it down, I don't recall. But when it was all said and done several 12 ga slugs and sections of fence were the cost. I imagine their wild counterparts would be even more resistant.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Bob, are thinking of hunting Africa? You should!

I don't think there's a lot of real difference between a 416 and a 375, and a lot of PH's and experts in the field say so as well. Both are considered medium bores in Africa. Until you get into the big .45 calibers and above, you aren't really dealing with a true "stopping" rifle/caliber. And if your rifle isn't in the stopping class, you might as well stay with a comfortable shooter like a 375 rather than buying a 416, which will only punish you more with minimal increase in terminal authority.

If you read books and articles by people like Craig Boddington, whose job is to sell as much stuff for as many manufacturers as possible in the shortest possible time, of course they will endorse any caliber as being desirable. But the fellows who had to (or still have to) limit their rifle battery to what they can carry for days/weeks in the bush, you learn quickly that they will carry all manner of rifles for hunting, but for stopping DG they seem to gravitate to the biggest rifle they can handle. I just finished reading Ian Nyschens' book on elephant hunting, and have read the full works of John Taylor, and many others; these guys didn't mess around with a medium bore rifle when they knew they'd be fighting for their lives against elephant and buff.

Because, as you say, these critters appear to be hard to stop.

My one and only buffalo exhibited impressive determination to not shuffle off his mortal coil after I put a 300 gr A-frame through both atria of his heart, essentially cutting off all blood supply to his ventricles. He still managed to run 75 yards, fight off another bull that was trying to gore him, and still didn't fall down for a good 45 seconds. When he finally did fall down, he continued to toss and mutter for a good 5 minutes before he let out his "death bellow". My PH, who estimates he's stopped over 100 buffalo charges in his career, had his Rigby 470 double up and ready to follow up my shot in case the buff sussed us out and charged.

Tough critters. As Nyschens says, "It's hard to believe he [Cape Buffalo] is a member of the bovine family."

Last edited by DocRocket; 05/20/16.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Let me in on the enabling.......come on Bob you tightasss, turn loose of some of that cheddar and get on over there! smile

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob,

What DocRocket posted is true--but mostly about previous generations of hunters. I've talked to a bunch of PH's about buffalo rifles, and not just those I've hunted with, and the majority think the .375 is just perfect. In fact many use it for their personal buffalo hunting, and the PH I know best, who recently retired at 65, often used his own .375 when guiding buffalo hunters (though he preferred his .458 Lott when guiding elephant hunters). As he noted, this frequently resulted in him being out-gunned by his own clients--but he also had to follow up an finish a number of buffalo shot by those bigger rifles.

The reason for all this, of course, is better bullets, which have improved enormously since the days of Taylor and Nyschens. Back then many hunters preferred solids in the .375 for buffalo hunting, because "softs" weren't reliable penetrators. Today a bunch of .375 expanding bullets work very well on Cape buffalo.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I don't think that pound for pound African game is any tougher than anything else. Cape buffalo are probably no harder to kill than moose, bison, or eland. What is different, however, is what they do if they are wounded. As for lion, there are no comparable carnivores you can hunt. That said, a lion weighs less than an elk and, like all cats, its nervous system is sensitive to high velocities.

I think much of the "mystique" comes from American hunters procuring a heavy rifle that they can't really shoot well, and not practicing very much, subsequently wounding the game. They would be better off with something lighter. I have killed one lion, with a .375 through the heart. It ran about 40 yards and dropped dead. It would not have mattered if I'd used a .300 magnum with 180 grain bullets, which, incidentally, is legal on lion in Zimbabwe.

I have shot two elephants (body shots), two Cape buffalo, and two hippos, one each with a .375 and a .458. If you aim for the right place and hit it, there is no difference I could notice based on my limited experience.

It is said that Jack Lott came up with the .458 Lott after firing a lot of shots with a .458 Winchester into a buffalo without killing it. The problem was not a lack of power. The problem was that Lott was a lousy shot.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Doc: Great story! Hard to believe you can hit them that well and they manage to keep it together.

John: I have all the parts sitting here ready to ship to Gene for a 375. That's how I will roll mostly due to familiarity. Seems it's enough with good bullets and I will get busy on that as well. smile

I know there are a lot of experienced guys who say the 416's draw more reaction but I have been shooting a 375 for 30 years and really do not want to swap calibers now. 375 it is!

JG: Yeah I need to loosen up the chedda. smile i will admit to a degree of ambivalence about going but decided I want to do it.

Which I announced the other night and my daughter chimed in and said..."I'm going!"

Next day my son called my wife and said.."They aren't going without me!"

So there we go.....looks like the clan will be coming along LOL!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Let me in on the enabling.......come on Bob you tightasss, turn loose of some of that cheddar and get on over there! smile

i agree Bob. If you love to hunt Africa is the Super Bowl

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Heres a frinstance for you Bob. My pard on a buffalo hunt in Zim shot his bull in the heart with a .375 300 Gr. Swift A frame.

Switched off guns, as his tracker was carrying his .458 Lott....

Shot it in the heart with that too.

Buff still on its feet, so the PH shoots it ( in the heart) with his .500 double.

Needless to say it all worked, but the boys took the heart and hung it up in camp, the three holes looking for all the world like a bowling ball. grin

My buffalo caught a .375 Swift A frame in the heart, ran 100 yards, then caught three quick 300 grain Monolithic Solids, and one solid from my PHs .460 Wby....all aimed for bone, but the bastid kept bouncing back up like a rubber ball....

After this rapid fire solid action, he was convinced, and caught one more in the spine from 6 ft. as 'insurance'...

Good times! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sam I know you been there. I kept expecting to see you in the videos.... grin

Ingwe: That's unbelievable! What are those hearts made of? Truck tire rubber ? Sees you can't destroy them.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Craig Boddington has shot a pile of buffalo, and after a while wrote that he found the standard behind-the-shoulder, double-lung shot used on deer as effective as any. In fact he's killed several with a 300-grain .375 Sierra GameKing, placed just behind the shoulder, just like most hunters would shoot a whitetail. And no, he did not write that to promote Sierras as the perfect buffalo bullet.

But many PH's still suggest a low "shoulder" shot, to break the big bones, which usually means a heart shot--but I suspect that's a holdover from the days when solids were commonly advised: Breaking bones meant a more inside damage, due to "bone shrapnel."

But today's deep-penetrating expanding bullets make a big hole through both lungs, and kill pretty quickly. However, that's only if, (as an old elk hunter once advised) you "give them time to die." Buffalo are big animals, and like elk and, especiallu, moose it takes a while for the lungs to fill and collapse.

The tendency is to shoot any buffalo as long as it's standing, which is smart. But a second shot (or third, fourth, etc.) tends to get them moving again.

The first bullet I ever fired into a buffalo was a .375, 300-grain Fail Safe, a bullet that expanded and penetrated exactly like a Barnes TSX. I aimed at the shoulder, but the buffalo stepped forward at the shot so the bullet landed just behind the shoulder. The PH and I shot three more rounds, but the bullet that did the job was the first Fail fafe, which left an exit hole the size of my fist. That bull went around 60 yards before stopping and, a few second later, collapsing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Doc: Great story! Hard to believe you can hit them that well and they manage to keep it together.

John: I have all the parts sitting here ready to ship to Gene for a 375. That's how I will roll mostly due to familiarity. Seems it's enough with good bullets and I will get busy on that as well. smile

I know there are a lot of experienced guys who say the 416's draw more reaction but I have been shooting a 375 for 30 years and really do not want to swap calibers now. 375 it is!

JG: Yeah I need to loosen up the chedda. smile i will admit to a degree of ambivalence about going but decided I want to do it.

Which I announced the other night and my daughter chimed in and said..."I'm going!"

Next day my son called my wife and said.."They aren't going without me!"

So there we go.....looks like the clan will be coming along LOL!

Shoot that 375! I shot one with a 416 Rigby and one with a 9,3X74R. Both shots were quartering and through front shoulders, then on into the heart.

Both animals turned and made the Classic hop as they headed away. Both dropped about 100 yards from where they were shot.

The third one I shot was another hunter's gut shot bull that had taken six more hits with a 9.3 and a 416 Rem, the hunter's gun and PH's gun respectively. I finished it at close quarters with a 416 high spine shot.

If I were to do it again I would use my fine old FN/Sako chambered to 375 Wby, not because the Wby chambering has any advantage but because I love the rifle.

I went with the older conventional wisdom of a solid, followed with softs at the behest of the PH. Knowing what I now know, and with the many great bullets we now have, I would have several softs on top and the solid third down.

You owe yourself a cape buffalo hunt. No two are the same.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Utah thanks!

It's funny...seems like you shoot them, they grunt,twirl their tail.....and run off. Like you whacked them with a fly swatter. smile

I hear you on the 416 and that's the advice from friends who have BTDT; but it MUST be the 375 for me....I cannot handle bigger anymore. frown

But ... your sig line says you have a 7 Mag ... smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
John/Luv2: Looks like anything else...hit through the lungs they will make tracks but are safely "dead".

Looks like a really fun and exciting hunt!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have not shot a buff, YET!!

You can hunt all of North America with a 30'06,; you don't NEED a 338 to shoot elk, but lots of people do.

You don't NEED a 416 to hunt Africa but lots of people do.

Take the 375, it's been doing the job for 105 years???
The bullets are better than back in the day, recoil isn't too bad, trajectory is certainly acceptable and usable...

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hancock: Great cartridge....one of my favorites!

I've had this hanging around a couple of years now. Time to get it ready to go! smile

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/20/16.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

i agree Bob. If you love to hunt Africa is the Super Bowl[/quote]

Yes, it truly is.....

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Good to see you are heading over Bob. I will be in Zim late next year chasing buffalo and sable with my 416 M70. cool

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I feel fortunate to have made two safaris, with my son, to Africa. One, a plains game hunt in RSA, in 2008, and two was to Zim, in 2011 for a "poor man's" DG hunt. On the second trip, we took two cow cape buffs, a tuskless cow ele, and a hippo. Three of the four were one shot kills, with a pair of Ruger No. 1s in 375 H&H mag. I know I'll never be able to go back, but for those of you who are still thinking about it, just GO! In this crazy world, you may not be able to hunt anywhere in Africa, in a few more years..... frown

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 05/21/16.
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

But ... your sig line says you have a 7 Mag ... smile

Talus I have a pre 64 FW 30/06,and that will be my Light Rifle if I go. cool

Ed those M70 416's are neat rifles. I recall yours.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bob, if you are going to Africa, prepare to have your life changed.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Bob, if you are going to Africa, prepare to have your life changed.... grin

Ingwe: Oh gee thanks! Just what I need. It might be too late for that LOL!

But I can see getting over there and wanting to hunt till you drop. It looks really nice, food looks great,and it seems you are always looking a some kind of animals.

I could get used to it! smile

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Indeed, Bob!

Here's a pic of the heart of my buff taken immediately upon removing it from the chest. The wound you see here was entirely due to the bullet (300 gr Swift A-Frame), the skinner's 8-inch knife is merely shown for scale.

[Linked Image]

This bullet shattered the near shoulder blade (scapula), passed through the chest cavity and into the far shoulder, where it was found under the hide. This is about as well as you can hit an animal in the chest, and he still lived 6-8 minutes. Plenty of time for a "dead" buffalo to do a tapdance on your head if he takes a notion to do so.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Craig Boddington has shot a pile of buffalo, and after a while wrote that he found the standard behind-the-shoulder, double-lung shot used on deer as effective as any. In fact he's killed several with a 300-grain .375 Sierra GameKing, placed just behind the shoulder, just like most hunters would shoot a whitetail. And no, he did not write that to promote Sierras as the perfect buffalo bullet.

Craig has a reputation for promoting all kinds of equipment, bullets, rifles, etc, which I alluded to in my earlier post, but that isn't a knock on him. The man hunts with the products he promotes, it is clear. He does promote Swift A-frame bullets in his buffalo videos, but he also gives credit to Sierra, Barnes, and Woodleigh bullets in various places.

But many PH's still suggest a low "shoulder" shot, to break the big bones, which usually means a heart shot--but I suspect that's a holdover from the days when solids were commonly advised: Breaking bones meant a more inside damage, due to "bone shrapnel."

But today's deep-penetrating expanding bullets make a big hole through both lungs, and kill pretty quickly. However, that's only if, (as an old elk hunter once advised) you "give them time to die." Buffalo are big animals, and like elk and, especiallu, moose it takes a while for the lungs to fill and collapse.

I have no doubt that the double-lung shot will work very well on buffalo. Even Jack O'Connor believed in the double-lung shot on anything, including elephant.

I find it interesting that Boddington has come around to lung shots, after all the effort he put into delineating the heart shot in his book and videos on buffalo. FWIW, I devoured his book & video, as well as Kevin Robertson's book, in preparing for my safari.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Doc: Wow...great photo. Picture worth a thousand words.

That seems to be a fair amount of damage. I have never used them but am impressed with your description of the performance of the 300 Aframe. I have herd that from more than one source.

Thanks and keep it coming! Love these autopsy reports! smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Break bone and mobility on the way to the vitals.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Break bone and mobility on the way to the vitals.

jorg: How I have always rolled.....once I learned that's the way to roll. wink

Sound advice. TX.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Allen Day told me that before my first trip to Africa and at least in my experience, he was spot on. I used to go for the double lung shot on game and yes they all died, but they ran a ways. When I switched to the central shoulder shot, animals if they ran, didn't go very far.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think Allan knew what he was talking about.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
What country are you thinking of hunting Bob?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not trying to take away anything from African game, the lore is there.

But I used to bowhunt a LOT. I"ve seen quite a few deer with an broadhead holes through the heart that have made 300 plus yards of as the crow flies distances. Generally through the lower chambers instead of uppers.

I've seen MORE deer with holes through the basic middle of BOTH lungs that were alive 3 hours plus later.

I've got a bit of experience with archery... I don't shoot dull heads. I know a bit about what I'm doing...

That said I have about zero desire for Africa, but funny, I have a desire for a kudu and I don't care how I take him. But a nice pretty hide, and representative but not huge horns.
I also have a desire for a buff. Any buff. But only with a bow.

RE other comments on recoil, I could find almost no difference between a 375 HH and a 416 Rem Mag years ago.. I'm after a 416 or 458/458 Lott to have handy in AK in the coming years... but have not been serious about the look. I don't think you can get to big really on dangerous stuff, as long as you can shoot them well enough.

Animals, and I have no clue why from one to another... there is always that how scared and did they just breathe thing thats possible, but they tend at times to live a LOT longer than folks think. Being a bowhunter I've seen a LOT of stuff die up close and personal since there is no boom to frighten em etc.... they have no clue you are there, they don't go far, sometimes coming back to you rather than other direction.... Animals are flat tough at times.

Then you see someone gut shoot one with a rifle and it falls over never to twitch again....

I often wonder in Africa if its not due to hunting on foot and the fact that the animals have to know you are there when they are in big herds. But I've never been. Hvae no clue, maybe thats not the clue at all. Maybe most animals never have a clue a human is close when they shoot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Craig has a reputation for promoting all kinds of equipment, bullets, rifles, etc, which I alluded to in my earlier post, but that isn't a knock on him. The man hunts with the products he promotes, it is clear. He does promote Swift A-frame bullets in his buffalo videos, but he also gives credit to Sierra, Barnes, and Woodleigh bullets in various places.

I have no doubt that the double-lung shot will work very well on buffalo. Even Jack O'Connor believed in the double-lung shot on anything, including elephant.

I find it interesting that Boddington has come around to lung shots, after all the effort he put into delineating the heart shot in his book and videos on buffalo. FWIW, I devoured his book & video, as well as Kevin Robertson's book, in preparing for my safari.

Some folks get a bit hung up on things not falling when the gun goes boom.... a bit to hung up IMHO. I don't even think those quicker to fall die quicker, they are just immobilized quicker and are still in the process of dying while all the high fives and such are going on... And why in some cases with ANY animal, while the backslapping is going, from a DRT... the DRT gets up and goes away with a non vital high shot....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Allen Day told me that before my first trip to Africa and at least in my experience, he was spot on. I used to go for the double lung shot on game and yes they all died, but they ran a ways. When I switched to the central shoulder shot, animals if they ran, didn't go very far.

If you hunt in places where an animal can run 200 yards before it dies, and there are inaccessible-to-you locations within that radius, lung shots are less likely to put meat in your freezer and horns on your wall than shoulder-heart shots, in my experience.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by rost495

Some folks get a bit hung up on things not falling when the gun goes boom.... a bit to hung up IMHO. I don't even think those quicker to fall die quicker, they are just immobilized quicker and are still in the process of dying while all the high fives and such are going on... And why in some cases with ANY animal, while the backslapping is going, from a DRT... the DRT gets up and goes away with a non vital high shot....

And this is a strong argument for Jorge's "break down bone on the way to the heart" position.

Particularly so if the beast you've just shot has a reputation for belligerence whose propensity when injured is to attack the creature that caused its injury, rather than just running away.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jeff I have seen heart shot stuff go quite a distance; lung shot, too....sort of a fact of life. smile

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Shot three buffs. One with a .375 and two with 458 Lott. Didn't notice much difference, other than the distance they can run with a heart shot out is impressive. Whatever you are shooting them with is far more adequate than being in the living room over here talking about it. The best advice is practice and just go. Never regret that.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Bob, I am interested in why you are taking your 06 fwt instead of a 270?

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pat I have a perfectly good pre 64 FW 30/06 here that has never been hunted.

And a good supply of 165 gr Bitterroots.

It's been awhile since I hunted with the 30/06 and would just like to bring that rifle.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

If you hunt in places where an animal can run 200 yards before it dies, and there are inaccessible-to-you locations within that radius, lung shots are less likely to put meat in your freezer and horns on your wall than shoulder-heart shots, in my experience.

From my experience with non African game, I have one train of thought. If it has to be DRT for whatever reason, the target is the brain. NOthing else and you better hit it.

Breaking bones even on deer does not render them immobile, only the CNS does that. Spine is too small... brain is the target.

I"ve often wondered WHY shoot an elephant for the brain but nothing else?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Let me add, on precision shots, and all shots for that matter, folks get to hung up, IMHO again, on the fact taht if the PH or guide says you can shoot that animal, they feel its the PH or guide saying you HAVE to shoot that animal and NOW...

The ability to know when and where you can and should shoot is much more important.

I've passed shots on larger animals than I"ve ever seen, because I had not a good shot. OTOH I"ve shot game where I had a good shot a lot farther than most ever will.

The ability to know when and when not to, is very important.

And teh guide should never be saying... hurry he's getting away... or he's going to run....

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

elkhunter: SA and Namib for plains game.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Check references and make sure you go with a very reputable PH and have a solid contract in place. Trust but verify everything. Have fun; it will be great. For buff, you're best to target Zim on your journey from SA to Namibia smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pat I have a perfectly good pre 64 FW 30/06 here that has never been hunted.

And a good supply of 165 gr Bitterroots.

It's been awhile since I hunted with the 30/06 and would just like to bring that rifle.

.. and more reason to bring it I can not think of.

:-)

To the rifle loon happiness is 'choice contentedness'.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ready: Exactly. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[

Most elephants are taken with heart/lung shots and not brain shots. A brain shot is the preferred target, but harder to hit. Also, elephants are quite easily immobilized with a shot to the pelvic girdle or rear leg bone. As to DRT and the brain, I also have to disagree. Virtually all of the deer (for example), that I've taken with a 257 Weatherby and shoulder shots, have been DRT. In my view the secret is a mix of penetration, shot placement and velocity.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

elkhunter: SA and Namib for plains game.

cool

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
[

Most elephants are taken with heart/lung shots and not brain shots. A brain shot is the preferred target, but harder to hit. Also, elephants are quite easily immobilized with a shot to the pelvic girdle or rear leg bone. As to DRT and the brain, I also have to disagree. Virtually all of the deer (for example), that I've taken with a 257 Weatherby and shoulder shots, have been DRT. In my view the secret is a mix of penetration, shot placement and velocity.

I think the higher shoulder shot often is close enough that shrapnel, or pieces of bone break the spine, and if it doesn't it gets both lungs. I have more DRT than with typical lung shots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

I have taken a handful of Cape and NW Red Buffalo, maybe a dozen in total. I've shot them with .450/00. and the 9.3 x62, I've brained them 8mm Mag, dropped one on the run with a .338, and even used a handgun with the 9.3 JDJ. My hunting mates have used .375, .416, and .458s.

I've found a few things to be true.

- Premium expanding bullets are more effectiv than solids in rendering a quick take down.

- a well placed shot on an undisturbed buffalo takes them without drama or complication. A shoulder/lung shot puts them down usually within yards.

- Botch your first shot and they become near bullet proof and you must hit the central nervous system to bring them down quick.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
[

Virtually is the key word there. My 257 Wtby experience mostly mirrors yours with deer/pigs other than I"m not blowing the shoulders or such apart rather simply punching ribs/lungs or heart. Instead of DRT, we get a 30-50 foot run generally. Not enough to worry about. I can see hitting bone, but regardless, virtually is not the same as always.

I'd think, but don't know, that always would be the thing you look for on dangerous game. Rather than virtually.

RE pelvic bone on elephants, thats a preferred shot too? I had not read that. Generally I"ve read very little, but almost all old writings, about braining elephants rather than chest shooting them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No, the preferred shot is the heart/lung on elephant, mainly because clients are not that proficient on front end brain shots. Side brains are easier, as the ear gives you a decent aimpoint. But they DO run, hence the pelvic or rear leg bone to keep them from running, particularly if close to a concession border.

On buffalo, lion, leopard and indeed everything else, If you shoot the shoulder, you WILL get the lungs and top of the heart. As to "always" on DG, that rates a "DUH". The shoulder shot accomplishes TWO things, punches the heart or lungs area AND degrades mobility, which is sort of important when it comes to DG. A heart lung shot will not.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I learn every day.

RE the DG stuff though not running brain shots on other stuff, (IE I get the elephant stuff, seems lazy that folks don't research and practice but thats another soap box of mine) Why don't you shoot lion/leop/buff etc.. in the head? There is NO issue if you brain those? Again simply the non ability of shooters is my guess? And much larger room for error on a low shoulder shot? Or do you strive for the high one and if you miss top of heart, thats fine, because the chances of damaging the spine are much higher?

I suspect since I was a kid and my mentor taught me brain shots on deer as I grew up, that I"m a bit biased to that shot and how easy it is to locate the brain and that you either know you'll make the shot or you pass it up for the next shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I learn every day.

Why don't you shoot lion/leop/buff etc.. in the head?

I've taken Cape buffalo with a frontal brain shot, but it's not a big target - between the eyes and under the boss. It worked for me once, but once was enough. Botch that and you have 1600+ pounds of trouble after you.

As for cats, braining them is a bit more tricky. A frontal shot has been known to fail because of the flat slope of the skull has been known to deflect a bullet without penetration. Cats, especially leopards on bait, move around and don't stay still for you to concentrate - often in failing light - on a plum sized target. Add to the equation that a head shot jacks up your trophy.

I took my elephant with the classic heart shot. He presented broadside, and I was confident in the shot. A right and left from my double, and he was down in 50 yards.

I've been a fan of the high shoulder shot. It takes out the lungs and stuns the central nervous system for down on the spot results. If you shoot high, you severe the spine, go low and get the heart.

Truth is Grandad was probably right when he told me to shoot everything slightly behind the shoulder braodside or center of the chest looking at you. Can't really go wrong there.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And I've always been a fan of A-FRames.....

AFRAME FAILURE.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Read the thread. I'd sure like to know more about the hunt, the brush, the shot, but shows nothing is foolproof.

I've had some superb results with the RWS H-Mantle. I wish I could still find them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
. I just finished reading Ian Nyschens' book on elephant hunting,

"Months of the Sun"? Great read! I know several old Rhodesians that knew Nyschens and all said he was one peculiar dude. You'd have to be to spend that much time in the bush. Pondoro's books are some of my favorite reads.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's an old thread as you can see, but the key is velocity. it certainly demonstrates if you are a speed freak, monos are the way to go...

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
And I've always been a fan of A-FRames.....

AFRAME FAILURE.

mmm....never seen one mashed flat like that.

Jorg how about Northfork? Solid base and all that?

The Barnes 270 TSX? Read many good reports on those?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob: Truth be told, even though I've mostly transitioned to the TTSXs, the old fart in me still prefers copper and lead. When my best friend and I went for buffalo (he with a 375 and I used a 416 Rigby), I loaded both with A Frames with great results, same for a bunch of PGs where I also used Partitions in my 300 Weatherby, all with great results.What drove me to the TTSXs, was the overwhelming conversion by experienced African and Big Game hunters to them, that and another friend who really helped me with my first safari, experienced a failure with a Partition (not enough penetration) out of his 375 on Buffalo. On the North Forks, even though I've taken no game with them, everyone I know that uses them loves them, including a very experienced and mutual friend John S. My 450NE double LOVES them in both softs and solids and if I ever get back to Africa I will give them a try. Incidentally, for my upcoming elk hunt, even though I have 180 TTSXs loaded up in both my 300 Weatherby and H&H, I just purchased some North Forks and will try them out this week. Lastly, on the 270 TSX, both Randy and Connie Brooks prefer them to the 300 grainer-for buffalo- and the same for the 350 v the 400 on the 416. jorge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well hell yeah, because NOBODY has ever posted a pic of a Barnes that didn't expand...

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And your point is? If a bullet flattens out and fails to penetrate, the animal may be lost or in the case of dangerous game, only serve to turn a hunt into a dangerous situation. In contrast if a Barnes fails to expand (highly unlikely with the bigger bores) it still punches through and makes TWO holes, still leading to bleeding out and death. But quick, go roust the other Barnes haters....

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've shot a grand total of two buffalo - both with a 300gr Nosler Partition for the 1st shot and the rounds in the magazine were loaded with 300gr solids.

The first buffalo was shot at less than 40 yards facing me with his head up and the bullet struck at the junction where the neck joined the body. When the bullet hit his heads jerked higher and did his rear legs -- same moves used by rodeo bulls. He hid the ground hard and after 15 or 20 seconds he gave the death bellow. The bullet, which the skinner found and gave to me, had broken the neck where it dips down and then continued toward taking the heart. I'never seen anything hit the so fast or so hard.

The 2nd was a double lung shot taken at about the same distance. On impact the buffalo threw up his head spun away and ran about 29 yards and hit the ground dead.

I've only ever had two animals run very far = the first was a large zebra stallion that took two solid hits from the same .375 I used on the buffalo - the first shot was a running broadside at 100+ yards that was a solid broadside hit that rolled him over but he barely broke stride and the 2nd shot placed just behid the shoulder staggered him until we ealked up and I put a finishing shot into his neck.

The hardest to bring down from my limited experience was a large sable bull - 4 shots starting at a bit past 150 yards - the first one standing entered in front of his right hip and exited behind his left shoulder and knocked him to the ground - the next 3 shots were running and each was a solid hit that traveled the length of the body. I had to reload between shots and was reloading a 2nd time when the PH ran up and finished him off --- he gotten back on his feet and was trying to catch up with the herd.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I'm a real fan of North Forks. Two 300 grain NF soft points (not even the stronger cup point) I recovered from a buffalo were perfectly mushroomed and weighed in excess of 290 grains. One had broken the buff's spine and I could not tell the difference between it and another that had penetrated an impala stem to stern. I used their solids on elephant, hippo, and follow ons for buffalo.

As for shooting cats in the head, the chest is a much easier target and skull measurements are how trophies are judged. Besides, the skulls look cool if they're not blown to bits.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And your point is? If a bullet flattens out and fails to penetrate, the animal may be lost or in the case of dangerous game, only serve to turn a hunt into a dangerous situation. In contrast if a Barnes fails to expand (highly unlikely with the bigger bores) it still punches through and makes TWO holes, still leading to bleeding out and death. But quick, go roust the other Barnes haters....

I watched a Barnes hit a whitetail in the ribs and then deflect up and exit out the neck. Was that due to it not expanding? The world will never know.

Yes the animal was obviously recovered. But I still consider it a failure. If that bullet had picked a different angle to go the buck might have ran off.

I'm not a Barnes hater. If I was, I wouldn't be shooting them in several rifles. I just don't buy into the whole thing about them being the worlds greatest bullet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't either, and in fact most of the game I've ever taken has not been with either the TSX or the TTSX. I started using them for two reasons, they are the most consistently accurate hunting bullet I've ever uses (with the Partition on the other side of the spectrum), and lots and I mean lots of folks I know and respect, with literally hundreds of species taken, almost all swear by the TSX/TTSXs.
My 300 Weatherby and H&H, for example, like both the NPs (and I took at least a half dozen animals in Africa with them) and the TTSXs, but in contrast, my 375, 257 and 7mmWeatherby do not shoot them well.
So I go by either personal experience of advice from folks I know and trust. North Forks are also superb bullets according to all my friends who use them and they have indeed been accurate in the calibers I've used, so I would love to try them someday. Accuracy and consistent performance is what I look for, particularly on high dollar hunts, and in my observation, the Barnes' have proven to be the best.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Jorge,

It is a mystery why some rifles love NPT's, other don't. Same with the TSX/TTSX; some like'em, some don't.

I've heard it postulated that the relatively open base on the NPT can spread somewhat, expanding to obdurate into a slightly oversized bore; better engagement of bullet with rifling, better accuracy.

Not sure if anyone really knows, but it has and is being observed. The Barnes are very uniform and can be extremely accurate. I find that with Cutting Edge copper bullets, similar results with GMX and E-Tips.

Do you find mono's to be more consistently accurate than NPT's, or said another way, do more rifles across the board perform better with mono's than NPT's?

I guess that's what makes Loony stuff so loony (and interesting)...

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
DF: I've only tried T/TTSXs and CBEs (in my 450 NE only) and I've found the Barnes' to be consistently more accurate than any other bullet in just about every caliber I've tried.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I am truly a Barnes fan, but it was strongly suggested to me that I consider Swift A-Frame for my 2015 Cape Buffalo hunt in the Free State of the RSA.

I was carrying a Dakota Model 76 in .416 Rigby with 400 gr A-Frame bullets.

The initial shot dropped the buffalo in its tracks, but I "paid the insurance" with another shot to the heart as it was lying there.

[Linked Image]

The bullet was recovered during the skinning process against the off side hide. The 400 gr A-Frame retained over 390 gr of its original weight.

[Linked Image]

It was a high shoulder shot, but it worked for me.

donsm70

Last edited by donsm70; 05/26/16.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don: That is exactly the same combo I used on buffalo. My friend used a 375, also with A Frames. That is what surprised me about the link I posted, although the impact velocity explains the failure and that is where the Barnes shines. I think anyway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any thoughts on 250gr TTSX for buffalo?

Do or do not, there is no try.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It'll kill 'em.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The 270 TSX has such a following, I guess the newer 250 TTSX is the step child.

To me, the 250 TTSX makes a lot of sense, better B.C. for a long shot and classic Barnes penetration.

I'd have to give it a serious look if going for buf. I've read some accounts claiming the 270 TSX is more accurate. I'm gonna try them both pretty soon and we'll see what my M-70 has to say about it.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

To me, the 250 TTSX makes a lot of sense, better B.C. for a long shot and classic Barnes penetration.

I'd have to give it a serious look if going for buf. I've read some accounts claiming the 270 TSX is more accurate. I'm gonna try them both pretty soon and we'll see what my M-70 has to say about it.

DF

Huh?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EdM

DF

Huh?

B.C.'s: 250 TTSX is .424; 270 TSX is .326.

Barnes tops the 270 TSX at around 2,800+ fps. They don't currently have data for the 250 TTSX on their web site.

Surely a 250 will fly a bit faster than a 270 out of the same gun.

Higher velocity + higher B.C.'s = flatter trajectory. Both will penetrate and kill stuff.

Just saying.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm sitting at 135 buffalo now, spread across 3 continents. Most were taken with a .458, but plenty were with the .375 and some with the .416, .450 and some 30 cals as well.

If there's a better buffalo bullet than the A-Frame I sure don't know what it is. The Barnes is OK, and a darn sight better than many but its no A-Frame. Solids suck in general.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by hatari
[Linked Image]

I have taken a handful of Cape and NW Red Buffalo, maybe a dozen in total. I've shot them with .450/00. and the 9.3 x62, I've brained them 8mm Mag, dropped one on the run with a .338, and even used a handgun with the 9.3 JDJ. My hunting mates have used .375, .416, and .458s.

I've found a few things to be true.

- Premium expanding bullets are more effectiv than solids in rendering a quick take down.

- a well placed shot on an undisturbed buffalo takes them without drama or complication. A shoulder/lung shot puts them down usually within yards.

- Botch your first shot and they become near bullet proof and you must hit the central nervous system to bring them down quick.

Damn what a beautiful ole hard bossed bull, Bob, what Hatari says would ring true with me, a 375 or 416 with three or four hundred gr Swift A Frames would be hard to beat imho.

Trump Won!
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
I'm sitting at 135 buffalo now, spread across 3 continents. Most were taken with a .458, but plenty were with the .375 and some with the .416, .450 and some 30 cals as well.

If there's a better buffalo bullet than the A-Frame I sure don't know what it is. The Barnes is OK, and a darn sight better than many but its no A-Frame. Solids suck in general.

That's really interesting....

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y

ever try the woodleigh? just out of curiosity.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gunner that IS a beautiful old bull!

They are impressive animals.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by yukonphil

Just the Hydro solid on buffalo. Didn't like it, but it's probably fine for what solids are good for; almost nothing.

Used a pile of Woodleigh 180s in the 30-06 at moderate range, they are a very good bullet. Much prefer them to the TSX.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Just the Hydro solid on buffalo. Didn't like it, but it's probably fine for what solids are good for; almost nothing.

Used a pile of Woodleigh 180s in the 30-06 at moderate range, they are a very good bullet. Much prefer them to the TSX.

M70Guy: You seem to prefer the tougher heavy bonded bullets over the monos. How come?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

M70Guy: You seem to prefer the tougher heavy bonded bullets over the monos. How come?

They hit visibly harder on everything, rip bigger wound channels and yet always seem to have enough penetration. Many mono hit animals don't even look hit.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Some A-frames covered from water buffalo, which are considerably larger than the African. You'll notice the .375s have a distinctive double bulge from the higher velocity, while the .458s are straight sided from a 2200 fps launch. At Lott speed they also start the double bulge. The lone solid entered beside the tail and stopped in the bottom lip.

Bullet picking gets boring with A-Frames. They are boringly predictable, you've seen one you've seen them all.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
sounds and looks like a set of barnes X type bullets. Boringly the same results round after round after round.

That said, I've nothing against A frames either, just that I prefer the extra bit of insurance that a Barnes gives me.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM

DF

Huh?

Barnes tops the 270 TSX at around 2,800+ fps. They don't currently have data for the 250 TTSX on their web site.

Higher velocity + higher B.C.'s = flatter trajectory. Both will penetrate and kill stuff.

Just saying.

DF

I get all that but I thought you (we?) were talking buffalo where a 100 yard shot is long?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Gunner that IS a beautiful old bull!

They are impressive animals.

Sure enough Bob, they have my undying respect. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

DF

Huh?

Just saying.

DF

I get all that but I thought you (we?) were talking buffalo where a 100 yard shot is long?

I understand.

I'm not a buf hunter, probably never will be.

Just Loony stuff, but one would have to show that the 270 TSX will out penetrate the 250 TTSX, and it may, to make a case for it over the 250. There must be a trade off somewhere between the extra few ft. per second and 20 extra grains of bullet.

If I was facing a buf, I may go with the 300 gr. A-Frame as suggested by another contributor. I've read some accounts on .375 300 gr. NPT performance to suggest that the A-Frame may be the best of that type bullet.

The 250 TTSX should be a good choice for all around use, not excluding a buf.

Just thinking out loud...

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks DF and MD,

I have a pile of the 250's, but was reading Robertson and he was pretty high on the 350 for buff out of the 375. I'm thinking of a buff hunt and may have opportunity to go sooner than I thought I might. Just wondering if maybe I should try the heavy heavy. I suppose I'm thinking too hard and should just go with the 270 TSX or 300 A-Frame...just thinking aloud. Cool thread guys. I love this stuff. grin

Do or do not, there is no try.
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm sort of incapacitated right now so have been watching a LOT of African hunting videos for want of anything better to do.

Seems to me an awful lot of guys are using 375's and 416's to shoot EVERYTHING. I mean I don't think I've seen light rifle in use yet. It all seems like 375....375....375 LOL!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Here you go Bob,the smallest and largest I killed in Africa with a lowly .30/06 and 180 gr Nosler Partitions.

Steinbok.
[Linked Image]

Zebra.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In 2002 I took a .30-06 (and a Remington 700 at that) with a 3-9x scope and 180-grain Partition handloads to South Africa, just because I wanted to demonstrate what a plain-vanilla combination like that would do. It worked fine, of course, including dropping a big kudu at around 350 yards.

Of course, at the last minute a bullet company asked me to fiueld-test a new one, so I had to take another rifle--but a spare can come in handy on a long trip. This time it did, because a hunting partner's rifles never did show up in Johannesburg until a week after we headed dome. But the .30-06 worked fine on a bunch of animals throughout the two-week safari.

John Steinbeck
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ken/John: Well that seems like the sensible thing to do is bring a 30/06 and a 375/416.

I dont know who these guys are but I am seeing some funky stuff on there....375 RUM's, braked Weatherbys', all kinds of really big rifles but the 375 seems obviously dominant.

Looks like lots of 416 Remingtons too. Think they are Blasers.

They really mow stuff down, whatever they are shooting!

Interesting to see the mix of rifles, scopes etc. Nobody seems worried about PF/CRF LOL!

But I notice the PH rifles are invariably Mausers of some sort...at least what I am seeing.

Is it common to shoot long there? Most shots seem pretty moderate distance wise.

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/30/16.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Seems to me an awful lot of guys are using 375's and 416's to shoot EVERYTHING. I mean I don't think I've seen light rifle in use yet. It all seems like 375....375....375 LOL!

There's a lot of sense in doing so. If you have multiple rifles along on your safari, you run the risk of being in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong rifle. There are plenty of true stories of folks out for a stroll for small antelope with a little .243 or so who ran into a cranky buffalo or lion and ended up dead. Ruark told a tale or two along those lines, IIRC, and Captstick's books are full of such yarns.

As my PH said, "If you simply plan to shoot everything with your 375 and 300 gr Swifts, you'll never have to worry about that sort of misadventure happening to you."

And it makes sense. I've killed everything from Texas coyotes, hogs and whitetails to Cape buffalo and kudu with my 375's and 300 gr A-frames. I read Jack O'Connor, and took his dictum to heart: the 375 H&H's 300 gr bullet exterior ballistics are almost identical to those of the .30-06 with 200 gr bullets. That means a 375 H&H is truly a 275-yard deer rifle that happens to be capable of killing truly big game like 2000-pound eland or moose at 200+ yards, yet also capable of anchoring dangerous game at close range. No switching out of rifles or ammo, just use the same rifle and same bullets for everything. How can you not love that?

Getting ready for my safari last summer I shot over 700 rounds of 375 H&H ammunition over a 2 month period, which gave me a sense of really solid familiarity with my rifle. There is no substitute for that sense of confidence when you're in the thick stuff with buffalo bulls and lions less than a 2-second charge away. I submit that you won't get that same sense of familiar ease if you've got to divide your range preparation among 3 or 4 different rifles. And then when you're in the bush with the "wrong" rifle in your hands, then what?

Just take your 375 and be done with the overthinking.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
My longest shot was about 350 yds on a Red Hartebeest using the woefully inadequate .30/06 and 180 gr Nosler Partitions. Loaded the 180's to the barely able to leave the barrel speed of 2750 fps from a 24" barrel.

[Linked Image]

The rest of the shots were around 150 yds or less.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Getting ready for my safari last summer I shot over 700 rounds of 375 H&H ammunition over a 2 month period, which gave me a sense of really solid familiarity with my rifle. There is no substitute for that sense of confidence when you're in the thick stuff .....

Doc: Im proud of you...I don't know who told you to do that, but hardly anyone ever does...... whistle

I shot over 600 rounds all offhand through my .375 before my buffalo hunt.
I remember thinking the only gun Ive ever had that I felt so familiar with was my Red Ryder ( no schitt...) when I was a kid.....
That level of confidence is indeed unbeatable, and was nice to have more than once on that trip. When it looked like things were about to get hairy there was no doubt about the target getting hit, hence little to no apprehension about the situation(s).

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Doc: That sure makes a ton of sense!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I ran 400'ish 270 gr TSX's through my M70 375 H&H prepping for brown bear this year. Though with the relative "ease" of shooting off sticks (non-existent in Alaska) I expect to do the same with my 416 Rem M70 for next years buff in Zim. No question such shooting is humbling...

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ed I guess the sticks require some practice. Have not tried them all that much.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I'm sort of incapacitated right now so have been watching a LOT of African hunting videos for want of anything better to do.

Bob,

We, my three son's and I, on two trips 11 years apart have swatted an awful lot of plains game up through eland using the 7x57 (160 gr AB), 8x57 (180 gr BT), 358 Win (200 gr TTSX) and 9.3x62 (250 original X) with DRT results. I will head for buff/sable next year with a 416 Rem M70. I realize my M70 375 H&H might make more sense but I bought the 416 years ago to hunt a buff some day and so I will. grin

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting and informative thread.

I leave for Africa PG hunt in three weeks. As of now, I have shot probably 500 plus rounds off sticks in various rifles since January. 375 H&H, 9.3x64, 270, 7mm-08, and the 300 H&H that is going on the trip.

In developing loads for the 300 I tested:
200 gr NPT avg 2 plus inches
180 gr NPT avg 1.75 inches
180 gr GMX avg 1.2 inches
180 gr TTSX avg slightly under an inch
165 gr GMX was the same at right at an inch

These are averages for all the loads tested with a particular bullet.

My results do not surprise me at all, which is why I am not a NPT fan. I keep trying them, thinking I will find a good load. But after this last go round, I am done including them in any initial testing. So I have two boxes of 180gr NPT that will be going into the classifieds in the near future.

I finished loading up 200 rounds of the 180gr TTSX tonight and that is what I will be taking.

All I have been shooting lately is the 300 along with plenty of dry fire practice, including off the sticks using local deer as live, dry fire targets. There is only one other rifle I have ever been this comfortable with, and that is a 270 I have owned for over 20 years.

If my buffalo hunt materializes in the next few years, I will be taking my 375 and 9.3x64. The 9.3 already has a good 286gr TSX load ready to go. I tried NPT to no avail, and the 250gr TSX and GMX did not shoot well.

The limited shooting I have done with my 375 is showing promise with the 270gr TSX. Not even going to try a NPT in this rifle. I will see if I can get a matching load with the Hornady 270gr. The 250gr GMX also shoots very well and will get some attention in future load development.

Arcus Venator
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ed thats as good a reason to bring the 416 as I can think of.....it'll work and you want to!

An experienced friend who posts here tells me the 416 s a more convincing buff rifle than a 375.....what do I know? smile

Many of these guys I am watching were in DG country, mostly ZIM and TZ,and had full license, so they could bump into anything like Doc Rocket has said. I watched one guy do good work with the 375 on everything from Grants gazelle on up.

It was beautiful to watch. grin The thing is a flyswatter on those plains game. Gotta love it!

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
CRS: I don't know what to say about the Partitions....as you might know I have had much better luck with them. smile

But if I could not get MOA from them I'd look for something else too. Generally I have had no issues getting that kind of accuracy in quite a few rifles.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Insofar as practice is concerned, I am a competitive (less so as I age) NRA High Power target shooter. I find that the "muscle memory" skills necessary for offhand or rapid fire target shooting with a center fire match rifle directly transfer to more powerful bolt actions used for hunting in Africa.

Thus I can practice less with the .375 or .458. In fact I think practicing excessively with a .458 will actually hurt, because developing a flinch is more likely. The .375 has WAAAAY less recoil and that is why I prefer it.

Once I get a zero and a reasonable group, I don't shoot off the bench. Just sticks and offhand. I find that, to get a good natural point of aim, I need to face more toward the target with sticks than offhand. I don't care about little bitty groups, just reasonable ones. Also I don't care about getting the ;last fps of velocity. 2500 fps with a .375 is plenty for anything.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Indy good advice. I always found short but frequent sessions with hard kickers was how to get a grip on them.

Lots of shooting with light kickers builds muscle memory.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob,

A few years ago I went through my loading notes and averaged all the 3-shot groups fired with Nosler Partitions, from 60-grain .224's to 400-grain .416's. That's ALL the groups, not just from the loads that shot most accurately, and the average was 1.01 inches. That may not win any benchrest contests, but it's generally good enough for big game hunting, especially in Africa where paying the trophy fee if something is wounded and lost seems to cut down on longer-range shooting. (Well, and often not being able to see anything beyond 200 yards in a lot of thornbush country.)

Probably the 60-grain .224 Partition has given me more trouble than any other, but eventually found a faster twist than the typical 1-14 of .22-250's and many other .22 centerfires normally gets it into an inch as well.

Like you, have also generally found Partitions shoot best with maximum loads, but as the head bullet designer at Nosler suggested many years ago, a slightly faster powder also often helps. It doesn't always have to be "fast," just something like one of the 4350's instead of H4831 or RL-22.

The first big game load that consistently put 5 shots under an inch at 100 yards from one of my rifles was what would be considered too much IMR4350 behind the 100-grain Partition in the Remington 722 .257 Roberts inherited from my grandmother. The muzzle velocity was well over 3200 fps from the 24" barrel, but primer pockets in the Winchester brass remained tight, and bolt lift was easy. This was long before laser rangefinders, and I sighted the rifle three inches high at 100, which turned out to be dead-on at 300. This came in handy when backing up pronghorn hunters I was guiding, especially when I learned how to use my scope's reticle as a rangefinder.

At the other extreme, CZ 9.3x62 groups three shots well under an inch with 286 Partitions, and my Whitworth .375 H&H does under an inch as well with 260 Partitions, but "only" about an inch with 300's. My CZ .416 Rigby likewise does about an inch with 400-grain Partitions and Nosler solids--but that's with a scope, and I only use a scope about half the time. With the express sights it shoots Partitions into about 2 to 2-1/2" inches at 100 yards, which has been accurate enough for buffalo at under 100.

Of course, like you when working with Partitions (or any other expensive premium bullet, whether Barnes TSX's, Swift A-Frames or whatever) I start with a cheaper bullet of similar weight, usually either a Hornady Interlock or Sierra GameKing or ProHunter. When I've found a powder and charge that works pretty well, then I switch to the more expensive brand, and almost always find it will shoot with a similar load.

John Steinbeck
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CRS: I don't know what to say about the Partitions....as you might know I have had much better luck with them. smile

But if I could not get MOA from them I'd look for something else too. Generally I have had no issues getting that kind of accuracy in quite a few rifles.

I scratch my head also with them. I have found two good loads with them. A 210gr out of a 338-06 and a 150gr out of my Dad's 270.

I really wanted to take the 200gr to Africa and see how they would compare to the 338-06 load I used on a few elk. But after shooting a couple boxes of them, I threw in the towel.

I am very happy with the monometals having used on them for many years on lots of big game animals. I hope to not recover any of them from my upcoming trip. I like entry and exit holes and will shoot to break bones. This will be a change, as I am typically a meat hunter and try to keep it in the ribs. I will also not be afraid to put as many shots in the animal to get the job done.

Like I stated above when/if a buffalo hunt ever materializes, I will take monometals and not even think twice about it.

Arcus Venator
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
John agreed on all counts, although admit that when it comes to 22 caliber, i use BT's and can't recall ever using a 22 caliber Partition!

The 1"/MOA standard you see is about the same for me although some custom rifles have shaded that well and I have had a few custom rifle that just bug hole the things.

The it comes to a 270 with a 130 NPT I am frankly surprised if I can't get them to cut an inch anymore from my rifles, but then it isn't often I will even bother with load work until the rifle is properly bedded and tuned. This may be one reason I have so little difficulty with them. The problems are usually rifle, not bullet, related.

I learned a long time ago to make sure the rifle was "right" before starting serious load development. The rifles that have given problems were generally raw, and untuned.

Another factor is the straight ammo business you taught me years back....I have "fixed" Partition "problems" simply by making sure run out was .005 or less and watched groups shrink...from those same tuned rifles.... smile

Still they are game bullets and I don't expect target quality groups from them although it sometimes happens.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ingwe

Getting ready for my safari last summer I shot over 700 rounds of 375 H&H ammunition over a 2 month period, which gave me a sense of really solid familiarity with my rifle. There is no substitute for that sense of confidence when you're in the thick stuff .....

Doc: Im proud of you...I don't know who told you to do that, but hardly anyone ever does...... whistle

I shot over 600 rounds all offhand through my .375 before my buffalo hunt.
I remember thinking the only gun Ive ever had that I felt so familiar with was my Red Ryder ( no schitt...) when I was a kid.....
That level of confidence is indeed unbeatable, and was nice to have more than once on that trip. When it looked like things were about to get hairy there was no doubt about the target getting hit, hence little to no apprehension about the situation(s).

Thanks again, Obi-Wan!! wink

A couple-three guys I truly respect gave me more or less the same advice. My PH suggested a minimum of 300 full-power rounds in the month prior to travel. You suggested 500 rounds, offhand. Another guy recommended 400 light-recoil practice loads, and 200 full power loads.

I bought 200 Hornady cases and loaded them all 4 times. I left 25 rounds with my PH in Africa, and I have about 35 loaded rounds left. So that means something like 745 bullets went down my Caprivi's barrel. About 2/3 of those were "light" practice rounds, which consisted of 300 gr Sierra bullets (which cost 1/3 what A-frames cost) loaded over enough 5744 to give about 2000 fps, and which for all intents and purposes hit to the same POI/POA out to 100 yards. In each range session I'd shoot 40 or 50 reduced-recoil loads, and then 20-30 full power loads (again, using SGK's).

I've taken my 375 to the range a couple times since then, just because. I often take it out of my gun safe and just leave it leaning in the corner by my desk while I work or play on the innanet. I like the feel of it in my hands. I like bringing it up to my shoulder and sighting on one of the sets of horns on the wall, working the bolt, snapping a cap, feeling the wood. It's become my favorite rifle. Funny thing, really.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by EdM
I realize my M70 375 H&H might make more sense but I bought the 416 years ago to hunt a buff some day and so I will. grin

I totally get that, Ed. laugh

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Thus I can practice less with the .375 or .458. In fact I think practicing excessively with a .458 will actually hurt, because developing a flinch is more likely. The .375 has WAAAAY less recoil and that is why I prefer it.

Quite right.

One guy I took some advice from is Peter Flack. He is no slouch with a heavy rifle, as you might expect, but he still advocates a program of working up to your heavy rifle in each range session. Using similar sized/stocked rifles, he works up from a .22 rimfire to a light sporter in a caliber like .243 or so, then a medium like a 9.3 or 375, then finally his heavy rifle (.450+). He limits the number of rounds of heavy ammo fired in each session to avoid developing a flinch.

I followed his program for the first couple of weeks of my "conditioning" program. After that, though, I found that going straight to my 375 each session was not a problem. But I wasn't practicing with a true heavy rifle, so I can't say whether that would be an issue. I expect it would.

Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Once I get a zero and a reasonable group, I don't shoot off the bench. Just sticks and offhand. I find that, to get a good natural point of aim, I need to face more toward the target with sticks than offhand. I don't care about little bitty groups, just reasonable ones. Also I don't care about getting the ;last fps of velocity. 2500 fps with a .375 is plenty for anything.

I agree and I agree again. Practice from field positions, not off the bench. I found shooting clay pigeons took my mind out of the dangerous idea of "shooting for groups". If I hit the claybird, which was smaller than a buffalo's heart, I figured I was good... whether at 10 yards, 50 yards, or 200 yards. And 2500 fps with a 300 gr A-frame is plenty of velocity.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Bob,
Of course, like you when working with Partitions (or any other expensive premium bullet, whether Barnes TSX's, Swift A-Frames or whatever) I start with a cheaper bullet of similar weight, usually either a Hornady Interlock or Sierra GameKing or ProHunter. When I've found a powder and charge that works pretty well, then I switch to the more expensive brand, and almost always find it will shoot with a similar load.

Mule Deer, I fell into the same practice some years ago when I read about it in a gun magazine. Some rifle nut in Montana named John Somethingorother wrote about it. I thought he was likely bullshitting, but tried it and sonofagun if he wasn't right.

I guess some of them gunwriters might actually have it right every now and then.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Doc,

Well, we all know that gun writers either lie (about results) or steal (ideas from other people). So I suspect that guy stole the idea from somebody else!

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob,

That's pretty much been my experience.

One of the easiest load work-ups I've ever done was for an ULA (pre-NULA Ultra Light Arms) .270 Winchester. This was a "test rifle" Melvin built in the late 1980's to send around to gun writers, but eventually I got it permanently--for a few hours before Eileen picked it up and informed me it was hers. It had a #1 Douglas barrel, 22" long, and weighed exactly 6 pounds with the 2-7x Bausch & Lomb I mounted.

Another gun writer had told Melvin that it shot best with 130's and IMR4350. Up until then Eileen had been using a somewhat heavier .270 with 130 Hornady Spire Points for most use, and 150 Partitions for elk and moose, mostly because we were kinda poor. But by the time the NULA showed up we were somewhat above water, and decided to load 130 Partitions only, for use on everything from antelope on up.

I can't remember the exact powder charge, but muzzle velocity was 3100+ and the groups were in the half-inch range at 100 yards. Eventually tested it at 300 and all the groups were well under 2". She killed a lot of animals with that rifle and load before developing recoil headaches and switching to a NULA .257 Roberts.

John Steinbeck
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
John I have no doubt the Partitions shot good because Mel builds a good rifle! smile

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, his are generally really easy to load for.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,457 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,574
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.