Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Porkies aren't protected, though, and there's no need to take a closer look before shooting.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Porkies aren't protected, though...

Go hug one and get back to us...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Porkies aren't protected, though, and there's no need to take a closer look before shooting.

Depeneds on where you live.

From: http://www.gf.state.az.us/i_e/pubs/ArizonaPorcupines.shtml

This persecution of porcupines continued through the 1950s and 1960s until 1972, when a wildlife manager in Flagstaff named Wayne Anderson recommended that the season be closed on what was no longer a problem animal. Almost no one objected, and the Arizona Game and Fish Commission agreed: Conditions had changed. The porcupine was no longer a noxious animal and has remained a protected species in Arizona ever since.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I remember when I was a young kid, a friend of my father told me that porcupines were protected in most of the northern New England states, the upper midwestern states and several Canadian provinces. I never checked into it, but his story was that they were protected because they were the only mammal that a man in a survival situation could reliably kill without a firearm.

In most states these days, anything not classified as a game animal is protected unless it is specifically designated as a nuisance.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They're not protected in Idaho. You just need a hunting license and the stamina to track them for many miles to hunt them. grin

― George Orwell

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sure have alot of Porkeys here in Northern Michign!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
His mentor on this hunt should pay the price. He to should have his lic taken away for some time. Maybe he'll learn what he's hunting in the future. No excuses.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Seven0Eight
Well...15 year olds have done much worse. The guy turned himself in...still gets in some [bleep]...I bet it's the last time he or junior tells the truth to the COs

Well, I'm not certain of the regs is Idaho (read: too lazy to look them up) but don't you have to have the hide sealed and skull examined (tooth extracted for age determination) anyway. My point is, he was necessarily going to bring the evidence into the fish and game department anyway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Around here turning yourself in will get you a lot of leniency. Are grizzly bears an endangered species in Idaho?

NRA Endowment Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, Idaho requires that the hide and skull be taken to an IDFG office for tagging. Dumping the carcass will get you in a much deeper hole than admitting you screwed up.

Are grizzly bears an endangered species in Idaho?
They're endangered everywhere in the lower 48 where they're found. The feds MIGHT delist them in the near future but of course the anti's are fighting it. If they do, ID, MT, and WY will divy up the available tags and sell them for a very high price.

― George Orwell

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The late Dr. Charles Jonkel, considered for many years one of the top bear biologists on the planet, once said that even highly trained biologists couldn't always tell a grizzly from a black bear just by looking at one on the wild. Even some he darted during his research fooled him, and he handled hundreds of bears in his lifetime.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw one time either an 8 foot brown black bear or maybe it was a grizzly, I was never quite sure. Either way it would have been nice to tag that one......

Gerry.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lonny
I'm just trying to wrap my mind around shooting a 500 pound grizzly and not realizing it was indeed a grizzly until later that evening?

Good grief, that is pretty close to shooting an elk and thinking it was a mule deer.

It's not uncommon to have elk shot as mule deer. New hunters do it frequently, and we had several cases of that here in NV.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I took a guy who was about thirty years old hunting for his first doe hunt. I grew up reading the hunting and fishing magazines so I knew what I was looking for the first time. We jumped a herd of elk and this guy jerks up his rifle.
"Wait! Wait!" I exclaimed. "What are ya doin?"
"Well, we're here to hunt aren't we?"
"We're here to shoot a doe deer. Did you notice the color on those animals and their size?"
"Yea."
"You noticed they are about the size of a horse?"
"Yea."
"Well we are looking for something about the size of a very large German shepherd dog about the color of a tan chihuahua, okay?"
"Got it," he said.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
So did he get his chihuahua?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
So did he get his chihuahua?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
grizzlies ? meh, overgrown rats.... don't know why people worship them

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 3,141 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,741
Posts18,401,179
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.