Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#11198407 05/21/16
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Do they even make this any longer? Makes Unobtainiam seem ubiquitous.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Last edited by Deflagrate; 05/21/16.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Got 5lbs I'll sell, course it won't be cheap.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

buddy of mine bought a 5# jug at Natchez about 3 weeks ago...

even haz mat/shipping was OK...watch your local shops..

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few months ago I picked up several pounds at a local store--which is the first they'd gotten in for quite a while. So it is being made now and then.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I pick some up whenever I see it. Very useful stuff.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gil Favor

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I have seen it in 3 or 4 places here in Connecticut recently.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I use it it my Marlin cast boolit loads....

4 gr with a 158 in 357...6 gr in 44 mag & 45 Colt cast 200 & 250's

never a chance of double charge..fluffy stuff..

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been playing with TB and dippers to see how close I can keep to my chosen charge for swaged Hornadys in my .44 rifle. Looks promising so far. The real question is how that load will shoot. My Little Dandy is another option. Very hand for pistol cases.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Gil Favor

Head 'em up! Move 'em out!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
This stuff is great. I'm glad I laid in a supply before it got scarce. Thanks to Trailboss my eight year old is now convinced the 9.3x62 is the rifle for him and is saving his money!

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by pabucktail
This stuff is great. I'm glad I laid in a supply before it got scarce. Thanks to Trailboss my eight year old is now convinced the 9.3x62 is the rifle for him and is saving his money!

I always thought it'd be good for practicing shooting positions. Just load a cheap bullet in your favorite rifle and practice until point/shoot becomes second nature. I suppose when that favorite rifle is a big bore, it'd be even better....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Found out today that my Little Dandy throws 6.8gr +-.1 with the #24 rotor, only half a grain off the max listed for .44mag 240gr cast bullet in the Hodgdon annual. If it shoots okay, I'll play with it up and down a bit to find tge sweet spot if any and maybe try a different rotor.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by barm
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Gil Favor

Head 'em up! Move 'em out!

Keep rollin' rollin' rollin'

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

BUY those Makarov Bullets advertised in the classified and load 15-18gr of TB under them for a great 9,3 plinker load!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11200346/Estate_Sale_-_Brass,_Bullets,_#Post11200346

Under Bullets...

"100 sierrra 9mm makarov bullets in box $15"

Last edited by luv2safari; 05/22/16.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559578659

Buy it now for 22.50 / can

Last edited by popesixtus; 05/22/16.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by luv2safari

BUY those Makarov Bullets advertised in the classified and load 15-18gr of TB under them for a great 9,3 plinker load!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11200346/Estate_Sale_-_Brass,_Bullets,_#Post11200346

Under Bullets...

Been there and tried that. Total erratic debacle. I think they're too undersized. The 270 grain speer is champion for such work. When the boy gets older the speer at about 2000-2100 should kill deer just fine. In the meantime I keep meaning to get a NOE mold and try my hand at casting.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I noticed Trail Boss on the shelf in a LGS over the weekend. It's out there again.

I never cared for Trail Boss myself, and I'm a dedicated cast bullet shooter. For "backyard plinking" loads in centerfire rifles, I use Bullseye/Clays/Red Dot with which I can get two or more times the number of shots (at the same velocity) per pound of powder versus using TrailBoss. Not a very good bang for the buck, IMO. It's main use to my thinking is in large capacity black powder pistol cartridges when building low pressure smokeless loads with a bulky case filling powder. If that is an important issue, which it is to some though I don't know why.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Under Bullets...

Been there and tried that. Total erratic debacle. I think they're too undersized. The 270 grain speer is champion for such work. When the boy gets older the speer at about 2000-2100 should kill deer just fine. In the meantime I keep meaning to get a NOE mold and try my hand at casting.

I'm using the Hornady Makarov .365 95gr bullets in 9,3X62, 9,3X72r, and 9,3X74R with Trail boss and get very good accuracy, not a debacle at all.

Trail Boss should be good fuel for those cast bullets, IMO.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
That's interesting. The only makarov bullets I've tried are cast. I'll likely just stick with the speers though as they penetrate well through trees. Sounds funny, but I use that bullet at 1200 fps for sooty grouse here in the spring. I carry the rifle with a magazine full of 286 gr noslers for bear protection and then when I find the bird I put the scope on and shoot him with a trailboss load. You can eat right up to the hole and shoot through an 8 inch branch if you need to. [img:left]http://[Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by pabucktail; 05/23/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One attraction of TB is the ease with which accurate low-power loads can be created for CF rifles using jacketed bullets. Charles Petty has done a couple articles on this with really excellent results.

I made up some .243 loads with 100 Sierra blems I bought from Graf's. It grouped 3 in about 1 1/2" at 100, first try, at an assumed velocity of about 1500-1600fps; a great practice load with no fiddling necessary. They land just a bit below full power loads.

If my .44mag loads group okay, I'll have a pleasant plinker load for my low wall at less than a quarter a pop, with no casting necessary, about the price of bulk 9mm.

Other powders may be a bit cheaper, but TB is useful in a bunch of stuff, requires no fillers, and is whoopsie proof. I've got a couple of small jugs, but am going to get a 5-pounder when I can find a good deal.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's interesting. The only makarov bullets I've tried are cast. I'll likely just stick with the speers though as they penetrate well through trees. Sounds funny, but I use that bullet at 1200 fps for sooty grouse here in the spring. I carry the rifle with a magazine full of 286 gr noslers for bear protection and then when I find the bird I put the scope on and shoot him with a trailboss load. You can eat right up to the hole and shoot through an 8 inch branch if you need to. [img:left]http://[Linked Image][/img]

Rates a Two Cool!

cool cool

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I have used it some in the '62 and the '57, that is the first bird I have seen shot with the 270 Speer.

Congratulations to the hunter!
Ted

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I noticed Trail Boss on the shelf in a LGS over the weekend. It's out there again.

I never cared for Trail Boss myself, and I'm a dedicated cast bullet shooter. For "backyard plinking" loads in centerfire rifles, I use Bullseye/Clays/Red Dot with which I can get two or more times the number of shots (at the same velocity) per pound of powder versus using TrailBoss. Not a very good bang for the buck, IMO. It's main use to my thinking is in large capacity black powder pistol cartridges when building low pressure smokeless loads with a bulky case filling powder. If that is an important issue, which it is to some though I don't know why.

The reason for Trail Boss is to eliminate double charging with fast shotgun powders.It has more volume with less weight so I doubt you are saving much.

Last edited by Huntz; 05/26/16.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Very cool picture, I need to try that with my Whelen and some Trail Boss. Kind of surprised you guys have a spring season.

Gerry.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
It's open until May 15th, which is about when the hooting tapers off anyway. It's some serious fun and perfect for kids. They have to hike and put the effort in, but then the birds are very cooperative and sit tight so there's no rush.

No spring season Gerry? 250gr Hornadys at 1200 would be poison!

The pic is from last year when he first realized he could use my rifle with the reduced loads. When I told him he couldn't shoot the bird with his .22 due to branches being in the way he casually said "Well, I can just use your rifle." I about gagged in my shock of realizing he was now big enough to pull it off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No spring season here, but it looks like a lot of fun. I love those nice big coastal blue's, my favourite grouse by far. In September when they have been gorging on blueberries and huckleberries they are fantastic smile Sounds like your son is growing up nicely and have excellent taste in cartridges I might add........

I have loaded up some 200 gr Hornady's with Trail Boss before and will have to see if I can get them down to around 1200 fps like yours. If not 250's like you suggest will work. We did some loads in my wife's 6.5x55 before when she was learning to shoot, I'll have to see if we can reduce it enough to get the same speed.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
One attraction of TB is the ease with which accurate low-power loads can be created for CF rifles using jacketed bullets. Charles Petty has done a couple articles on this with really excellent results.

I made up some .243 loads with 100 Sierra blems I bought from Graf's. It grouped 3 in about 1 1/2" at 100, first try, at an assumed velocity of about 1500-1600fps; a great practice load with no fiddling necessary. They land just a bit below full power loads.

If my .44mag loads group okay, I'll have a pleasant plinker load for my low wall at less than a quarter a pop, with no casting necessary, about the price of bulk 9mm.

Other powders may be a bit cheaper, but TB is useful in a bunch of stuff, requires no fillers, and is whoopsie proof. I've got a couple of small jugs, but am going to get a 5-pounder when I can find a good deal.

That's funny cuz I've never had it shoot well in a reduced rifle load. Had better luck with 4895 and 4198.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Terry Wieland just did an article where TB beat out his previous choice in some cartridges, but not others. Luck if the draw, I suppose.

I've been meaning to try it in some other rounds, but haven't so far. TB lets you get way lower than the 60% rule for 4895 I believe.

JB and some guy in the latest Hodgdon Annual made up .22 mag-level loads in the .223 with TB, with accuracy comparable to good .22 mag ammo, that is to say well under an inch at 50 yards.

Years ago I used SR4759 for some reduced loads, but recall the occasional hangfire. The .32/20-level load in my .308 was deadly on chucks and one fox, but the flat-nosed HP had a pretty loopy trajectory.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It is great for suppressed loads in a .308

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It is great for suppressed loads in a .308

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I use TB in 38 Special with 125 cast bullets when moving newer shooters from .22 RF to centerfire pistol. It makes a reasonably accurate load that the girls can play with and have fun.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bellydeep

That's funny cuz I've never had it shoot well in a reduced rifle load. Had better luck with 4895 and 4198.

Funny powder, we'd have to guess...

I've never had it shoot well......

180 degrees out, and off my results with TB for really ACCURATE sub sonic loads in my "standard rifle calibers".

I really DON't like working with it,....something "light" that behaves like little balls of styro-packing.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tested my .44mag TB loads yesterday in my Low Wall; .240gr Hornady swaged HP over 6.9gr (what my Little Dandy throws with the #23). Grouped well, and almost zero recoil. Unfortunately, it impacts about a foot and a half over the full-power loads.

I'm replacing the bead with a black blade from Skinner, so hopefully I can come up with some kind of add-on for target shooting with the powder puffs. The Williams WDOS fitted with an aperature works really well, but that round bead just gets lost to my old eyes.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I use it in my 45 Colt vaquero with 255 grain home cast with good results. The one that surprised me was when I loaded up some 45-70 rounds with 405 gr hard cast bullets and 12 grains of Trail Boss powder. I shot it out of my H&R Buffalo Classic, and at 50 yards, no empty 12 gauge hull was safe. The 32 inch barrel made the shot sound like "ppaff" rather than bang. My load source said velocity is 970 ft per sec. Fun stuff.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
These bunnies ( about about 40 others...) all got it with TB in a .223AI behind a 55 grain hornady bullet. 8.0 grains of Trail Boss. About 1950 FPS

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Also find TB useful for fire forming cases in the .223AI..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I find it useful for bribing acquaintances who aspire to reload empties.

Might have a future for whacking armadillos.

Every time I look at it I want coffee to go with the doughnuts.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you whack the bunnies while fire forming?

Montana must be awash in cottontails. I'm jealous. Here, except in my backyard, they're pretty scarce.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Did you whack the bunnies while fire forming?

Montana must be awash in cottontails. I'm jealous. Here, except in my backyard, they're pretty scarce.

No. Those were formed cases. And the bunny cycle last fall was at a high point the likes of which Ive never seen. Hoping it didn't crash this year.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cottontails were always targets of opportunity for us while pheasant hunting in PA, but I really used to look forward to hunting them with a rifle in the snow. I have yet to see one while hunting down here, even though I make a point to get out after it snows. I don't even see tracks or poop.

In my yard, on the other hand, they run around like they own the place. I've had to fence in the whole garden, even the tomato patch and my strawberry pyramid. The little buggers like to sample a bit of everything. My dog, who used to like to chase them, has apparently retired from that pursuit, or they've paid him off. They even eat the corn I put out for the doves, squirrels, and woodpeckers.

What action is that AI built on?

Last edited by Pappy348; 06/11/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle

What action is that AI built on?

That AI is on a Model Seven Predator, punched out to AI, duracoated and put in a B&C Alaskan stock, which felt too chubby so I rasped it down to Ti specs and gave it the old rattle can Rembrandt treatment.
It shoots great but the barrel has a lot of miles on it and I'll be trying to finish burning it this week on a PD shoot....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just closed a smokin' deal on a new .243 to replace the one I gave away. I still have about 350 of those Sierra blems and a bunch of brass, mostly new. Plinkin' time.

After sectioning an empty jacket that came with the blems and seeing how thick it gets towards the base, I might just have to use one to bag an candidate for the dink-a-thon. I bought a jug of Blantons to lubricate the entry process, but the stuff seems to evaporate right through the cork.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Happy Birthday Ted !!!!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

637 members (06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 67 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,244
Posts18,447,917
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.