Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFD
Got drawn for a Cow tag . I will be using a 270 Win. have been using Hornady 130gr SST. I know I can't use SST for Elk. Which would be best choice for cow elk. I would appreciate your experience with 270 Win for Elk.
Thank You

Just go buy the 130 gr. GMX in lieu of the SST and kill yourself an elk.

PASS IT ON!
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Aviator
150 partition will get it done all day !

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
150 NP will drop Caribou like chained-lightning!

L
LFD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
150 don't worry about it ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Federal sells a factory 150 Partition load that is quite good, but also quite expensive. Still an excellent load.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
IC B2

L
LFD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Federal seems to have some good choices

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 130 grn Remington Cor Lokt has killed a bunch.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lots of bullets will work, your SST might work fine but based on my experience with a 150 NBT blowing up on a bulls ribs I think you are on the right track going to a stout 130-150 grain bullet in your 270.

For me the Barnes TTSX is the best combination of toughness with great accuracy and performance above its weight on elk. I got lucky with my bull and found him after 500 yards through snow because the shrapnel in his lungs finally did him in. A similar angled shot on a bull with TTSX took out lungs, top of the heart and broke the off side shoulder before it exited. No tracking required.

Don't hesitate to get the bullet that shoots best in your rifle, placement trumps bullet construction every time.

Have dropped large cow elk where they stood with the Hornady Superperformance 140gr SST,one 125 yards, and complete pass through at 288 measured yards, broke ribs on both sides, significant internal damage. That is in my HVA 270. My Ruger ultralight uses only 150 gr. Nosler partition handloads for Dall sheep and one elk, never had any move more than 10 yards. Bullet placement far more important than type of bullet in my experience. That same Ruger dropped my biggest ever mule deer at 35 yards (he was occupied with a doe, actually felt slightly guilty about that wink with a 140 grain Accubond Nosler factory ammo through the neck and it barely expanded as it passed through. Did the job, but was greatly surprised at bullet performance. Really like Barnes TTSX above others as long as your rifle shoots them well. Try their 130gr factory ammo if you don't reload, or the Hornady GMX or interbond loads. 130 grain solid copper or copper-gilding bullets are equivalent in game performance to 150 gr traditional construction bullets.

Bullet selection is important, but probably not as much as advertising or campfire talk would lead you to believe. Good old 7mm 175gr hornady interlocks loaded to 2900fps in a 7 mag never failed me on moose or bear in Alaska. Ditto on 250 grain Speer or Hornady softpoints in my 35 Whelen or 358 Winchester. Had one from my Whelen break the front shoulder of a 350 lb black bear and recovered it in the rear hip on the other side after treaveling the full length of the bear, still weighed 182 grains. High velocity, especially at closer ranges, does demand more from bullet construction though. Not a good idea to try saving money on ammunition usually.

US Army (Retired)
Airborne All The Way!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Honest question:

Do guys use different bullets from their .270 based on the sex of the elk???

I don't but maybe I'm missing something.

(I also use the same arrow for bulls or cows for the same reasons).

IC B3

No, cow or bull depends n where I'm hunting (either sex or bull only) or whether I have drawn a cow tag or not. Bullet differences strictly which is most accurate in a particular rifle, least that's what determines such for me.

US Army (Retired)
Airborne All The Way!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LostArra
Honest question:

Do guys use different bullets from their .270 based on the sex of the elk???

I don't but maybe I'm missing something.

(I also use the same arrow for bulls or cows for the same reasons).

Technically, no.

But bulls usually offer fewer opportunities, which means I would think twice before carrying certain rifle/bullet combinations.

One of these days I'm going to poke a cow through the ribs with my 25-06/100gr Interlocks. Would it work on a bull too? Of course. Would I pick up that gun and head into the mountains if I wanted to come home with a rack? Probably not.

And for the record, to me, cows and raghorns are no different. I'd just as soon shoot a cow as some dinky 4 or 5 point bull with a rack that I'll never hang up on the wall. So when I say "bulls" I mean big 5pts+.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The heaviest grain bullets you can push. Not the hottest and fastest,you don't want it to pass thru.

By the way, my outfitter says that he only eats cow elk, says it's less gamey.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 05/29/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
The heaviest grain bullets you can push. Not the hottest and fastest,you don't want it to pass thru.

That's not true. I've had some old cows that were gamey and tough as a boot. I've shot young bulls that tasted great.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LFD -

the most important criteria for a bullet is to choose a load that shoots well in your gun.

In factory ammo I would look for loads using the Nosler AccuBond or Partition or the Barnes TTSX.

And I wouldn't worry about whether the bullet exits or not. I've had elk drop at the shot both ways, with exit and without.

If you want good tasting meat don't shoot the herd bull or the lead cow.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by LFD
Got drawn for a Cow tag . I will be using a 270 Win. have been using Hornady 130gr SST. I know I can't use SST for Elk. Which would be best choice for cow elk. I would appreciate your experience with 270 Win for Elk.
Thank You

The same load you would use for a bull tag--150gr Partition........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
L
LFD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Has anyone used the Federal Premium 270 130gr Bonded tip for Elk very little difference between the 130 vs 140.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Don't want a pass through?

Enlighten as to why....I'm dying to hear your best reasons

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Something about this whole post stinks.... I call bs...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As other have said any well constructed bullet will work.
My venture 270 shoots 130 ttsx sub moa all day long.
If it was me. it would be the partition or ttsx because things don't always go as planned and if you shoot the shoulder you'll want your bullet to stay together and hopefully get to the vitals.

Last edited by Dre; 06/05/16.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 160user, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,707
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.