Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
My PC is pretty old and decrepit and my tablet won't take SD chips so you'll have to see this..lol.
Here is a picture of a land in my moderately used Tikka 3006. Wipeout is getting all of the copper fouling out but there's a little bit of carbon here and there. My gunsmith says Sierra has a product that will get that stuff out but it probably isn't needed .....my bore looks pretty good.

[Linked Image]

HR IC

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Very good.

Thanks for the report!

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad to see prices have come down on borescopes. I've been wanting one but the umpteen hundred dollar price tag always scared me away.

Where did you get yours for $200?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Seems like a lot of the retailers are having a hard time keeping them on hand but they are popping up on eBay....
I kept loading up Max bids of $188 and after 2 or 3 tries I got one...plus $11 shipping.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very cool. I'd never be able to own one because it would severely mess with my OCD. I'd probably end up selling all of my rifles in search for one with the "perfect" bore... blush

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
You should see what the bore looks like on my Steyr mil Surplus rifle.
I think there's just four lands in there and they get wide and narrow here and there and they're all pitted like crazy.
I don't know how to describe what's in between them it looks like either moldy cheese or the surface of the Moon it's hard to guess which...lol.
Now i know why it shoots 4/5 inch groups at 100 yards and I should probably be thrilled that does that!

If Tubbs made his gritty bullets in .329 it would sure be a candidate for a dozen of them to polish things up..lol!

Last edited by kraky111; 05/21/16.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
bsa,

One thing you'll learn quickly with a scope is to ignore what the bore itself looks like, since some very fine-looking bores don't shoot well, and some that don't look very good shoot very well.

But a scope is very handy for seeing which cleaners work, and checking on throat erosion.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the review. I've been wondering about the Lyman unit. My bore scope only went down to .25 Cal. I needed something to do 20 and 22 cal. I picked up one of these NIB for $189.95 delivered.

http://testsite.uview.com/ProductDetail.php?PartNumber=580600

It's pretty good, but could be better. The lens isn't quite macro enough. I wouldn't pay full price for one, not for this application. Your Lyman has great resolution. Does that little monitor come with it?

I think you picked a winner!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Yes... the monitor comes with it ...there is no way to view through the optical rod.. without the monitor it would be useless.
The mirror and lens seem pretty nicely protected in the rod.
I guess the Monitor and electronics would be the weak link....
But so far everything feels pretty quality.
I was pretty skeptical before buying it but I had seen a quite a few other guys that had them on another forum and they were tickled pink..... so I thought it was worth the try.
So far I'm very pleased!

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Btw... one of the reasons I got this was I had seen some posts that using Wipeout accelerator and wipe out overnight could pitt things. I've done that a number of times to be above bore.... either I've been really lucky or it isn't as serious as people make it out to be.... then again I haven't checked all my rifles...lol!..

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kraky111
Btw... one of the reasons I got this was I had seen some posts that using Wipeout accelerator and wipe out overnight could pitt things. I've done that a number of times to be above bore.... either I've been really lucky or it isn't as serious as people make it out to be.... then again I haven't checked all my rifles...lol!..

MuleDeer (aka JB) can speak to this, but it's my impression that the pitting phenomenon happens when Wipe-out and accelerator are used together and left in the bore for extended periods, like over night.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
That's what I was doing..... here's a picture I just took of the inside of my 270 Marlin XL7. It's a pretty good shooter but look at the inside of that Barrel ouch. Up by the Chamber of things are pretty smooth but the further you come down the barrel the more it starts to look like a fireman's ladder with tooling marks..... and they are everywhere on the lands and between them. Got to give Wipeout credit for getting everything clean they must get embedded pretty good as that bullet goes down there...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kraky111; 05/21/16.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's what I was doing..... here's a picture I just took of the inside of my 270 Marlin XL7. It's a pretty good shooter but look at the inside of that Barrel ouch. Up by the Chamber of things are pretty smooth but the further you come down the barrel the more it starts to look like a fireman's ladder with tooling marks..... and they are everywhere on the lands and between them. Got to give Wipeout credit for getting everything clean they must get embedded pretty good as that bullet goes down there...

[Linked Image]

You will be hard pressed to find off the shelf rifles with a bore as nice as the Tikkas grin

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice!

I had no idea Lyman had come out with a less expensive bore scope. I'd love to have one, but have never been able to justify the expense. I guess I'd just rather have another rifle... laugh

But for $200...

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just don't let it scare you. Had an early No 1 rebored to 35W. The barrel steel in them was, well, interesting.

The Lyman scope look is scary. It looks like is has been scrubbed with 40 grit sandpaper, but it is still 3 shot 1 moa accurate, and after 20 rounds, the scope shows no copper. Go figure. My rearsenaled 1942 Mosin Nagant looks way better on the scope.

It is also very good at showing throat erosion, muzzle wear from improper cleaning and damaged gas ports.

Also for looking inside engines, at your back teeth and TSA is buying a slew for cavity searches.

MOSIN

http://s19.postimg.org/w3wl39cfn/PICT0002_1.jpg

RUGER

http://s19.postimg.org/nvq24iv5f/PICT0004.jpg

Last edited by 1000is; 05/22/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You should see what the bore looks like on my Steyr mil Surplus rifle.
I think there's just four lands in there and they get wide and narrow here and there and they're all pitted like crazy.
I don't know how to describe what's in between them it looks like either moldy cheese or the surface of the Moon it's hard to guess which...lol.
Now i know why it shoots 4/5 inch groups at 100 yards and I should probably be thrilled that does that!

If Tubbs made his gritty bullets in .329 it would sure be a candidate for a dozen of them to polish things up..lol!

Nothing wrong with an .8" group. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I don't have to wait anymore for folks to do trial runs...

Looks like I'll have to break down and get one.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by kingston

MuleDeer (aka JB) can speak to this, but it's my impression that the pitting phenomenon happens when Wipe-out and accelerator are used together and left in the bore for extended periods, like over night.

I have never used the accelerator, but have used wipeout for years, often overnight with 0 problems.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
126 members (32_20fan, 338reddog, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,893
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.