Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
What brand, and what are your thoughts in comparison to a hooded mummy?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used a couple of brands , enlightened equip. , jacks are better , Kifaru.
I don't like the air leaks and by the time you use straps to keep the quilt close to the body, well I would prefer just unzipping my WM bag and using that as a quilt.
Lots of people like them but I move around too much for them to be practical.
I kept the jacks are better for an under quilt with my hammock.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I haven't used one. I suspect air leaks could be reduced by using a wide version with an air dam.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have been using the EE Revo 10deg for the last couple years and really like it. I use an Exped Downmat 7 under it and have been toasty into the teens. The straps really work to tuck the quilt in around you, and the foot box can be zipped up and drawn closed for a pretty draft free system.

The biggest advantage IMO is in warmer weather when it is nice to have blanket instead of a bag. For cold weather camping you need to have your head/face covering system dialed.

I am a warm sleeper and do not expect to go back to a mummy anytime soon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got 2 enlightened equipment quilts. A 30 degree synthetic prodigy and a 10 degree down enigma with sewn footbox. I'll never go back to a bag. Ran both down to the stated temp ranges and both have been spot on for me. I like a wide version and have never suffered uncomfortable drafts.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got the same 30 degree EE and the first night was 27 degrees and I was plenty warm on a BA Air Core. I toss and turn and for me I don't end up feeling like a twisted up tootsie roll. You do need something for your head and a merino beanie worked well. Never had any problems with draft/air. Packs to the size of a football and weighs 1.6#. Very pleased with it.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Brad,

Over 100 nights in quilts.
Drafts can be a big problem if the quilt isn't wide enough, especially if you are a tosser and turner like me.
I had a couple Go-Lites that I tried to love because of the light weight and lack of bulk, but unless I was pretty motionless there were lots of drafts,
had a custom quilt that was better and an early EE that was pretty good.
I currently have two SD quilts. A 30 degree down and 45 degree synthetic. I really like them. Just spent the weekend in Yellowstone. Friday night was a total blizzard and last night dropped down to 16 F. I used the two quilts together and slept like a baby.
I like quilts with a sewn footbox. The ease of ventilation is huge to me for comfort and with paired with a large Neo Air, I haven't had any issues
I am about to order an EE 0F quilt.
Just need to decide on what fill down. The cost is definitely of diminishing returns. Probably going to get the Egnima 0F in 20D fabric with 800 DownTek for $290 and 28.9 ounces for a long wide.
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/enigma/

Probably going to order the Hoodlum Hood as well:
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/hoodlum/

About to sell off my remaining sleeping bags and go quilts only.

Ed T

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Started using a EE 20 degree Revelation last year. LOVE IT. I got the long wide size as I'm 6'4". I hate mummy bags. I move too much when I sleep and can't stand the constricted feeling of a mummy bag. A good pad is key, I use a thermo rest xTherm and love it. I'd much rather wear a beanie than have a hooded mummy bag. I may go to a 10 degree EE quilt with the sewn footbed for really cold weather.

Oh ya they are light as hell too!

Last edited by STS45; 05/01/16.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Brad,

Over 100 nights in quilts.
Drafts can be a big problem if the quilt isn't wide enough, especially if you are a tosser and turner like me.
I had a couple Go-Lites that I tried to love because of the light weight and lack of bulk, but unless I was pretty motionless there were lots of drafts,
had a custom quilt that was better and an early EE that was pretty good.
I currently have two SD quilts. A 30 degree down and 45 degree synthetic. I really like them. Just spent the weekend in Yellowstone. Friday night was a total blizzard and last night dropped down to 16 F. I used the two quilts together and slept like a baby.
I like quilts with a sewn footbox. The ease of ventilation is huge to me for comfort and with paired with a large Neo Air, I haven't had any issues
I am about to order an EE 0F quilt.
Just need to decide on what fill down. The cost is definitely of diminishing returns. Probably going to get the Egnima 0F in 20D fabric with 800 DownTek for $290 and 28.9 ounces for a long wide.
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/enigma/

Probably going to order the Hoodlum Hood as well:
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/hoodlum/

About to sell off my remaining sleeping bags and go quilts only.

That setup you are about to order Ed is what I'll be running this fall.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I used the two quilts together and slept like a baby.
Having been the father of some babies, I feel sorry for you for getting such a poor night's sleep. grin

― George Orwell

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Pads are an important consideration with quilts. For instance, the EE are mostly designed for secure connection with thicker inflatables that have some structure . In my use, they don't work as well for CCF or pad setups with less structure than an inflatable (draftier). The downside is, when using an inflatable, with a quilt that is not secured to the pad they can be more drafty than on ground sleeping (air getting in underneath on movement). Pad size factors in as well. For instance drafts with quilts not secured to pads do not seem to be a big issue on big pads (my 25 inch EXPED) , but on a more narrow pad, drafts can come in from underneath more easily. The Feathered Friends flicker is sort of a nice combo , but its a little small if used like a quilt, and can be a little tight for me when used as a bag. However, it zips up secure and has a nice draft collar. I've used dual quilts on a big pad down to 0 with relative comfort, I've also gotten drafty and chilly at 35 or so depending on quilt / pad size etc.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Gents, thanks for the food for thought.

Reading between the lines, the quilt is seemingly less about weight savings and more about comfort for those that don't like mummy bags?

It seems, by the time you add a pad warm enough to cover anticipated temps comfortably, you're right back where you started weight-wise with a mummy and lighter pad.

Decisions...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Weight is what drove me to a quilt to start. I do some long distance hiking. My handle is a result of a attempt on the AT that ended in WV, but I have done many sections farther north plus the NLP LT, JMT etc. I have used quilts almost exclusively from 1998 in temps from summer to around 0F.

For most hunting applications weight isn't so important, a few oz or even pounds aren't to big a deal if you walking a half dozen miles to a spike camp, but weights a big deal if your going to carry it day after day for 200+ miles.

Once I started to use a quilt I found that down to 25-30F quilts were more comfortable than a mummy. Even more than one might think, because lightweight mummies tend to be cut pretty thin.

All my quilts are homemade. I have two synthetics, one made from 2.5 oz climashield and one from 5oz climashield and the last, a down quilt I made with 850 down for cold weather use.

I am side sleeper and maybe half of my nights are spent in leanto's and the hard floor means I shift around a bit. I have found that the size of the quilt both in length and width is key to keeping drafts at bay, in fact I would rather be under insulated with plenty of size than the other way around. Three season hiking I typically carry a LW capilene top, 100 wt fleece and thin primaloft pullover. I can layer up for warmth if needed. I am not one of those folks who can lay still like a mummy so I need enough width I can roll around without drafts.

If you have a a sewing machine I would suggest making test quilt, for three season use I would start with 5oz climashield and a LW shell. Make it the maximum size you think you would use. After some use, if you decide a smaller size is best you can trim is down and re-hem the edge. The materials aren't that expensive and you can knock one out in an hour or two. Once you have a feeling what works for you you can knock out a quilt to your specs or buy a commercial unit. Personally I wouldn't buy a synthetic quilt, they are just so easy to make, but a down quilt is a PITA to make.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Gents, thanks for the food for thought.

Reading between the lines, the quilt is seemingly less about weight savings and more about comfort for those that don't like mummy bags?

It seems, by the time you add a pad warm enough to cover anticipated temps comfortably, you're right back where you started weight-wise with a mummy and lighter pad.

Decisions...

That's the primary logic behind a quilt- you'd use the same pad whether you use a quilt or bag, since the part of the bag under you is being compressed and not offering much in the way of insulating properties at all, so why not get rid of it and save some weight. Lots of quilt users also use a Neoair pad. Which pad do you use now?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some quilts use an air dam to prevent drafts. It's nothing more than strips of thin nylon, maybe 6 or 8" wide, sewn down both sides. It hangs down to the ground to plug air holes under the insulated parts of sides. It adds almost no weight or bulk. I can see it helping a lot to prevent cold weather drafts.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carried the same pad and a western mountaineering semi-rectangular bag before going quilt. I lost about a pound off my gear and added significantly in comfort.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For warm weather I use an Arrowhead Equipment Owyhee synthetic, and cold weather I use an Underground Quilts down Flight Jacket

No Farmers---No Food
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love my EE quilt. I switched to a quilt because I move around when I sleep. Usually sleep on my stomach or side and in a mummy bag I end up all twisted.

I have never had an issue with drafts and my EE. It was sized perfect for me and the strap system works really well. I also use my same Exped mat as I did with my mummy bag.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
For the record I own Loco Libre Gear (www.locolibregear.com), and am a quilt maker. I really curious how many folks here have tried hammock hanging, which is the best way to use a quilt IMO. I bought a hammock years ago to prove they weren't all that and haven't gone back to the ground since.

That being said, the benefits of a quilt include weight savings and customization. If you will be sleeping on the ground, then extra width is helpful, if not essential. A wide width quilt will still be narrower and lighter than a comparable sleeping bag because you eliminate the zipper and extra fabric and insulation that would normally be compressed under you. Quilts are less restrictive, and don't lay on you like a sleeping bag, but drape over you like your sheets and bed quilt at home,which is much more comfortable. With a quilt you can customize it to your specs, not some manufacturing giants idea of what your sleeping gear should be. If you want a customlength, width or color scheme, no problem.On top of that most quilts are no more expensive,and at times cheaper that some of the high end sleeping bags out there. On top of that your supporting a good old american small business man, not some multinational corporation making and importing your gear from china.

Here's one I did for a Navy vet:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by George_Carr; 06/05/16.

“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.” -Francis Chan

Down Quilts : www.locolibregear.com/gear.html
Blog : www.walkingwiththeson.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
George, thanks for the link. When you get synthetics going I'm interested.

FWIW I ALWAYS sleep in mummy bags with the open zipper below me, using the bag as a quilt. That puts the thickest fill in the wrong place on some bags but I don't ever recall zipping up a mummy totally, even in -40.

I made my first quilt in 1978 with hollofil insulation. Am in the market for a new bag and maybe finally will buy a pro-designed quilt. Buying a mummy to use like a quilt has been easier than my amateur sewing projects.

I suspect that some people would hate sleeping under a quilt. I am the opposite and don't like the confinement of sleeping bags.

My apology for not adding anything to the discussion about selecting a brand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1minute, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,744
Posts18,457,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.