Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have an older Winchester XTR festherweight in .270 that's a push feed and have thought about moving it but given the market for them I think it's worth more to keep it. I've heard good things about them but wanted to seek opinions of the experts here...

Thanks guys

Drummond

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great rifles. I have one in .280 and a Winlite .270. Both are accurate and fairly light at around 6.5 lbs empty. I would like to drop the .280 in one of the sub 16 oz. MPI stocks and make it a true featherweight.

Who is John Galt?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I have an older Winchester XTR festherweight in .270 that's a push feed and have thought about moving it but given the market for them I think it's worth more to keep it. I've heard good things about them but wanted to seek opinions of the experts here...

Thanks guys

Drummond

Drummond, what makes the XTR featherweights worth money is keeping them in nice original condition. I bought one for $600.00 a couple years ago, but it was a first year post 64 WRA featherweight and NIB, so that made it desirable. Once you start messing with them, the value slips away. For a pushfeed rifle, they are nice, but not any different than any other pushfeed Winchester model 70 if you change the stock, barrel or finish.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys! I've been told that my XTR featherweight was only worth $500-$550 or so and for that I'll keep it. I'll get some pictures up later but I thought about dropping it in another stock and putting the original in the safe and have a lightweight 270 to shoot

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here's a few pictures...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd leave it as is, or sell it...You also won't hurt the value if you drop it in another stock and hang on to the original. Nice looking rifle. Your rifle was made in '82, after USRAC took over WRA.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It would be considered a transition I bet it has a WRA recoil pad. The cut off for the last made WRA model 70's 1525323. Your rifle is one of the early USRACo made model 70's. As my bud BSA said keep it as is.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, mount a Leupold 3.5-10 and hunt it. I'd try to find a beat up classic to build on. That's a dang good .270 right there.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have to be honest. If there was ever such a thing as a sexy rifle, it's the early XTR featherweights and the older Remington BDL mountain rifles. To each his own though... laugh

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They are very accurate as well stuff that case full of h4831 I think Lawrence likes to use imr 4350 anyhow stuff a 140gr or 150 in the case and you are ready fro deer,elk and moose 😁

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
They are very accurate as well stuff that case full of h4831 I think Lawrence likes to use imr 4350 anyhow stuff a 140gr or 150 in the case and you are ready fro deer,elk and moose 😁

I use what I can find.... laugh. At one time, that's all that was available locally. Thank god, I've been seeing some H4350 and H4831 around here. I thought I was going to have to try H335 in all of my rifles... eek I'd actually like to try some H4350 or RL26 in my 270 with some good 150gr. Nosler partitions..

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What changes are you thinking about?

Rebarrel? Restock? Both rebarrel and restock?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I bought a Winchester Mod. 70 XTR Featherweight stock - Scannable design from big whoop on here this year and it was made for the rifle. Thought about dropping it in that. Pics to follow...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
When I bought it bigwhoop mentioned these were hard to find...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by huntsonora; 05/22/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A few months ago, CDNN was selling them for around $60. While it has an attractive schnable, it is, to me, just another injection molded stock, no more and no less.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice looking Featherweight there, Drummond ! That's a keeper!

I've got one just like yours in 7x57. Mine is extremly accurate and a joy to lug around in the pasture. It would be the last of all my hunting rifles that I would ever sell. Mine has an old model Leupold VX-III 2.5 X 8 mounted on it.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If it was mine and shot well I'd look into a synthetic that dropped some weight. IIRC most of the wood schnabel fwt stocks I have weighed come in at 29-30 ounces so dropping 6-7 ounces is a reasonable goal. Only you can decide if the results would be worth the cost. For myself, I like the fwt stocks. They fit me well and I like the looks!
My current favorite rifle is a pushfeed fwt Winlite (mcmillan fwt stock) in 270. It suits me very well and is a good shooter.
Had a buddy say that it is the rifle the 700 mtn rifle should have been!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I have to be honest. If there was ever such a thing as a sexy rifle, it's the early XTR featherweights and the older Remington BDL mountain rifles. To each his own though... laugh

I'd back that up. I really dig my sons XTR 7x57. Great shooter.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I'd back that up. I really dig my sons XTR 7x57. Great
shooter.

Two of some of the best all around standard production hunting rifles put out in the '80s and '90s.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by patbrennan
If it was mine and shot well I'd look into a synthetic that dropped some weight. IIRC most of the wood schnabel fwt stocks I have weighed come in at 29-30 ounces so dropping 6-7 ounces is a reasonable goal.

My wood stock weighs less than my Winlite. The wood weighs 26 oz, I think the Winlite goes around 29 oz. They are about equal when you add the trigger guard to the Winlite and the bottom metal on the wood stock. I bought a set of PTG aluminum metal and plan to get the ultra light MPI stock- should drop almost a pound from the finished weight.

Who is John Galt?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
A few months ago, CDNN was selling them for around $60. While it has an attractive schnable, it is, to me, just another injection molded stock, no more and no less.

Yep, just a Tupperware stock, but if he likes it I see no harm in using it. It can be glass bedded and hunted hard. That way he can keep the original wood stock in good condition.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think I'm going to sell the Tupperware stock and just keep it as is. The value isn't there to justify selling the rifle and there's some sentimental value to it

Thanks guys!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Damn the addiction! I just bought this to drop into the black stock...

Winchester M70 XTR barrel action
Mag-Na-Ported
2 piece bottom
little rough (see pictures)
Wear on bolt knob and end of barrel (see pictures)
Very nice trigger
Will leave the Talley rings on the action.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Serial # G17986XX

[Linked Image]

I'll Cerakote it and it'll be a rifle to leave at the ranch but I'll have less than $400 invested so screw it

Last edited by huntsonora; 05/24/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn the addiction! I just bought this to drop into the black stock...

Winchester M70 XTR barrel action
Mag-Na-Ported
2 piece bottom
little rough (see pictures)
Wear on bolt knob and end of barrel (see pictures)
Very nice trigger
Will leave the Talley rings on the action.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Serial # G17986XX

[Linked Image]

I'll Cerakote it and it'll be a rifle to leave at the ranch but I'll have less than $400 invested so screw it

Great idea buddy.

BSA MAGA
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Looks like ya got TWO nice hunting rifles there; I like yer style!

These are the finest PF rifles out there. Very very nice triggers. Great weight. Accurate.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Thanks guys

Drummond
I've built custom rifles on those XTRs many times.. Excellent examples, overall..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
two of the most accurate rifles i ever had were the push feed XTR's. one i swore i'd never part with but ended up needing a propane refrigerator and my rifle went down the road.
as previously posted the xtr's are the sexiest models
slim, trim, and full of fire

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They have a good extractor even better they have a 3 position safety good serviceable trigger. Are butter smooooth ...and yes I have built several over the years for people and all shot great...resale value won't be as good mainly because of the mystique of the pre64...(oh it's just a push feed)...
Build away you will be pleased...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 28 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,368
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.