Print Thread
Hop To
B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have a 1953 Bear Tigercat recurve #53 that's been hunted and has some version of windows sights on it. I've never shot it, got it from my father who may have gotten it for himself at some point but I have his other Bear recurve that he hunted with.

Anyway it's in relatively good shape but collecting dust. Should I bother trying to sell it, or what?

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pics will determine a lot.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Nate,

Most vintage Fred Bear bows have "some" value, the collectors market for older recurves is growing fairly steady IMHO. I would suspect you would get something out of it on EBay.

That said, it looks like the front face was drilled for the sight, which probably doesn't help. It looks like the riser is showing some dings in the finish around the grip area. It's not mint, but it's probably a shooter, and that has some interest to a buyer that might actually use it.

It wouldn't cost you much to run an auction for a week and see what the interest is. I would estimate it would sell between $50 to $100 as is, but that is a rookie opinion, not an expert.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's a newer version without the D&T job that sold for around $170 here earlier this year.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/11096052

Overall, the bow looks to be in pretty good shape, except for that sight assembly.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am amazed at some of the prices certain old archery gear brings. I have a Bear Super Kodiak in good condition in the loading room and never think much about it, but today I looked it up and it sells for $529.bucks!!! See it here -->> http://www.eaglearchery.com/Bear-Super-Kodiak/

But that one above from Eagle Archery is a modern copy and not made exactly like the original from Bear.

So Big Nate, your old bow may be worth even more.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I used a Hoyt Pro rest instead of the original Bear rug type. That prevented the riser from being worn with feathers or vanes. I think I bought this new about 1971 or 72 and paid about a hundred bucks for it even back then.

Last edited by BobWills; 05/10/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 4ager
Here's a newer version without the D&T job that sold for around $170 here earlier this year.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/11096052

Overall, the bow looks to be in pretty good shape, except for that sight assembly.

There is a Bearcat on Ebay with bids at $75 now, and looks to have a similar set of holes for a sight in the riser.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the value will be determined on how bad someone wants it.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
That's a really nice bow Bob.

I may do the eBay thing with it. Someone should be enjoying it, rather than just collecting dust.

Samuel Colt.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yeah. You are probably right Nate, but no one can ever appreciate all the places that old bow and I have been and all the people we have been there with, so we just hang out together. It's like an old bird dog and I can't let it go. It'll be over there standing in the corner when I die.

Last edited by BobWills; 05/11/16.

IC B3

B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
laugh I completely get it.

I have a few things I'm fond of but rarely use. And like you they'll stay here.

I think I'm going to see if I can get a fair price for the Tigercat, if not I'll give it to a young kid I know that may appreciate it.

Samuel Colt.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Nate have you read this book? If you like old archery things, you will enjoy this book because it was written when bow hunting was really getting going as a commercially viable sport. It was written by a man who most people have never heard of, but he has been to the mountain and wrote about it. All the big names in archery at the time came by his office at times and hunted at his camp.

[Linked Image]

This is a photo of the inside cover. I hope you can read it. He made the first thumb release, but only used it himself. Ellis turned his 1280 acre high fence archery only hunting camp into a special place for disabled bow hunters. I helped him do that and I wish you could have seen how those guys in wheel chairs were able to hunt there. They did good!!!

Last edited by BobWills; 05/12/16.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big Nate I collect bear archery. You need any leupold scopes? I am on the road right now. Pm me and we could barter perhaps.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
FWIW shipping recurves is a bit of a hassle can be a little costly. Plus Ebay nails you for 10% of the total cost.

Lots of bows posted there, prices tend to be on the higher side.

Manufacturer, model, condition, poundage.........all factor in.

Drilling an old bow for a sight or quiver kills collector value. But there's nothing wrong with a "shooter". IMHO quite a few folks like a pretty one for the wall or target range, a more used one for hunting.

White glass on the OP's..... can fill the holes and try to match it.......the aging/yellowing. Full strip and redo, with white could hide the sight holes, be easier. Refinish jobs by good guys, proly cost as much or more than many bows are worth.

Great idea for somebody trying to save a rig of sentimental value. Dunno if they try to color match hole filling, or just plug and go.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/15/16.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I found a Blackwidow metal riser that's been stripped. Factory quiver holes. If I buy it Ill fill the holes w epoxy and bumper paint it. They didn't do the spiderweb finish til later, the earlier ones all semi gloss. I'd be cool with something between the two.

And I'd shoot the p*ss out of it.

Alas, I am receiving one of my old bows today, and I gotta see if I want to refinish it, or move it for the old BW.

I'd like a new style Kodiak Magnum, so I could run FF, but if an old two town brown one comes along at a reasonable price......

I've had 3 Grizzlies and they were all noisy (58 and 56" models). String silencer and tune..........nothing got them where I wanted. Figured out it was limb resonance. The Limbs magic "mushrooms" or Bowtech/Pse style limb bands...........did the trick.

Looked funky IMHO.

B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Angus I sent you a PM.

I shot this one a little. It is pretty quiet with a bare string, very smooth. Someone with a little knowledge could restore this one very easily.

Samuel Colt.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If I remember correctly, till about 1970,the Tigercat had the year of manufacturer in the first digit of the serial number, above the bow weight and length. Most of the 62" Tigercats were made in the 60s,switching to a 58" bow length in the early to mid 70s.
Should put your bow as a 1966, the 1953 being the year of patent, a fiberglass lamination process patent, again, IIRC..

Good bows, I like the grip on them. Rug rest or a feather rest, new side plate, I,d put a new flemish twist string on it if it were me,tips are NOT fast flight compatible.
If your draw length is right around 28-29", 500 or 400 spine gold tips depending on the weight up front should have you in the ballpark..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
300 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.