Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Hello all.

About 2 years ago, I bought my first and only savage 99. An F model takedown in 300 savage. It's actually marked 1899 but being from 1923 I'm told its a 99, not an 1899.

Anyway, I've shot it only once with old ammo from the 50's and honestly was not overly impressed. It didn't shoot bad, just that I expected better. It was then cleaned and put away and not shot since. Currently, I'm lusting after something else and have decided this is the only gun I own that I'm willing to part with. Crazy to me because I own every single gun I've ever had except a couple that were stolen years ago. The two guns I'm looking to buy or trade for are a Mossberg 46 and a near mint 1967 H&R 999 Sportsman revolver. Total asking price for the two is $475 and I feel the 99 is worth more than that especially with the tang sight but suspect in a trade situation a dealer will not want to make up the difference.

So, like many others, I'm looking for advice on what it's worth. It has a vintage Lyman tang sight that is fully functional and a #6 Lyman rear sight that is NOT fully functional. It is missing one leaf and the leaf that it still has does not lock upright. Stock, metal, bore etc are all in good solid condition. I'll try to get some pictures up here in just a bit but looking for a ballpark figure.

Oh, one other factor, it is a takedown but I have not had it apart. Tried once but couldn't get it to turn, didn't want to force it so just quit trying.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
First pic, should be able to see the rest in photobucket but I'll probably put more here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Don't know if you all will be able to see all my other pics once you click on s photo or not but if you can, be sure to scroll to the right, not the left. To the left are pics of another 99 that I almost bought but didn't. Also, I forgot until I just now saw the pics but looks like there is a chip missing from the toe of the stock.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Pm sent.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I would think you would get several offers on that one. I have an F in 303 and love it, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not that it matters to me but just curious:

You shot a 95 year old gun with open sights and 60 year old ammo and weren't impressed.

OK:

Just wondering what you were expecting?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Different strokes I guess. It's s slick gun and I like that you can shoot pointy bullets but I don't know. Didn't do it for me. Sort of like the blonde-brunette-redhead thing. A simple matter of preference I suppose.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DaveBulla
Different strokes I guess. It's s slick gun and I like that you can shoot pointy bullets but I don't know. Didn't do it for me. Sort of like the blonde-brunette-redhead thing. A simple matter of preference I suppose.

Ok: Works for me grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Mine's a dark haired beauty, just the way I like her.

LOL
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
OK. Got a couple pm's from interested people but not a single number. That's mainly what I'm interested in at this point.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'd like to start the bidding at $100.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe yer fishin' in the wrong pond...

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Add-on goodies such as tang sights don't seem to drive gun prices up as a potential buyer could always say keep the sight i don't need it. I can't believe how much H&R 999s go for these day. H&R/HRA made some good Garands and M14s, but their comercial offerings never seemed to be "top shelf" items. And that's not to say that there was anything wrong with their firearms as I'm sure that they all "delivered the goods"

Last edited by S99VG; 05/22/16.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Never mind guys. All I really wanted was an appraisal. Guess I'll go ask somewhere else. Thanks anyway.

Last edited by DaveBulla; 05/22/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never mind guys. All I really wanted was an appraisal. Guess I'll go ask somewhere else. Thanks anyway.

In the condition that gun is in I thing absolutely top dollar is $550-600.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Appraisals cost money and require an in person visit.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Appraisals cost money and require an in person visit.

Appraisals too often start fights on here, so lots of folks are reluctant to go there.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Appraisals too often start fights on here, so lots of folks are reluctant to go there.

Life goes on.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hello. These are my favorite 99s. I would like to make a purchase. Pm sent. Thanks John.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
673 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 3,196 guests, and 1,460 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.