Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#11201454 05/22/16
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Hey folks. I posted a question regarding barrel contours,and Pac Nor came to the surface. Well liked and a good following here on the "Fire". How about some pics of their handy work. Rifles,groups,you know the drill. Thanks!

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
3-shot group, 358 win, 100 yards. Pac-nor 22" bbl
[Linked Image]

Interarms long action, BC Stock, Pac-nor 22"

[Linked Image]

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PacNor installed the barrel, fluted the bolt and bead blasted. Fast turn around time.
7-08 Rem Mountain Rifle Contour. Very accurate and not picky about loads.
Nosler 140 BT Load
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Pac-Nor is my go-to manufacturer for Savage Precision Target Action and Remington 700 prefit barrels using a barrel nut. I do have a Remington 40X they barreled for me in .22-250 Remington using a standard install.

Below is a 10 shot, 100 yard group, with a 50 grain Berger .204 bullet (discontinued) in a Pac-Nor 1:8.5" twist 24" varmint contour barrel on a Savage action:

[Linked Image]

Below a 10 shot, 100 yard group, from a Savage .223 Remington with a Pac-Nor polygonal rifled 1:9" twist 24" varmint contour barrel. 40 Grain Nosler BT Lead Free bullet. I really like the polygonal rifling, easy to clean and accurate:

[Linked Image]

The aforementioned Remington 40X in 22-250 Remington produced this 10 shot group at 100 yards, using the 36 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade. The flier was a hiccup on the Jewel trigger.

[Linked Image]

Below: Same Remington 40X as above but with a 50 grain Barnes varmint Grenade. I selected a 1:10" twist recommended by Barnes as the minimum twist rate for this bullet, later I discovered that a 1:9" twist is more accurate.

[Linked Image]

Below: A Remington 700 with a Pac-Nor 24" 1:10" twist polygonal rifled varmint contour barrel in .308 Winchester and a Vais muzzle brake. This barrel uses the Rem-Nut and I installed it myself, actually I cobbled the whole mess together.

[Linked Image]

10 Shot, 100 yard group from above rifle, using a 150 grain Barnes MPG bullet (similar to a large Varmint Grenade) I jerked the trigger a couple of times, but you get the idea.

[Linked Image]

Hope that helps demonstrate what can be expected with Pac-Nor barrels, at least with varmint contours.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It always amazed me how people could give Pac Nor $650 for a barrel and installation when Dave at IT&D will barrel w/Douglas barrel and the complete job for barrel and install is only $300. To each his own I guess. powdr

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let's see pics of your ITD's then powdr.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Couldn't find any paper so I PacNor'd a dink...

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by powdr
It always amazed me how people could give Pac Nor $650 for a barrel and installation when Dave at IT&D will barrel w/Douglas barrel and the complete job for barrel and install is only $300. To each his own I guess. powdr

But then you have the only barrel brand I've had horrible luck with 3 times in a row... Douglas....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

no pics/targets at the moment.......

have used Pac-Nor for 15+ yrs....Savage pre fits.....

20 cals up to 358 win........

never a bad one....they build 'em just how you order them......

I do miss Penny though...... cry

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This is the only Pac Nor I have. It's on a Sako AII action.. Was already installed when I got the rifle.

[Linked Image]o

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Hey gunnut308. What did you whack that dink with?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

These are Pac-Nor victims grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I have one Pac Nor on my .22-250 AI.. A great shooter.. I would buy another in a heart beat..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody shot Pac-nor's polygonal rifling lately? I've got 3 in the starting blocks waiting for my lazy azz to send them off to the smith. Just thought I'd try them.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Otter.... I used this .308 win that "Redneck" on here barreled for me.

[Linked Image]

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
That's pretty sweet.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Anybody shot Pac-nor's polygonal rifling lately? I've got 3 in the starting blocks waiting for my lazy azz to send them off to the smith. Just thought I'd try them.

Yep, and it shot great. Very accurate rifle, but their version of "polygonal" is not really true polygonal...unless they sent me the wrong barrel. Best way to describe it is 6 groove ramped rifling. Kind of 5R but with an extra land. The lands in the barrel I have are definitely flat on the top of the land. True polygonal rifling has no corners or flats...everything is supposed to be curved. At least it is in every polygonal rifled barrel I have seen, with one exception..Black Hole Weaponry. It is strange, but then it works great too!!
This barrel shot good right out of the gate, no to very little break in.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by msinc

Yep, and it shot great. Very accurate rifle, but their version of "polygonal" is not really true polygonal...unless they sent me the wrong barrel. Best way to describe it is 6 groove ramped rifling. Kind of 5R but with an extra land. The lands in the barrel I have are definitely flat on the top of the land. True polygonal rifling has no corners or flats...everything is supposed to be curved.

That's contrary to the definition of polygon.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by mathman

Yep, and it shot great. Very accurate rifle, but their version of "polygonal" is not really true polygonal...unless they sent me the wrong barrel. Best way to describe it is 6 groove ramped rifling. Kind of 5R but with an extra land. The lands in the barrel I have are definitely flat on the top of the land. True polygonal rifling has no corners or flats...everything is supposed to be curved.

That's contrary to the definition of polygon.

Maybe so, but then so are a whole lot of barrels out there!!! What does the definition of polygonal rifling say???? My point being, why don't they just call it what it is??? 6R

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Describing polygonal rifling in such a way that it isn't actually polygonal is like describing this as a red car:

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Describing polygonal rifling in such a way that it isn't actually polygonal is like describing this as a red car:

[Linked Image]

Well....you'll just have to find a way to get over it...or not. You could also cry to Glock, Steyr, Kahr and all the other polygonal barrels out there with no corners or flats. I doubt they will care any more than I do.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's all good. I enjoy driving my Chevy Mustang. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had Pac Nor rebarrel a Kimber 7mm-08 Montana. Factory dupe length and contour, still in 7mm-08, but 1 in 9" polygonal rifling. Not cheap but they did a wonderful job, and now it is a very accurate, very unfussy rifle. I also appreciate how neatly they mark the chambering on their barrels. To me that's an obvious sign of quality work.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Only problem with Pac Nor is how long you have to wait to get one. I can get barrels elsewhere in 1-3 weeks and don't see the point in waiting. Unless you are shooting competitive benchrest, pretty much all the mainstream barrel makers will supply you a barrel of better accuracy than most sporter rifles will shoot anyway.

Never had a bad Pac Nor- not dissing them, just referencing how long the wait is.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I also appreciate how neatly they mark the chambering on their barrels. To me that's an obvious sign of quality work.

Ha! I like to think I was responsible for that. About 10 years ago I raised hell on these forums about getting my pac-nor barreled 257 roberts back with the chambering marked with a stamp, a stamp that wasn't even aligned correctly. It looked like chit to put it mildly. I went on for a month or so about that, it irked me to spend $500 (at the time) and get back a barrel that looked like it'd been stamped by a third grader. A few months later Pac-Nor started engraving the chambering.

So I'm taking credit for them fixing that, whether or not it's actually true.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
took about 4 months to get mine done, a turnkey job. Lots of smiths refuse to work on Montanas. It was also a nonstandard barrel, matching the factory length & contour.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 05/23/16.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
took about 4 months to get mine done, a turnkey job. Lots of smiths refuse to work on Montanas. It was also a nonstandard barrel, matching the factory length & contour.

My experience also. I called every barrel company I could find trying to get one that would match the extremely light contour of the six lug Weatherby. Not only would they match it they would make it 26" instead of 24". Below is a photo of three three shot groups at 100 yards with my .257SLR. One can see the 1" grid printed on the other side of the paper.

Edited to add: They also fluted the barrel.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Ringman; 05/24/16.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've read an article about PacNor using a Sunnen honing machine to eliminate the post drilling/reaming, pre-rifling lapping operation. Those who do the lapping after rifling say the feel of the honed then rifled bores is more consistent.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Only problem with Pac Nor is how long you have to wait to get one. I can get barrels elsewhere in 1-3 weeks and don't see the point in waiting.

True, but then you need to send it to a gunsmith and wait on the gunsmith, and with lots of them you're better off having it done turnkey.

They cerakote now too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I believe Dennis fits and chambers his own barrels.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not certain what all pixie dust Pac-nor uses, I just know that the work they do has been top-notch and spot on with the one's I've sent to them.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I was just trying to decide which way to go myself. Have Pac Nor do the truing and fitting,or have a smithy buddy of mine mount the barrel. I asked him his opinion of Pac Nor barrels and he said he had 3 of them on order right now. Loves them. He isn't that busy,so the wait time for him to true,mount,chamber would be decent.

I was surprised the selection of reamers Pac Nor has on hand. They aren't limited to sloppy neck dimensions. I wouldn't have any reservations with them doing the job. Very friendly and informative people.

Last edited by Otter6; 05/24/16.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The two they've done for me were excellent shooters but no better than a Douglas fitted by IT&D at half the price. I can't see buying a $500 rifle and then turn around and spend $600 or more to rebarrel it. Just me. powdr

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
[Linked Image]

They do top notch work.

6.5x47 Lapua, 223ai, 6.5-06, 6x47 Lapua, 280ai, 280ai, 280ai.

All of them are excellent shooters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The two they've done for me were excellent shooters but no better than a Douglas fitted by IT&D at half the price. I can't see buying a $500 rifle and then turn around and spend $600 or more to rebarrel it. Just me. powdr

Let's see some pics then powdr. Don't be shy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Dave charged me $440 for a Douglas barrel job on my Montana. FWIW

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yep, and it shot great. Very accurate rifle, but their version of "polygonal" is not really true polygonal...unless they sent me the wrong barrel. Best way to describe it is 6 groove ramped rifling. Kind of 5R but with an extra land. The lands in the barrel I have are definitely flat on the top of the land. True polygonal rifling has no corners or flats...everything is supposed to be curved. At least it is in every polygonal rifled barrel I have seen, with one exception..Black Hole Weaponry. It is strange, but then it works great too!!

I was expecting 5 grooves, too. But counted 6 and thought....WTF?? But glad to hear that they shoot good.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
[Linked Image]

223ai Montana, 75amax, 282 yds.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Like the OP?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't know about that, I was just thinking out loud about why the difference for Dennis' purposes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
I have killed a lot of animals with pac-nor.
I have killed a lot of animals with Shilen, Lothar Walther, Krieger, original Ruger, and original Browning.

I think all barrels are priced at just about what they are worth. I am buying so many Shilen stainless select match #3 taper, because I can get a wholesale break.

Everyone else hears "amateur gunsmith building his own rifles" and says, "you are a retail customer".

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Sent you a pm longdog.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
my most accurate rifle is a Pac Nor Barrel reject.. before he got big and famous, he was just a local guy trying to get into gunsmithing.. he'd worked for PacNor over in Brookings..

but John Noveske, sold me a 6mm Stainless Barrel, threaded it and chambered it in 6mm Rem on a Rem 700 LA, recommended an 11 degree crown....1 in 7 twist... all for $75!

He was up front that it was a Pac Nor Reject....

Got multiple barrels on rifles, that were Pac Nor "Rejects", that I got from Noveske and him doing the work on them, each are among the most accurate rifles I have.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yes, Dennis does all of his own work on his lathe.

Cut's to length, reams out the chamber, and crowns the barrel.

He's done a few for me. Can't thank him enough for all of his help over the last 6-7 years.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Pacnor $325

Krieger $325

Why pacnor?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
For me, three reasons:

1) Never had a problem with a P-N barrel but have with Krieger. And I do realize that some can say the exact opposite.

2) Turnkey re-barreling. And coating now too.

3) Barrel contours. I don't believe Kreiger is as flexible especially with lightweight contours.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Pacnor $325

Krieger $325

Why pacnor?

Why Krieger?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by smokepole
For me, three reasons:

1) Never had a problem with a P-N barrel but have with Krieger. And I do realize that some can say the exact opposite.

2) Turnkey re-barreling. And coating now too.

3) Barrel contours. I don't believe Kreiger is as flexible especially with lightweight contours.

And from what I've seen the same thing can be said about most any pair of barrel makers you name.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do not have a bore scope, but I do put a fiber optic up the bore and I can see the bore at the point of focus of my magnifier, as well as a bore scope... but just at that one cross section.

I have lots of Pac Nor barrels
They make good ones and so-so ones, depending on which barrel.

I have lots of Shilen barrels
They make good ones and so-so ones, depending on which barrel.

I have lots of Krieger barrels.
They are all good. I have yet to look inside a Krieger that was not mirror polished down in the grooves.

Why am I buying Shilen barrels?
Because I can get the select match Shilens [good as the best pac nor or as good as any Kriger] at a discount.

I have to order 6 months in advance.

[Linked Image]
Some sucker paid $450 to get this Krieger threaded and chambered and engraved, and painted in 300WinMag.
The muzzle was threaded wrong.
Muzzles should be 1/2-28 or 5/8-24.
This one was 1/2-24.
The barrel for $103 off Ebay. I cut off the muzzle, cut Mosin threads, put it on a Mosin Nagant and shot a buck in Oct 2015

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

622 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,065 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,244
Posts18,447,948
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.