Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
In the introduction to his piece on the 270, here's what Finn had to say on the decidedly non-gay, all-American 270 Win... from his book Hunting Rifles And Cartridges:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
On my to do list is reading more stuff that Finn wrote. No game experience myself with a 7x57, but I am a long time 270 shooter and continue to be a fan of the cartridge.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Cool. I've had good results with both but would pick the 270 if I were only allowed one.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Pat, I'm a long-time fan of Aagaard. Besides being a man of considerable experience on game (perhaps more than any other modern writer), he was a keen, relatively unbiased observer who also wrote quite well. All in all, a rare combination.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finn was also the first guy I recall hunting deer with a .223, with the then-new Trophy Bonded bullets. He wrote of it which I think opened more than a few people's eyes.

My experience is also that the .270 = bang flops

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 05/22/16.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Premature. Sorry. Thanks

Last edited by Ready; 05/22/16.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks Brad, very interesting read.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Refreshing to read some common sense stuff on killing BG animals from someone who actually did a lot of it, rather than bounce numbers off a ballistic calculator.

Gun writers like Finn are few and far between these days.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Lot of respect for Finn. I always read his articles first. He shot heavy kicking rounds very well. He wasn't a sissy like JOC😜.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Holes in the goodies kill, speed speeds it up, mostly.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great thread,ole Finn knew his stuff. I agree with him about the 270 with a 150 grain Partition. You probably have to step up to a 375 H and H or something equivalent to see an increase in actual killing power in the field. And even then it's only apparent on really big critters.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I tend to agree with rural doc.

And yet, what makes the .270 so much more universally capable than the .25-06?
I believe it to be true yet I can't put my finger on it.

A partner owns a .25-06 and is going elk hunting for the first time this fall. He stepped up to a .300wsm for this trip. I'm relying once again on my .270 with 150NP. Is it so much more capable than his .25-06 would have been with 120NP? I don't know what that answer is and its bugging me. It might be only in my brain.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good article, I always liked reading his stuff.

I'm new to the 270 Win as of last year and am now wondering why I took so long to try it especially after seeing how well it worked for others I hunted with. Shot a black bear last spring and another 3 days ago both with the 160 gr Partition and was quite impressed, that bullet can seriously penetrate. Going to load up some 140 gr Sierra HPBT or 150 gr Ballistic Tips for deer this year and am expecting great things too.

Gerry.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Finally read the whole thing.

Thanks for putting it up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Finn was always the first article I read. Miss his writing. It's sorely lacking in a great number of today's writers.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I like Finn's writing. Always have. Used to read his articles over and over. Remember one about how excellent the 270 was and him asking a hunter in Africa to try his 270 a little instead of the 375, and immediately the hunter started smoking animals rather than missing or wounding.

I've got a 270 WSM and 7x57 and I still have to talk myself out of getting a 270 Win and setting it up similar to Bobs lightweight 270 Win.

Gerry, your spot on, nothing super flashy but it works and works really well for hunters.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for posting the whole article. Interesting read! But I for one have never doubted the .270 Win. It does it's job very well.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing Finn did was gay. Not even with a .270. smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 270 Win is one of the greatest big game rounds i have ever used and i haven't been without one since the early 70's and will die with one in my collection.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My uncle took two rifles on his two safaris to Africa (Angola & Mozambique) in the late 60s, two model 70s, one a 270, the other a 458. With the former he took everything, including two lion. He used the 458 for Buffalo and elephant. Oh, the 270 was stoked with old fashioned Silvertip.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A really good read.The .270 with the good bullets we see today is even better than ever.I have a cabinet full of hunting rifles and I nearly always reach for one of these Winnies. Elk, moose or whatever, it works for me.I am a sheep hunter first however and my confidence goes skyward when I have an opportunity and this needle gun in my hand.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ive seen lots of game shot with both...as well as the 308, and 30-06. Ive always liked the 7x57 not because it was more effective...but because it has the least amount of recoil of the whole bunch...and by a fair margin.

As far as effectiveness...they are all about the same imho

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh I'll have to go into my stack of HUNTING and find that one. Anyone know the year of that magazine?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Finn's article on the 270 was published in American Rifleman, May 1984, page 48.

The scans posted above are from a collection of his work, Hunting Rifles and Cartridges, published by the NRA in 1990, ISBN 0-935998-58-6. Finn was irritated with the compilation because of the number of editorial goofs. NRA went so far as to send out a 4-page notice of errata to all who purchased the book from the NRA store. Unfortunately, I've mislaid my copy of that notice.

--Bob

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'd imagine anyone with a lead pot, wheelweights a reasonable education of alloy and some fauna could proclaim the 30-30 a "lightning killer"....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm a fan of Finn as well. I can't remember how he....
Pronounced his last name ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
jwall, since its Scandanavian, I think Aagaard is Ågård I would pronounce it sortuvas "Oh Gored"... I don't know if he did...

Bullshooter,
" NRA went so far as to send out a 4-page notice of errata to all who purchased the book from the NRA store. Unfortunately, I've mislaid my copy of that notice."

I recognized that article posted by "brad", I have that book and often pull it off the shelf and read an article or two.

I have the 4-page errata stuffed in my book. Would you like me to try and scan it into a pdf and email it?

Poole

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Brad
In the introduction to his piece on the 270, here's what Finn had to say on the decidedly non-gay, all-American 270 Win... from his book Hunting Rifles And Cartridges:

[Linked Image]

The .270 win works and is the lower 48 & African PG best all-arounder; including Duiker to Moose to Eland. It will even take the largest Bears, Leopard, Lion (if it were still legal) and Hyenas.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwall

Jerry

I've always pronounced it "Ah-guard."

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I wished I'd had the opportunity to visit with him more when he came in the shop on his visits to town. We always pronounced it A-Guard.

He was constantly in my old hunting Pards shop in Llano. They were pretty good friends.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seven0Eight
Ive seen lots of game shot with both...as well as the 308, and 30-06. Ive always liked the 7x57 not because it was more effective...but because it has the least amount of recoil of the whole bunch...and by a fair margin.

As far as effectiveness...they are all about the same imho

Hi Joe, for me I'd sooner use a Short Action 7-08 than the "tweener" 7x57.

As far as recoil, I've only found the 7x57 less recoil-wise with 140's and lighter, but not by a "fair margin." With 160's, I find it a bit sharper than a 308 with a 165, and about the same as 270 with a 150. Ditto the 7-08.

But all of them kick noticeably less than the 30-06.

As far as game effectiveness, I've used them all on bull elk and at normal ranges haven't seen a difference with any of them, including the 7-08. I just like the bigger 270 engine. It does more with heavies than the smaller 7-08/7x57 engine.

But the differences are likely immaterial in the real world. But I will say a mushroomed 270/150 Partition is a beautiful thing!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's how Finn pronounced it, with a little guttural undertone.

My copy of the book is coming apart, but so far various kinds of tape have kept it reasonably intact.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
John, good to know. My Norwegian name is likely butchered as much as his!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No need or intent to disparage anyone, and I agree about the 270, but any cartridge whose product by dividing case capacity (water) by bore diameter that ranges between 200 to 250 is an a fairly efficient cartridge. I forget the reference but time has proved it true for me.

Add appropriate bullet (don't blame the cartridge here); apply to appropriate
game in the appropriate location (don't blame cartridge here again) and all's well.

The weeds are deep if you want to get into them but it's certainly not necessary.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I bought my first .270Win. in 1968, owned about a dozen since, all P-64-70s, except one FN-Husqy and one Husqy 4100. I currently have three P-64 Fwts, all in top end synthetics, in .270 and I load 150NPs for hunting exclusively.

It was for many years, my second favourite cartridge, after the superb .338WM and I still love it. However, I started monkeying with custom .280Rems. in 1981 and last year bought a .280AI in the Kimber MA, for some reason, I seem to prefer the .280s.

I have fine, custom 7x57s and a 7-08 and find all of these with good bullets about "ideal" for BC hunting as the rifles are light enough to carry in steep country and 150/160 NPts. seem to kill well.

Actually, unless one frequently practices with heavier rounds such as the .338 or 9.3s or .375s, all of which I own several examples of, I think that one is better off with a .270-150NPt. or the other rounds listed above as they are MUCH easier to shoot well on game.

At 6 weeks short of 70, with the next season being my 52nd. and decades of mountain work and recreation behind me, I can say that a LIGHTER rifle IS better and if you can't "do it" with a 7mm-150/160NPt, you probably wont with a bigger hammer.

There, IS some advantage to the .338WM, etc, but, ONLY when you can really shoot it and in some circumstances.

YMMV-JMHO.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ok my mistake, Brad posted the source right off! It looked like a magazine page, not a book. The search moves to another bookshelf.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It just sort of hit me that the real life experience of the people who posted in this thread is really pretty amazing. I have most likely killed less elk than pretty much everyone in it. I only have six bulls if I remember correctly.

This is the only place that I know of that has that factor. Good site,good thread.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If I knew how to post a pdf scan I'd post Mr. Aagaard's article on the 7x57 that PJGunner sent me. Good stuff!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
It just sort of hit me that the real life experience of the people who posted in this thread is really pretty amazing. I have most likely killed less elk than pretty much everyone in it. I only have six bulls if I remember correctly.

This is the only place that I know of that has that factor. Good site,good thread.

Back in the 80's and 90's when I was reading everything I could on elk hunting, the consensus was the mid/eastern hunter needed a more "powerful" rifle - ie. 7mmMag, 300 WM and the 338WM. The 30-06 was really tempting fate and the .270Win. was almost criminal!
Fast forward some 35 years and many here know that those magnum calibers, while perfectly fine, are not needed.
And this didn't just come about because of "better bullets". Looking back in my elk diary, I see 18 cows and 3 bulls taken with .270's, .308's and '06's. Most with "softer" bullets too. That is more than anecdotal and tells me that neither magnum cartridges nor premium bullets are necessary.
I guess the authors sold a lot of hardware for the industry though. Whether it was by design or not, I'll let it up to others to decide.

My next "elk cartridge" hunt will be with a 7x57 Supergrade.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 05/24/16.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Before we get carried away with the notion that Finn was a "little rifle" user, it would be well to remember that he did some of his own elk hunting here with a 300 Win Mag and a 338 Win Mag as well...dig hard enough through his writings and one will find this.

I am not one to dump on the various bigger rounds for elk hunting,as I used them successfully myself for years without encountering the boogeymen of flinching my shots into the next county.

As my 270 shooting rancher friend is fond of saying (he's killed 50-60 elk,including some very big bulls) the 270 kills them but the 300 Win Mag just flattens them.. smile

I guess i would have to agree.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Before we get carried away with the notion that Finn was a "little rifle" user, it would be well to remember that he did some of his own elk hunting here with a 300 Win Mag and a 338 Win Mag as well...dig hard enough through his writings and one will find this.

I am not one to dump on the various bigger rounds for elk hunting,as I used them successfully myself for years without encountering the boogeymen of flinching my shots into the next county.

As my 270 shooting rancher friend is fond of saying (he's killed 50-60 elk,including some very big bulls) the 270 kills them but the 300 Win Mag just flattens them.. smile

I guess i would have to agree.

I've sorta seen the same. The 270 WSM did a good job, I like my 338 a touch more. The 7 MSM doesn't suck either. Guess I'll have to take a 100 to make a valid opinion though grin

I'm up for the challenge.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brad,
Thanks for posting this cool stuff. When I was a lad, I used to read Jack O'conner's stories in Outdoor Life magazine. Those stories about the 7x57 in Africa made me want a 7x57 rifle. Fast forward to the late 70's, where I became a fan of Finn Aagard with his Brno Mauser in 7x57 with the " butter knife bolt handle" which furthered my longing for a 7x57 rifle.In 1984, I walked into my local gun store and found 3 Ruger M77 tang safety rifles in 7x57 that were gathering dust. I picked out the one with the best wood, laid down my hard earned $275, and walked out with my own 7x57. The only thing I've ever shot with it, is a 300lb. Russian boar with a 160 grain Speer Grand Slam at 2600fps. Needless to say, it did the job. It's the last rifle I would ever part with. Sorry for the rant.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Refreshing to read some common sense stuff on killing BG animals from someone who actually did a lot of it, rather than bounce numbers off a ballistic calculator.

Yes, sir. And do you ever get the impression that the ballistic calculator crowd at large couldn't work out a math problem with a pencil and paper?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I enjoyed the article. I think it is a nice balance of real world experience with supporting numbers. It has more numbers than most articles these days including both limited penetration comparison and load data. For whatever reason I just can't get interested in the 270 Win, but I don't question it's capability.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have both and love both. Also have a 7mm08 that I love too.

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jerry

Guys please forgive my oversight !!

Several of you answered my ? about Finn's last name.... I didn't say thanks.

Sorry.....and thank y'all.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Bill Poole kind of nailed it how you pronounce it; Ouh Goured.

AA ( Ouh ) gaard ( Goured )... sorta

The US in the last 40 years:

Socialism for big corporations and military industrial complex

&

Rugged individualism for the individual.
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Jerry

I've always pronounced it "Ah-guard."

According to MD, this is how Finn pronounced his own name.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd have to agree with pretty much everything he said about the .270

What were the old silvertips like as a BG bullet?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
BD, I never shot the original ST's, and perhaps someone else can confirm, but I've been told they're much stouter than today's Silvertips. Having said that, I've seen complete pass-through's with the 130's on cow elk from the 270.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I can't believe how many people base their experience on what someone else wrote about. Nothing against Finn, Jack and other iconic writers, but contemporary writers of today such as Barsness and Venturino, I read because we usually talk about this stuff all the time.

As to the 7X57 and 270, if you aren't strong enough to pull the bolt back far enough to use the longer action and carry that extra weight of another inch and a half of action, you might want to hit the stairmaster or forget that bottle of double malt scotch in your backpack...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I can't believe how many people base their experience on what someone else wrote about. Nothing against Finn, Jack and other iconic writers, but contemporary writers of today such as Barsness and Venturino, I read because we usually talk about this stuff all the time.

As to the 7X57 and 270, if you aren't strong enough to pull the bolt back far enough to use the longer action and carry that extra weight of another inch and a half of action, you might want to hit the stairmaster or forget that bottle of double malt scotch in your backpack...

I have no idea what any of that means.

And you may have missed that this is the GUNWRITERS forum, hence sharing an article, by a gunwriter, on the GUNWRITERS forum.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That comes as no surprise to anyone on the Campfire...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Northman
Bill Poole kind of nailed it how you pronounce it; Ouh Goured.

AA ( Ouh ) gaard ( Goured )... sorta

Once met a fellow in Germany with the same last name. He pronounced it as BP said. The 'd' was nearly silent though.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The Å or Aa, could be pronound as a long A, just a smidgen longer.

I guess many Norwegian/Americans just started using the A instead.

My last name which also contains an Å, would just sound strange using a single A.

&

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I lost an old friend last year to cancer,he was in his 70s and was a devoted fan of the 270 with the original 130 Silvertip load. He had a stash of them and worried that they would run out before he left this world.

He only hunted one spot,a pipeline right of way that faced north where he could see about a quarter mile. He would kill a dandy buck just about every year in his stand,and said close or far the Silvertips were very quick killers. But he said they penetratred like crazy too. He had hogs on his lease and loved to line up two big ones and kill them with a single shot. He did this stunt many,many times. The original 130 grain Silvertip was a pretty tough bullet

Last edited by ruraldoc; 05/25/16.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have a friend here in Montana who has a bunch of 130 Silvertips recovered from elk. His father bought 1000 in a single batch years ago, and all ended up in "perfect mushrooms."

But the original Silvertips were highly variable in performance, depending on when they were made. One of the very few instances I've witnessed of a bullet actually coming apart on a deer and failing to penetrate was a 150-grain Silvertip from a .30-06, and the buck was a forkhorn mule deer about 200 yards away. The bullet hit the shoulder joint and never made it through the ribs. Have other stories as well, and not just from that batch.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jack O'Connor was a Silvertip fan. I've taken Moose, bear, deer, and turkey with them and they worked great. But that was in 30-30 and .32 Special.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting but what is missing is that the 7x57 was designed to shoot a long, heavy (175 gr) cup and core bullet at moderate velocity to open up 2 calibers and penetrate forever. The 270 WCF was a hotrod for medium game using a 130 gr bullet that would open up quickly and kill w/o much penetration.

Either can be reworked to mirror the other with today's bullets and powders, given the limitations of twist issues.

So, today, outside of enjoying it, there is really no reason for a debate.

Just a guess, but I think Shrapnel was doing a mild dump on the short action lunacy by men who are generally a bit chubby. Happily all the shorties have died except the 300 WSM which does nothing a 300 WinMag won't except feed poorly and have hard to find ammo.

Own 3 7x57s (no.1), 2 270s (M70 & No.1) 1 7mm08 (Marlin)
and all work fine and with proper handloads are redundant.
7mm08 stainless is on the block as it's boringly perfect.

Always loved Finn with his 375 H&H wearing a K 2.5 in Weaver mounts which, we all "know" is a lousy rig.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Buzz off larry.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Using two screen names simultaneously, after being asked to leave on numerous occasions? Seems that's enough right there to answer his own questions.

Poor Larry Root, misunderstood Larry Root.... Why, why, why?
Originally Posted by 1000is
Hardly, hated by cowards is more accurate.

Now sir what's your beef ?

Please be specific, not general slurs.

Who have I cheated ? Who have I called foul names and posted insulting photos of ? Of the dozens of items I bought here, who was unhappy with the deal ?

Finally, as it happened before you joined, do you even have any idea (again specifics) why banned ?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Northman,

Unfortunately, that's not how Finn pronounced his name. Maybe it was "modified" by years his family spent in Kenya and then Texas.

John Steinbeck
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by Northman
The Å or Aa, could be pronound as a long A, just a smidgen longer.

I guess many Norwegian/Americans just started using the A instead.

My last name which also contains an Å, would just sound strange using a single A.

The additional vowels in the Scandinavian languages (Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish) are tough for Americans to hear and pronounce. I will never grasp the difference in the sound for the Danish words for "cheese" and "east." The first is "ost" and the second is "øst". I am afraid I ask "May I have some more east, please?"

Heaven help me if they invent a 27ø.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by utah708
I will never grasp the difference in the sound for the Danish words for "cheese" and "east." The first is "ost" and the second is "øst".
I am afraid I ask "May I have some more east, please?"

Heaven help me if they invent a 27ø.
grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The misses butted in here..

Ofcourse depending on the US dialect,

Å sounds like Awe
and
gård sounds like gored.

Awe - Gored

Very similar!

And, speaking of the Danes, they have a very strange language. Even though we used to vacation there every summer when I was younger, its still difficult to understand them. Very guttural language.

Language professors, estimate that the south and north won`t not understand each other in a 100 years.

&

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting on Aagaard's name pronunciation Northman, thanks for the further clarification.

My last name is a somewhat simpler Norwegian name than Finn's that still is only rarely pronounced correctly here, though I did find in Norway I actually pronounce it as they do.

Scandinavian languages are not simple!

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
And PS, it always cracked me up Finn refused to call the 6.5x55 a "Swede."

I'm with him on that grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
And PS, it always cracked me up Finn refused to call the 6.5x55 a "Swede."

I'm with him on that grin

O K !

reason ?

Matters not to me.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The 6.5x55 was not exclusively a Swedish development, much less designed for their Mauser actions.

Instead it was co-designed by a joint commission of what was then the United Kingdom of Norway and Sweden in 1891. Each country then chose their own rifle to fire the cartridge, a process that took about three years. The Norwegians chose the Krag-Jorgensen action, the last of three nations to do so after Denmark and the U.S., even though it was designed by a pair of Norwegians. The Swedes chose the 1894 Mauser action.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thnx MD

I knew 'some' of that but not all of it. I appreciate the details.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Back up for the 270 fans...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Especially now that it's become the .270 Relative Long, Skinny Magnum with the introduction of Reloder 26....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John,

Can you please update us on Reloder 26 in the 270?

thanks

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Especially now that it's become the .270 Relative Long, Skinny Magnum with the introduction of Reloder 26....

Har!

Dober found me a lb of the stuff on his way back from MN... hard to find around here. Looking forward to trying it out.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Vern,

I've settled on a charge of 60.5 grains with the 150 Partition in my Model 70 (an O'Connor Commemorative Featherweight), slightly under the 60.8 grains Alliant lists as maximum with the Partition. Last week on a 70-degree day, it averaged 3013 fps with the chronograph 15 feet from the muzzle, and two 4-shot groups averaged a little over an inch.

John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Tagged for RL 26 info with the 270 Thanks

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

[Linked Image]

IIRC, JO'C wrote that he once took 2 deer with 1 shot when he shot through a buck and hit/killed the doe that was on the buck's off-side. Then, years later, he had to use 2 shots to take 1 animal, don't recall where or what, but that is how I remember it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here are the results from my chrono loads with RL-26 and 150gr Speer in my M70 fwt with a 22" barrel. So far so good, more testing to do.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by irfubar; 09/09/16.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks good with the R-26 which is running $30/lb. at my local shop. I probably won't switch with quite a bit of H4831SC on hand.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 09/09/16.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,981 guests, and 1,427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,474
Posts18,451,783
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.