Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sorry MM, I should have used quotes for geekster. My bad.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm, my post seems to have missed the mark since it wasn't about Glocks or Berettas per se. What I was trying to point out was human nature and the unfailing comedy of egos at work.

Let someone say something good or even objectively point out the good things about anything, for instance, "here's some interesting things about a Beretta 92", but it could be a brand of car, another brand of handgun, rifle, whatever, and invariably many people see that and do not think, "hmm, here's an objective statement or subjective opinion about something", rather they think, "well, you're not touting MY brand of car/handgun/rifle/whatever, so what you're really doing is saying this thing is better than what I own, and further you must think what I own really stinks, and because I derive my ego identity from my possessions if you think what I own stinks then you must think I'm an idiot for owning it, so now I have to attack whatever you said good things about and play up the thing I own as the best thing in the world because I know in my heart that you didn't really mean to say something nice about something unrelated to me, what you really meant to do was directly and openly attack me personally."

But "What is read: 'Glocks suck!'" seemed a bit more pithy...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Some people like to say Glock has a "cult like following".

A 'cult' is a small group with a generally unpopular belief.

Glock success is anything but cult like. Glock is Mainstream +P. It's a household name. Embraced by the citizenry, LE and Military.
I tend to equate cult with an irrational belief. It would be completely rational to like the Glock, but there are several who take it to the point of being irrational; hence the cult like following.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am not going to write a book on the subject, however as we meander into the 21st century, one has to wonder how many cult like Glock's are sold compared to the Baretta? Perhaps the more important question might be, "why" do most people like the crappy plastic Glock over the fine blue steel family made heirloom model 92 pistol?

Secondly I did clearly state that if you had the I.Q. of a toaster oven you would be better off with something else. Thus for the record I agree and admit that there is clear logic behind both training wheels on a kids bicycle and the double-single action semiautomatic pistol action, the Baretta fills this role perfectly! So you see we are in agreement on this! laugh

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by deflave
Standby for 'string in my holster' comments.

<><> http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/DSCF0242.jpg <><>

- It's a Glock thing.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The frame is not steel. As for looks, the Beretta looks like a machine to me. It is not beautiful, but is attractive. Glock the same, but more homely. Both are good tools and I would own a 92, bought cheap. Will actually use my G19.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I actually like shooting the M9. They run great, and are quite accurate. After adopting the M9, The USMC had to up the qual scores because the old standard based on the 1911A1 was too easily achieved with the M9.

I have a question, just an honest question. Do the current manufacture M92s have the Slide Capture Device on them?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, look for a circular disc on the left side of the frame sticking out above the left grip panel, and look for a groove milled into the underside of the left rear slide rail, for the disc to ride in.

If you see these features, they are designed to hold the rear half of the slide on the gun if it totally fails, saving your teeth. If the early M9 slide failures were a fluke, this slide capture device should no longer be needed.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by viking
Sorry MM, I should have used quotes for geekster. My bad.

It's all good, just gun talk.....grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
, "well, you're not touting MY brand of car/handgun/rifle/whatever, so what you're really doing is saying this thing is better than what I own, and further you must think what I own really stinks, and because I derive my ego identity from my possessions if you think what I own stinks then you must think I'm an idiot for owning it, what you really meant to do was directly and openly attack me personally."

It seems that you do understand. grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Your gun sucks and your holding it wrong!!!! laugh

laugh laugh laugh

Last edited by jimmyp; 05/26/16.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That's the spirit!.....grin

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I actually like shooting the M9. They run great, and are quite accurate. After adopting the M9, The USMC had to up the qual scores because the old standard based on the 1911A1 was too easily achieved with the M9.

I have a question, just an honest question. Do the current manufacture M92s have the Slide Capture Device on them?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, look for a circular disc on the left side of the frame sticking out above the left grip panel, and look for a groove milled into the underside of the left rear slide rail, for the disc to ride in.

If you see these features, they are designed to hold the rear half of the slide on the gun if it totally fails, saving your teeth. If the early M9 slide failures were a fluke, this slide capture device should no longer be needed.

Yes they do have the slide capture devise. And there was some fluke in the early slides failures, but some of it was legit. Some were traced to Italian slides that had the wrong steel; those were the majority of the failed slides that came completely off the gun.

But the other issue had to do with the fact that the Beretta 92 was designed for standard pressure 9mm, and at the last minute, the US Military adopted the British spec 9mma ammo that would become the NATO standard. So the Beretta 92's slide had to be revamped to accomodate the new pressure standard.

In all fairness, it should be noted that the NATO ammo caused a complete re-design of Sig's slides as well.

The slide capture device isn't really needed but why not keep it since it really doesn't hurt anything...and on the off chance that someone does break their slide, and decide "Hey let's see how long before the slide completely comes apart".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
and invariably many people see that and do not think,

Yes, it's just funny how many "many people" own glocks.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
crazy stuff, a cult like following, Glock perfection, a $100 pistol that costs $550, plastic crap, matty mattel, lions laying down with sheep, when will it end!

Frankly to me it is just a complete mystery that the Glock 19 for $570 with its abortion of a trigger, its plastic magazines, its cheap plastic sights, just simply outsells the much better constructed and quality Beretta Inox retailing at $690.00.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
crazy stuff, a cult like following, Glock perfection, a $100 pistol that costs $550, plastic crap, matty mattel, lions laying down with sheep, when will it end!

Frankly to me it is just a complete mystery that the Glock 19 for $570 with its abortion of a trigger, its plastic magazines, its cheap plastic sights, just simply outsells the much better constructed and quality Beretta Inox retailing at $690.00.

What do you drive? Serious question.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
17's, 19's and a 43.

Last edited by jimmyp; 05/27/16.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Jeff Cooper must have been wrong! if you don't know any better an ingenious solution to a non existent problem works better than nothing.

On the other hand you pull the Glock trigger 5 times it pulls the exact same way 5 times, except of course if I have a piece of string in my holster (thanks Travis).

I've found it mildly amusing that according to Jeff Cooper, in his own writing, when he wasn't packing a 1911 around, his more discrete carry pistol was a 38 special revolver.

Last edited by idahoguy101; 05/30/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
17's, 19's and a 43.

Not pistols; vehicles. Again, serious question.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Originally Posted by deflave
Standby for 'string in my holster' comments.

<><> http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/DSCF0242.jpg <><>

- It's a Glock thing.

You gonna throw an M&P down your pants without one?

How about a Kit Bag?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 68 invisible), 2,811 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,200
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.