Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
so i am fooling with one of the 4.2 inch redhawks today mentally comparing it to the n frame smiths, which i probably shouldn't do.
and then i realize what has been bothering me.

I think the redhawks have way to narrow a hammer spur. am i the only one? really needs to be wider.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim Stroh was fixing them for a while, so you are not the only one.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Interesting as there are folks that have the Smith target hammer (and trigger) narrowed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I thought hammer spurs were for decoration.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
when i got this 4.2inch 45colt redhawk i reduced the weight of the trigger spring a little. i was comparing it to the same gun in 41mag which has not had that done to it.
also the 45 has had a couple thousand cock/decock actions done through it. You can sure tell the difference.
but neither is anywhere as smooth as an early blued redhawk in 41mag.
what i really would like to see is a superredhawk with the barrel shortened in comparison.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/24/16.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I was futzing around with the redhawk again today, and pulled out a marlin octagon barrel lever 45 colt. then got to thinking about several boxes of ammo i bought long time ago for some vacquero's when i was going up elk hunting in the mts of northwest colorado. Where there aren't suppose to be grizz bear, but the guys i was with that ranch in colorado sd there are a few.
anyway i bought two boxes of buffalo bore 45colt ammo 325grain, rated at 1325fps, l.b.t.
And i went to buffalo's website and it was okay for that redhawk and the marlin rifle. Then i looked in my lyman cast bullet reloading guide. That round is right in the ballpark with a .454casul.
And that points out quite a range for the .45colt, 700-800fps light bullets, up to these ball breakers.
i think i am eventually going to have to fire some out of the marlin through a chrony, i think that is in the range of a 38.55rifle. Or near it.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/24/16.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Dang it Ron,

There you go wasting time with those wanna be cartridges, when you have a bunch of 41's being neglected.

Just kidding, but I wanted to say it before Bob did..

That actually sounds like an interesting project. Buffalo Bore loads some impressive ammo, and not just in 41.

I think I was getting 1700 fps from my Marlin FG in 41 with 210 gr hand loads. The same load ran 1400 fps fron the 7.5 inch SBH.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Anyone have an explanation why the RedHawks are no longer available in 45LC in the 5.5" model? Tons of current 5.5" in 44 Mag but not in 45 LC

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i handed the 4.2 inch redhawk 41mag to son in law yesterday, then the 4.2inch 45colt to him, asked him if he noticed any difference. I put a lighter spring in the 45colt, i need to do that in the 41.
as you mentioned that sbh, i have some certain loads i think i will chrony in a blackhawk.
speaking of the enabler, have you fired any of those 300grain pills in 41? I think i have five of them loaded up, like for a year, and haven't had a chrony to run them yet.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/25/16.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Anyone have an explanation why the RedHawks are no longer available in 45LC in the 5.5" model? Tons of current 5.5" in 44 Mag but not in 45 LC

Evidently it's supply/demand. Hey, I'm a big fan of the 45 Colt, but they just don't sell as well in The Redhawk marketplace. No 4.2" coming in lately in 45 colt either. Maybe they will make another run soon.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
on the other hand looking for unobtainium today, the couple of powders i dont have, tightgroup, i was talking to a lgs owner. He just sold a superredhawk in 41magnum. I am glad i didn't go there yesterday.
didn't know about the 2inch version.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i handed the 4.2 inch redhawk 41mag to son in law yesterday, then the 4.2inch 45colt to him, asked him if he noticed any difference. I put a lighter spring in the 45colt, i need to do that in the 41.
as you mentioned that sbh, i have some certain loads i think i will chrony in a blackhawk.
speaking of the enabler, have you fired any of those 300grain pills in 41? I think i have five of them loaded up, like for a year, and haven't had a chrony to run them yet.

Let me know what the Chrony says. I don't think I ever actually clocked the Titegroup load. The Universal was 700'ish.

No, I have not messed with any 300's. I have a box safely stashed in the gun safe with some really nice looking cast bullets (including some gas checked 250's) which Bob sent me about a year ago.

I have been so darned busy reclaiming this field, leveling and getting it planted that the gun hobbies are severely neglected.

I think that I sent you more bullets than I have fired in the last year.

But the field is planted and growing. This week it will get its second dose of irrigation water. I am about ready to start burning some powder again. Well, after I get back from taking some grandkids trout fishing at a mountain reservoir this Sunday.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I shot a brand new 4" Redhawk in .44 Mag the other day and I was pretty impressed.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I love my 5.5" .44. Had a 7.5" 44 before it that I wish I had held on to. Both had remarkable triggers compared to some of the new stuff S&W is putting out.

The width of the hammer spur has NEVER even crossed my mind.

The grip frame ergos could use some updating in my opinion. I had hoped their lapse in production a year or two ago was to update to the Super Redhawk peg-style frame...alas, it wasn't so. I settled for some Herrett grips instead. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
I shot a brand new 4" Redhawk in .44 Mag the other day and I was pretty impressed.

I like those too.

[Linked Image]

Travis

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T[Linked Image]

The 45 Colt ain't bad either.

Doug

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,888 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.