Print Thread
Hop To
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had Centurylink for my hardline phone and internet.They were charging me $75.00 for my phone unlimited long distance.I found out I could get a Celcom home phone unlimited long-distance for $25.00 a month including taxes.So I dropped the Centurylink home phone.Now they upped my Internet from $19.95 a month to $77.00.So I want to dump them all together and get Dishnet for my provider.Does anyone have experience with their internet service?I use them for TV.There is not much choice around here for internet providers.Thanks ahead ,Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dish SUX IMO!

Switched to Direct TV......still not great but better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dishnet blows.In the event of service interruption such as obstacles in my case you are still locked into the monthly bill.

Three of their techs came to our location at separate times and said no problem after voicing a concern.

MONTHS later after numerous complaints a fourth tech came out and said the first three were mistaken.No refund.

DIRECT TV.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
All the satellite and wireless internet plans I've looked into have limits on the data, which makes watching movies and such prohibitively expensive for me. There's also a lagtime issue due to the distance to and from the satellite. I've got high-speed DSL from Frontier (the local telco) that has unlimited data and 3.0gb downloads for about $40 a month. For a bit more, I can get 12.0gb on bonded pair wiring, but the 3 gig is fast enough for our use.

I put the Dish tv on suspend, which actually gives me a fair number of channels for $5 a month, and hooked up my old antenna so I can get storm news and such.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had been using an ATT hotspot for internet out here at the ranch. It worked but only because of the cell booster and 30' tower I built.

Had Dish TV and upgraded to HD and got the internet thru Dish as a bundle.

Since then it's been way better than what I had before. Only issue is thunderstorms, much like with the Dish TV...

When the internet is blocked by thunderstorms I just turn on the hotspot and still have internet.

Livin' in the sticks. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For web browsing and streaming, a satellite service won't be too bad. For anything that's interactive (games, lots of round trips back and forth to the server, etc) - it blows. The distance to the satellite just means there's a big time lag. Had one for a year or so back in the 90's.

Looks like for November, 2015 the data cap was 10GB. For streaming movies/tv, that might not last very long.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Call CL tell em you want the internet 12 month special, about $28 a month taxes included. that's what we're doing.
I had called and told them to disconnect us because of phone costs and that was what they offered about 2 months ago. Now we both just have a cell phone and CL for the net.

CL has no data limit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calhoun
For web browsing and streaming, a satellite service won't be too bad. For anything that's interactive (games, lots of round trips back and forth to the server, etc) - it blows. The distance to the satellite just means there's a big time lag. Had one for a year or so back in the 90's.

Looks like for November, 2015 the data cap was 10GB. For streaming movies/tv, that might not last very long.

I think mine is limited to 50gb.

You just don't watch netflixs or interactive games. YouTube stuff is ok.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
All providers have limits. Even the ones that say there unlimited. Some are higher than others.
To stream an Internet or Netflix movie you need between 2-6 Megabites depending on size video. In rural areas you are stuck with what's available.

When calling CL ask for there Customer Retention operators. They can do more than the regular knuckle heads. Tell them your considering disconnecting. They don't like hearing that and are more apt to roll you into a special rate for data.

Just my 2 cents

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My DSL is flat rate, no limit on total data.

Some providers have been caught "choking" the speed on heavy users, but that's never been a problem for us. We watch one or two movies every night, plus YouTube on two screens, in addition to the hour or so I spend on the news sites every day. The price remains the same.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz
I had Centurylink for my hardline phone and internet.They were charging me $75.00 for my phone unlimited long distance.I found out I could get a Celcom home phone unlimited long-distance for $25.00 a month including taxes.So I dropped the Centurylink home phone.Now they upped my Internet from $19.95 a month to $77.00.So I want to dump them all together and get Dishnet for my provider.Does anyone have experience with their internet service?I use them for TV.There is not much choice around here for internet providers.Thanks ahead ,Huntz

Huntz, I'm in the same pickle as you. We had the dish bundle (dish tv, centurylink phone and internet) a few years ago, but it got too expensive, or so I thought. I swapped to direct tv, dropped the phone (went to majic jack), and centurylink raised internet to about what you paying. I've checked on changing to other internet providers, but we dont have another local provider, except for the satellite providers. None of them are any better than what I've got. Unlimited use, no bad weather problems, etc. makes for a bearable but expensive internet service. I have switched back to dish, but the satellite service they offer is not as good as what I got.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I talked to CL and they said I have a $29.00 discount not shown on my new paperwork.They said it will be shown on my next bill.So I guess I will stay with them for now.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have Dishnet at a house that is too far from all other internet providers. It's on the northern California coast and gets a lot of bad weather, but it's been very reliable. The problem with Dishnet is that it gets very expensive. 5 GB for about $50/month, and if you do anything other than email and a bit of reading forums online, you blow through 5 gb pretty quick each month. Once you hit the cap, you get dial up speeds. It's still a lot better than having nothing, but it wouldn't be my first choice if I had other options.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
824 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 12308300, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 86 invisible), 3,244 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,186
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.