Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer Crossbow which is 2,4-D and triclopyr.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The key to true broadleaf control is treating in the fall, Memorial Day or later in the north. At that point, all broadleafs that are going to sprout for the year have done so, and any good contact herbicide will kill them well since they are absorbing nutrients to send them straight to the roots.

Then it is simple to maintain with something like weed-n-feed in the spring, or simply spray heavy each fall.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A heavy application of Varget and toss on a lit Cigar as you head to the shop!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
2 others that work well are LV6 which is a stronger form of 2 4 D. The other is Milestone. It kills all broad leaf plants and has a residual effect for about 3 years. It is expensive though.I really like it for Thistles and kills them when other herbicides won't.Either will kill dandelions easily.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
2-4-D Amine. And dont forget to mow high and mow often. Short cut grass is a haven for weeds to sprout.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
2,4D amine concentrate. Weed-B-Gone has 2,4D as an active ingredient, but lacks much power. Follow directions for mix then add just a bit more for a knock-out punch. Add a surfactant like orange oil or old fashioned dish soap so the herbicide will stick to the broadleaf. Apply in the early am when dew is on the grass and the weed's pores are open. It also helps to see your tracks so you get good coverage and not too much overlap. Try to make sure there's no rain in the forecast for a few days. Tank on a wheeler or tractor will save your back for that big patch of grass you have.

I used to do it summers for a large lawn outfit for 4 years. Weeds will be less when your lawn (grass) gets stronger. Aerate and overseed spring and fall. Crabgrass pre-emergent in the spring, slow release nitrogen in summer, weed and feed in the fall. Cut lower spring and fall, higher in heat of the summer; never more than a 1/3 of the grass blade, and water about an 1" a week. That's all there is to it! cool

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
[Linked Image]

So, which part of your front yard is this?

blush grin

Must be the part that doesn't get much water.

Goats are the best deal. After they get Dave's yard in shape he can rent 'em out. And eat some of the youngens.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
atse,

Milestone is probably fine for the OP, but don't use it where livestock will graze, (or hay grown).

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I got a major handle on my lawn and the dandelion patch by mowing every 2 or 3 days for the last couple weeks and they're practically all gone.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
AcesNeights,

"I got a major handle on my lawn and the dandelion patch by mowing every 2 or 3 days for the last couple weeks and they're practically all gone."

I'll for sure never get a handle on mine, then.
I really don't mind a few.

I'll be damned if I'm going to mow every 2 or 3 days.
Sound like a plan, though if they really bother you.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
They don't really bother me. The chickens like them hell even my lab will choose a salad from time to time. I don't mind mowing as I get on the John Deere and get lost in thought, it's the damn thistle I don't like.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
2, 4, D purchased at about 50% active ingredient mixed as a 3% solution (about 1.92 ounces per gallon) with about 10 drops of dish detergent added. Mist the yard about twice a summer. Kills broadleaves, but is harmless to grasses.

Higher concentrations will rapidly top kill but not take out the roots.

1Minute
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Dandelions?

Triclophlor eats em for breakfast, but pre-emirgence.

A real weed had to be invented by Germans.....Creeping Charlie. Triclophlor as well. A spring dose can barely control them. Fall is the time to get rid of weeds.

Odd, Norwegians bitching about dandelions....

Getting rid of weeds starts in the fall. Making them gone in June is almost a year behind and wasting dollars in the process.

Weeds die best when they have to feed, as does grass strenghthen when it needs to be fed.
Toxins stored in broadleaves means they dont live to make the next season....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
AcesNeights,

About the only thing that will kill thistle, is Curtail M with clopyralid. Or -

Do a search for "cloropyralid" herbicide. It is the straight stuff available under several different names, even from the same manufacturer.

These are NOT to be used where kids will be playing. They are pretty much for professional use, but I was able to purchase some a few years ago,

Myron

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The quickest, most thorough job of getting rid of dandelions over a large area I've ever seen was a company of basic trainees, dress-right-dress in a straight line, armed with mess kit spoons.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
joken2,
"The quickest, most thorough job of getting rid of dandelions over a large area I've ever seen was a company of basic trainees, dress-right-dress in a straight line, armed with mess kit spoons."

That is downright funny!

That would work until they came back up from what root was too deep for the spoons.

Myron

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Right on.

So, "mouse eared.." Something or another? We're getting over run by a small clover like weed as well. It's not as bothersome as the dandelions but it still don't belong.

2,4-D should work on that too.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Didn't read any posts other than what the OP asked. The answer is Trimec Classic. with about 26% 2,4-D. Buy a gallon jug for about $55 and get a good hand sprayer or if you have a large yard, a 10-25 gallon pull behind sprayer.
Trimec costs double for the amount of product you need. And at the rate you're applying, it's literally 50% of a standard dose for broadleaf weeds.

That 2.5 gallon jug of Amine 400 costs $43 and the concentrate's nearly 47%.. AND you can cover 10 acres at that rate. Yer payin' twice the price for the "Trimec" name.. Just to give you a comparison.. smile

Originally Posted by 700LH
get the stronger stuff, about the same price and goes farther

[Linked Image]
That IS the stuff I use - same concentrate percentage/different manufacturer.. Ergo, right on! laugh

Originally Posted by MadMooner
Went to TS and got a jug of the Gordons 400 Amine and a new sprayer.

Weed n Feed should just drop the "N".
Smart man - good job..

Originally Posted by stomatador
Get the 46% 2,4-D from Tractor Supply AND a good backpack (4 gal) sprayer.
Fine for a very small lawn - but ND just added what looks like 2-3 acres of seed..
Also, add a bit of surfactant to help the water stick better (some just use dish soap). Lastly, it's more effective if you spray while they're blooming.
.......AND when the temp is north of 75 degrees..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I get my 2,4-D in a 2 1/2 gallon jug from my local COOP and mix my own. Not sure about the 3 or whatever ounces per gallon of water, I go by the glugs. I mix mine up pretty strong and them yellow devils don't stand a chance.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got ready to do some spraying yesterday with my ATV mounted sprayer. I have already used it this year, but yesterday it had pin holes in all the hoses. Looked like somebody poked them with a needle. Could not see them until the pressure hit and then I took a shower. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,566
Posts18,453,797
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.