Print Thread
Hop To
L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well the other day i did a little bit of gun selling,trading with my nephew. I ended up with a nice early Mauser rifle made around 1912 by Emil Kerner, It comes with the original scope and claw mounts,and in the early 35 whelen magnum smile ,known as the 9.3 x 62 !!!!!It has a octagon to round barrel with raised ramp. I know its not a Savage but its a cool rifle,and shoots 1" groups at about 80 yards. Heres a few pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Set triggers and original scope and mounts. Different but cool in it's on way. Nice!!

Steve

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sbrown
Set triggers and original scope and mounts. Different but cool in it's on way. Nice!!

Steve

That's putting it mildly. MOST folks have never heard of an Emil Kerner, let alone seen one. I used to know a high end gunsmith who worked for the most part on SXS double rifles and drillings. This is the ONLY bolt gun he would consider working on. I had a black diamond Winchester trap gun that needed a little work. He just laughed, took the gun and TWO YEARS later called and said it was done. All it needed was a safety button.

Nice going Don.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I call that a cool one. After shooting my 250 for years, that would probably rattle my eyeballs loose, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That's a neat barrel shape, with no hard shoulder when it changes from octagon to round.

Neat rifle!

Having tried to find mauser claw mounts at one time, it is a treasure to find it in complete original condition...think the recoil pad was an afterthought?

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
here's my krieghoff sporter..rebored to 284W, but that's why I bought it!
[Linked Image]

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Very nice, Don. You gotta love a side-paneled Mauser with a barrel key. DST's are icing on the cake. Once you work with a Mauser with DST's, you don't want to go back to single triggers. Why they never really caught on in America I'll never know.

What make is the scope? Hensoldt? I bet recoil in that trim rifle chambered in 9.3x62 is an attention getter!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've heard it mentioned you have a couple other nice guns too. :))))

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's kinda cool. Does the tab on the forearm go into a dovetail in the barrel to hold the forearm on? Not that I'm suggesting you take it down.. just figured somebody would know. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
That slotted key goes through a staple-looking protuberance affixed to the bottom of the barrel. Not really necessary with the Mauser system and its action screws. Kind of a "belts and suspenders" arrangement.

I'm surprised nobody commented about those early version of see-through mounts. Without altering the angle of the bolt handle to clear a low mounted scope, they had to use really high rings. I guess they figured since they were doing that they might as well put some peek-a-boo holes in them. Or maybe it was simply a tiny weight saving feature.

It would appear too that the trigger guard on Don's rifle started out as a military one with the sling hole in the leading edge that the gunsmith filed away to make it more svelte. I've done two like that and in the end the front of the trigger guard gets pretty thin. Compare that to the Krieghof below it which sports the commercial Mauser trigger guard.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/23/16.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JeffG

Having tried to find mauser claw mounts at one time, it is a treasure to find it in complete original condition...think the recoil pad was an afterthought?

I once bought a similar Mauser that was missing the claw mounts. I found a scope and rings in another junk pile and proceeded to hand file a set of mounts for them to fit into. Took a lot of time and a lot of cussing. I swore I would never do it again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No shame in owning a classic caliber like the 9.3x62, Don. Good horse trading.

Amazingly Otto Bock designed that round in Europe two years before Springfield released the "06" on this side of the waters, well before Col. Whelen began his wildcatting ways.

My 9.2x62 Mannlicher stocked CZ turned my head a year back and seriously distracted me.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Your a lucky man Don. Sure would like to see it when you get it cleaned up.

L
Loggah Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Stan,Its probably as clean as i am going to make it ! next time you come over this way you can check it out grin Gary , the scope is a Voigtlander & Sohn Braunschweig on the other side it says Skopar E No.19887, on the back ring where it turns it has a 0 with a +3 on one side and a -3 on the other side. On the front turret there is 100-200 and the little boss with the screw above it has a 3 near it. I believe the 3 is the power. The recoil pad looks to have been installed years ago, and there are no names or numbers on it,so i have no clue if original or not. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't matter how clean she is or when the pad was added or the numbers. She's got good bones and is beautiful.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.