Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was in the woods at 5:10, sitting where I stayed until noon yesterday (but at a different tree). In the past I've discovered that sometimes a gobbler will show up after I leave, so I figured I might meet him there this morning.

At 5:45 everything was still quiet except for the songbirds. The fields were fairly light, but the woods were still fairly dark, so I decided to give a little tree yelp. Nothing responded, at least vocally, so I'm sitting there for a couple of minutes when suddenly a gobbler is 20 feet from me to my right, standing beside the tree I was calling from yesterday and behind a small bush only big enough to hide him. He must have seen my head slowly turn because he putted, turned, and flew down an old trail.

He never gobbled, and I don't know where he came from. I just know he was standing 22 feet away at my extreme right. I stayed there for an hour and 15 minutes calling very softly occasionally. Then I moved about 200 yards to the spot where I killed a bird two weeks ago. Three hours later I spotted him coming, but he was about 60-70 yards away and heading for a field. I couldn't get him to change his mind, so an hour later I left, being careful to take the long way out so I'd reduce the chances of running into him. He'll be there tomorrow. If only he would gobble. Even once! It's so much easier if they gobble!

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
I was in the woods at 5:10, sitting where I stayed until noon yesterday (but at a different tree). In the past I've discovered that sometimes a gobbler will show up after I leave, so I figured I might meet him there this morning.

At 5:45 everything was still quiet except for the songbirds. The fields were fairly light, but the woods were still fairly dark, so I decided to give a little tree yelp. Nothing responded, at least vocally, so I'm sitting there for a couple of minutes when suddenly a gobbler is 20 feet from me to my right, standing beside the tree I was calling from yesterday and behind a small bush only big enough to hide him. He must have seen my head slowly turn because he putted, turned, and flew down an old trail.

He never gobbled, and I don't know where he came from. I just know he was standing 22 feet away at my extreme right. I stayed there for an hour and 15 minutes calling very softly occasionally. Then I moved about 200 yards to the spot where I killed a bird two weeks ago. Three hours later I spotted him coming, but he was about 60-70 yards away and heading for a field. I couldn't get him to change his mind, so an hour later I left, being careful to take the long way out so I'd reduce the chances of running into him. He'll be there tomorrow. If only he would gobble. Even once! It's so much easier if they gobble!

Steve.

I wouldn't consider that a failure at all. I think it's a lesson learned. It took me 3 days of hunting to get a bird in NY this year. On the 3rd day I left my stand to do some walking. After 15 or so minutes a bird gobbled unsolicited downhill from me. I set up and yelped a couple times on my box call. He gobbled again from below. I din't respond. A few minutes passed and I saw movement. It was a 20 pound longbeard with a 9" beard at 39 yards. Bang flop....BUT then the bird from below gobbled again. TWO birds. Just about the same thing happened on the 3rd day. BOTH days the birds gobbled on their own. Had they not, I would have never known they were there. I honestly feel your frustration. I only heard 3 gobbles here in NH. I believe the season should be moved into the month of April. I think with the climate changing, so is all wildlife habits. I may be wrong, but that's my belief. Best of luck to you.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
No failure what so ever. I've had a hand full of Toms come in silent . Once I had a Jake come in Gobbling 30 yards front of me only to find out the big boy came in silent behind me. I'm guessing old Tom let the young one do the talking then would take over with the hens. Big boy busted me. Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You guys are right. It wasn't really failure. It was a success on at least four levels: (
1.) It's one more endorsement of my Northern Scratchbox turkey call. He bought it, but I didn't close the deal.

(2.) It's also a success in that I had figured out where he'd be, and the place I could call him to.

(3.) I got the second look at him even after I spooked him, and know he's still in the area. In fact, tied pretty closely because I accidentally bumped him the day before as well while trying to get in front of him. Problem was, he changed course.

(4.) And, I often say "Close counts only in horseshoes and turkey hunting." To have him at under 10 yards is pretty good, and really doesn't matter whether I killed him or not.

I switched strategies today and I think it might pay off in another day or two. I set up where he sometimes roosts. Around 7:30 I had two come in. One was a hen for sure. Later I saw a hen go into the field to feed. I cleared a path to the tree I plan to sit at. Weather should be good tomorrow, maybe Friday. We'll see. The season ends May 31, Tuesday.

One more thing. This isn't the second or third day I've been hunting this guy. I've been back about three quarters of the days since I filled my first tag on May 10. It's just that I've spooked him two days in a row. Today he got a little break from me, and I know where he likes to be. Maybe the tables will turn. Even if they don't, it has been a good season despite the fact that I've heard gobbles from the roost only twice all season. The turkeys have been acting like it's June.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
You guys are right. It wasn't really failure. It was a success on at least four levels: (
1.) It's one more endorsement of my Northern Scratchbox turkey call. He bought it, but I didn't close the deal.

(2.) It's also a success in that I had figured out where he'd be, and the place I could call him to.

(3.) I got the second look at him even after I spooked him, and know he's still in the area. In fact, tied pretty closely because I accidentally bumped him the day before as well while trying to get in front of him. Problem was, he changed course.

(4.) And, I often say "Close counts only in horseshoes and turkey hunting." To have him at under 10 yards is pretty good, and really doesn't matter whether I killed him or not.

I switched strategies today and I think it might pay off in another day or two. I set up where he sometimes roosts. Around 7:30 I had two come in. One was a hen for sure. Later I saw a hen go into the field to feed. I cleared a path to the tree I plan to sit at. Weather should be good tomorrow, maybe Friday. We'll see. The season ends May 31, Tuesday.

One more thing. This isn't the second or third day I've been hunting this guy. I've been back about three quarters of the days since I filled my first tag on May 10. It's just that I've spooked him two days in a row. Today he got a little break from me, and I know where he likes to be. Maybe the tables will turn. Even if they don't, it has been a good season despite the fact that I've heard gobbles from the roost only twice all season. The turkeys have been acting like it's June.

Steve.

That's a helluva great attitude and strategy. I personally think you will succeed. Even if you don't end up killing it, you'll never forget the experience. Best of luck.

Steve

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
"Old Archaeopteryx" is a sneaky mofo when he needs to be.

Had singles run up to me and never chirp, but heard the hurried running in the dry leaves. Fan and split.

Had flocks walk up to within feet of me and never utter a noise. Just lookin for me and my dinosaur small talk.

They gotta win sometimes. Keeps us interested.

Last edited by WillARights; 05/27/16.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
this has happened to me many times and this is why I love Turkey Hunting

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry, but 60-70 yards out in a field is a dead bird here. The pattern is .224" in diameter at the muzzle, 30 yards, or 130 yards.

Unless I feel like being completely humbled and I take the bow...

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4ager
Sorry, but 60-70 yards out in a field is a dead bird here. The pattern is .224" in diameter at the muzzle, 30 yards, or 130 yards.

Unless I feel like being completely humbled and I take the bow...

First, I said he was 60-70 yards away, headed for a field. I don't know if he ever got to the field or not, and I never said I saw him in the field. If I had, I might have had a chance of calling him.

Second, a .224 pattern (or .177, or .244, or .257, or...) is illegal in many states, including where I hunt. With a shotgun I've only ever taken two shots beyond 35 yards, and usually I like them at 30. They fall down dead every time.

Besides, when I saw that bird at 60-70 yards, I don't think you could have shot him. He was one the move and I got only glimpses of him as he moved through the leafed-out vegetation.

But carry on.
Steve.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That's not a failure. That's a hunt!

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have to say, at 60yds, with my shotgun, I'd have taken a whack I think. The more I pattern the more I learn about my gun.

That said, I'd rather pop him at 25-30.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
That's not a failure. That's a hunt!

Yes, it was. It gave me confidence I'd nail him in the next few days, but it never happened.

Originally Posted by tzone
I have to say, at 60yds, with my shotgun, I'd have taken a whack I think. The more I pattern the more I learn about my gun.

That said, I'd rather pop him at 25-30.

My personal rule is 35 yards. The longest shots I've ever taken were 40 yards and 42 yards. The 42 yard shot I mis-estimated. I thought it was 35 yards.

I prefer them under 30, but will not hesitate to shoot at 35. The closest I've ever passed on one was 15-20 yards. I don't remember why.

If I had shot at every bird I thought was 40-50 yards away I would have a lot more beards and spurs in my collection, but I would also have some misses and some wounded birds. That, I don't want to do. Therefore I'm conservative in my shot selection.

Steve.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A hunt that you make it back to the truck is always a success. X10 to the guys that fight rattlers, copperhead, and cotton mouth for the best tree to lean against.

Everyday Hunter, I respect your limits on shooting both near and far. Nobody believes that the can miss at 5 yards until they do it twice.

tzone, I'm with you to. I burnt a lot of Federal HW #7 on paper this year. There was 3 birds killed with my little 20ga this year. Mine was at 58 yards and folded without a flop. Skinning showed the neck bones busted in 3 places and 38 holes in the head and neck. And even at that range that little #7 had enough energy to bust the larger wing bone. Second bird, the one that took 3 years and 19 hunts was hammered at 18yards and damn near took out 3" of neck. Last bird was a spot and stalk. I thought they were within 30 yards of the old pond bank. I told my buddy who was on his second hunt for anything to walk up over the rise and when the head popped up to plant the dot and hit the trigger. He did just that but the toms had made it a little farther out. Results were the same, folded but gave 2 wing flaps and nothing more. That one ended up at 55 yards.
Sense then I've been putting out crow decoys at 50 to 70 yards and it flattens them. This goose season I'll really test them out. When my buddy wings one with his 3 1/2" 10ga and it hits the water swimming at 50 I'll let him waste 3 more of his spendy rounds then calmly pick the 20ga up and kill it at 60+ yards.

Last edited by Les7603006; 06/02/16. Reason: I'm good at math nit speeling

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm ready to flatten some with my lil 20 next year

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I used to be very conservative as well. I practice A LOT more now. I'm very very confident of my load to 50 yds in almost any conditions. In a field I'm now confident to 60 yds. I wouldn't shoot past that on purpose. I do now carry a rangefinder and that's helped greatly!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Les7603006

Everyday Hunter, I respect your limits on shooting both near and far. Nobody believes that the can miss at 5 yards until they do it twice.

haha! I hear ya! I've missed PLENTY.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
I'm ready to flatten some with my lil 20 next year

Once you do, you'll think pretty hard about going back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A rangefinder will be on me from now on. It's easy to tell 30 from 40 but over that it gets harder. In calm conditions I'll do 60 all day. Throw in a normal Minnesota wind and your looking at 3'+ wind drift. Just like LR rifle, it takes a lot of spent primers and powder. I'll strive to keep turkeys under 50 but on a hit goose in confident that I can make its head bounce off the water at 70. I have fired hundreds of rounds below TSS thru a 12ga and never seen what the 20ga / fed HW #7 has shown me. I can not wait to roll some TSS for the demon.
Ha. I'm going to be banned from old gobbler if they ever see that post.

Want To Buy;
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager

Where did you think this thread was about you? Don't patronize anyone here with your 'sorry' crap.

.224? The thought of chasing Toms with a scoped centerfire has so little appeal to me you couldn't talk me into it.

A gobbling Tom at 30 yards and I'm near cardiac arrest,

130 yards, The game hasn't even started yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could kill 5 a day around here with a .36 cal front stuffer and a buckhorn rear for a year straight if rifles were allowed. The fun is when they come in silent from behind you and let one rip at 3 feet away. When you can feel the shockwave on the back of your neck from a double gobble, all you can do is close your eyes and pray to God to stop your heart from pounding so the boss can't hear it.

Want To Buy;
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

625 members (12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,836
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.