Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm looking for a good, reputable outfitter, with a high success rate for grizzly's...for 2017 or 2018. Can you guys give me a few suggestions to look into?

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PM sent

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
True inland grizzly or coastal brown bear, too? There are some screaming deals for late season brown bears that are too close to the coast for grizzly status in the record books, but too small for potential B&C type trophies.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
True inland grizzly or coastal brown bear, too? There are some screaming deals for late season brown bears that are too close to the coast for grizzly status in the record books, but too small for potential B&C type trophies.

What constitutes a screaming deal?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Depending on how you want to hunt, IE cruise rivers and float early and late, bait hunt, watch berry patches on the tundra, I have a couple friends who guide that have high success rates and reasonable prices. They typically kill representative specimen size bears, 7-8.5' with the occasional 9'er due to the areas they operate in but the price reflects the lowered record book potential.

If money isn't a big deal I have another friend who only takes a few hunters a year and charges what I consider a lot of money. But he consistently puts guys on some monsters.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Phil Shoemaker. Listed as 458win on the forum.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dave Morris is another option.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bellydeep

5-7k

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Areas like Kodiak with tremendous trophy potential start at 15 or more...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

5-7k

That's not bad. I'll keep that in mind for the next couple years. It'd be a good first hunt.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

5-7k

That's not bad. I'll keep that in mind for the next couple years. It'd be a good first hunt.

That's considerably better than "not bad". grin

Art, is a 9ft bear out of the question in those areas?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SKane

5-7k

That's considerably better than "not bad". grin

Art, is a 9ft bear out of the question in those areas?

Not out, but not likely. Realize too, the areas are in "predator control" units and they could lose that status at any time because those areas have shown significant improvement in ungulate populations...

Also, because the areas have been in that status with liberal seasons and conditions a lot of the better bears have been found.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That makes sense. Thanks.

WWP53D
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Point of the last note is the fact these are "The Good Old Days" of Alaska bear hunting and they are winding down. The highly regulated areas will remain awesome, but the rest of the State is seeing numbers dropping back into the reasonable range...

It is not a good time to wait...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might be time to fill the suitcase with money and go see Phil. laugh laugh

WWP53D
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Actually, not a reflection on Phil, at all, but his hunts are not declining in quality nor will they anytime soon. The predator control areas had high numbers and are now coming down rapidly.

Back in the day the brown bear limit was 2 per year. That got shifted to one every four years, pretty much statewide. When the populations got out of hand in some areas they slowly started raising the limits in those areas.

First it was one a year in those areas and then they added that those bears would not be counted against the "one every four years" areas. Then they started the predator control units and have bumped the kill in those areas by raising the limits in some to two per year and allowing the sales of the hides.

They even have limited areas where it is legal to snare brown bears...

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I read somewhere that one can't mass-produce quality hunting...or something similar. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to those that have pm'ed me.

Doesn't matter, fall or spring. Whenever the best chance to see numbers, or realize success. I can go either way.

And I'm interested in spot and stalk.

Last edited by yukonal; 05/25/16.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Are you stuck on Alaska? BC?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually, not a reflection on Phil, at all, but his hunts are not declining in quality nor will they anytime soon. The predator control areas had high numbers and are now coming down rapidly.

Back in the day the brown bear limit was 2 per year. That got shifted to one every four years, pretty much statewide. When the populations got out of hand in some areas they slowly started raising the limits in those areas.

First it was one a year in those areas and then they added that those bears would not be counted against the "one every four years" areas. Then they started the predator control units and have bumped the kill in those areas by raising the limits in some to two per year and allowing the sales of the hides.

They even have limited areas where it is legal to snare brown bears...

Unfortunately game management in this state is based more on politics than biology.
As much as it pains me to say it, when it comes to bears the Feds are currently doing a better job than the state.
Although the season is still open, all of our clients filled out and are gone and word from F&G is that the results of both the peninsula and Kodiak look great. Success rate and size wise. Half of our client's bears will make B&C and I am aware of many others well over 28 inches and one close to 30"
On Kodiak it was their best season ever, with a high success rate and 20% were boars with skulls over 28" and seven went over 29" !!

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 16 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.