Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Good and cheap is an oxymoron don't you know?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
CCI: Always been good, always been expensive.
Yep, CCI has been good since I was a kid. Remington and Winchester were good back then too but both have gone to shyt now.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Before the big rimfire panic buying started in late 2008, I used to buy only one kind of hollow-point Long Rifle ammo, Winchester 40-grain Power Points, because they were accurate in all my rifles and handguns, though they didn't beat CCI Mini-Mags in some guns.

But PP's disappeared and the newly-produced stuff that has shown up now and then hasn't been as accurate, at least in most guns. Meanwhile, CCI Mini-Mags continue to be very consistent. I recently shot some from at least a decade ago against some newly-produced ammo, and couldn't find much difference.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
By the sounds of it I'm glad I still have a good supply of older Power Points. My CZ 452 shoots a lot of ammo well but the PP is nice for hunting.

What do you guys think of the Velocitor's and the high velocity segmented 32 gr hollow point, the one that breaks into 3 pieces?

Gerry.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried some Velocitors before the panic started and was not impressed. Fast, loud, but not real accurate.
I grew up shooting CCI Mini Mags exclusively because that's what my rifle liked. Later on, tried the new Win PP 40s mentioned above, again, they shot really well in my OTHER 22 LR -- which also likes Mini Mag HPs a lot.

However, I have not seen either for sale retail in at least three years now, I scored my last brick of 40 PPs about two thirds of the way into Obamapanic 1.

With prices the way they are, makes more sense just to shoot the darn Fireball.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If you thought finding .22 ammo was tough during Obama's 8 years wait till the Hildebeast assumes the oval office. I have a decent supply but plan to add another 2K or so well before November rolls around.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dave,

CCI Mini-Mags have been pretty available lately on the Internet, whether sold in CCI boxes or the "Troy Landry" Swamp People boxes. Usually the Troy Landry version is slightly higher-priced, but sometimes not. I've been picking it up here and there when the price is right, and have a couple bricks on hand now.

One interesting sidelight is that performance is just about exactly the same in both accuracy and velocity to a partial box of Mini-Mags I found in my garage that must be close to 30 years old....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
That is about what I have found mule deer! I have some pretty old stuff and some new. It all shoots fine.

Molon Labe
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
CCI SV is what I now use since my source of CCI 40gr HP Subsonic (NOT the "Quiet" stuff!) dried up.

I recently sighted in a new Ruger American Rimfire Compact with a Leupold fixed 8x AO using the blue box SV.

I shot a 3/8" group @ 50 yards with it, so I moved to 110 yards and shot a 1.25" group. It'll do. grin

My LGS carries a lot of CCI along with Fed, Win, Aguila, Eley, and Rem so I try various types with each firearm.

So far, CCI is the "go to" maker.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
CCI Mini-Mags are the only thing that functions in all of my auto laoders - pistols and rifles. That is what I buy when I can find them. I use Stingers in my bolt guns. I have noticed that quite a few people pitch a fit about Remington Golden Bullets but they do nearly as well in my auto loaders too.

I recently purchased two packages of Federal Auto Match and wish I hadn't. There is nothing 'auto' about them. I wrote Federal about the issues and got no response.

I have tried several off shore brands in recent years because that was what I could find. Generally speaking they leave my firearms really dirty. It has stuck me as odd that foreign makers can supply 22 ammo but domestic stock has been nearly impossible to find.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My favorite rimfire ammo. Picked up a brick of Velocitors and MiniMags here recently.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I am replete with CCI ammo thanks to some of the guys' recommendations here.

It took me a while to build a good and varied stock, but I'm set now, since the .22lr crunch seems to have subsided. However, some suppliers still think they're holding gold.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gerrygoat

What do you guys think of the Velocitor's and the high velocity segmented 32 gr hollow point, the one that breaks into 3 pieces?

gerrygoat;
Good morning to you sir, I trust the day is as nice in your part of the world as it's shaping up to be here.

We've been running Velocitor as our mineral imbalance injector medicine for the local yard coyotes. Honestly I was so impressed with the initial kill that I emailed CCI - lung shot at 60 meters on a trotting adult who saw me and was heading out - dropped it instantly, tail in the air vibrating reaction. cool

I believe I'm 3 for 3 currently with Velocitor ammo now....

When we did feral pigeon control for a turkey farmer friend back in the '80's I used Stingers exclusively and the results never failed to make us grin.

Anyway to the OP's question, here's a test target shot by our eldest daughter using her new to her then RAR Compact. She was using a front rest and rabbit ear bag as well, but they were on the tailgate of the pickup and she was leaning when she shot the 10 shot groups.

The range was 27 long steps for me, but I'm 5'5" so maybe 25yds?

[Linked Image]

There's certainly a trend in the CCI stuff being the pick of the litter with her rifle anyway.

All the best to you folks this summer gerrygoat.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
You guys need to try some Aquila Interceptor: 40gr @1400fps - good stuff out of my 22s.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Dwayne, things have been pretty warm here but I bet not nearly as hot as where you are in the Okanagan. Thanks for the info on the Velocitors, sounds like your local coyotes dislike them smile After looking at your daughter's target it would appear that I should be picking up some Mini Mag's and Blazer's.

Hope you have a good summer too and have figured out the new on line LEH draw.......

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CCI is by-FAR the best, most-consistent reasonably priced ammo I shoot.

Pretty much my experience over many years and with multiple firearms. Federal would be my second choice.

Scored a brick of SV for $35 a few months ago. It is one of the most consistantly accurate rounds I've ever found in that price range.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Always loved the way Mini-Mags seemed to hit a jackrabbit with a little more authority than other HV HP ammo. Accuracy has always been fine for hunting such critters.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Stingers will hit like a hornet it seems like. Coyote splatt'n SOB them stingers are.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CCI RF ammo sucks....

[Linked Image]

...the life out of critters.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
got back into shooting .22 bout 4 yrs ago
shot alot of different brands and I mean alot.....
cci sgb, blazer and 40gr minimags all do 1235 fps and hover around sub 1/2" to 5/8" for 10 shot groups @ 50yds at basically the same poi with the same poa

the velocitor is a 3/8" to 1/2" 10 shot group @50yds and does 1435fps
I try to buy velocitor whenever I can find it
but I will buy the others also

8 clicks down to get back to the 1235fps stuff zero and 2 clicks left

out of a savage mkII with a cheapo bushnell sportveiw on 9 power

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10Glocks, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 53 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,978
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.