Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I drew a Colorado deer tag for units 69, 691, 84, 86, 861. That includes the Wet Mountains, the Wet Mountain Valley and the east side of the Sangre de Cristos. The area goes from Slide Mountain to the Arkansas River and from Pueblo to the crest of the Sangre de Cristos. It's a huge area.

I own a second home north of Rosita, which is in the middle of the units. It's rare to visit the house and not see deer from the house. But the area around the house is a no-hunting area. I'm fairly familiar with some of the country because I have done a bunch of backpacking and fishing there. It's rare to see deer anywhere except near the house.

I have never hunted the area. So I'm curious if anyone else has hunted there. Any tips for the area.

KC confused

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Wow! 249 visits and not a single response. Is there no one who hunts the mountains west of Pueblo?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have done some riding in the Music Pass /Medano Pass area,but can't say I have seen a lot of deer, or even a few.Years ago I did some ML elk hunting around Medano ,but can't recall seeing any deer. I actually saw more bear.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have not hunted it, but I do climb a bunch in the area that is unit 84. Lotta game in there, especially in the areas all around Greenhorn Mountain. I've seen some biga$$ mulie bucks in that area, along with sheep, elk, and black bear.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do some turkey hunting on Medano Pass road. I have seen lots of deer, elk, antelope, bear, and lion down on the private ranches. Mt Lions more above the ranches. I have seen some bucks on Mtn. Seven. Good size but maybe 130 -140 score. Pretty much stuck to the Medano Pass road or the Music pass trail. There was sheep on Mtn 7 too.

IC B2

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antlers
I have not hunted it, but I do climb a bunch in the area that is unit 84. Lotta game in there, especially in the areas all around Greenhorn Mountain. I've seen some biga$$ mulie bucks in that area, along with sheep, elk, and black bear.

antlers:

I'm considering backpacking from Greenhorn Mountain to Apache Creek. Or maybe hiking up from Badito Cone. Does that make sense?

Last fall I heard some guys talking in the Rustlers Roost Restaurant about getting big bull elk ( and seeing nice bucks) on a private ranch near Gardner Butte. I wonder if it might be worth the effort to hike the public side of fence line in the foothills Northwest of Badito Cone?

KC

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
I do some turkey hunting on Medano Pass road. I have seen lots of deer, elk, antelope, bear, and lion down on the private ranches. Mt Lions more above the ranches. I have seen some bucks on Mtn. Seven. Good size but maybe 130 -140 score. Pretty much stuck to the Medano Pass road or the Music pass trail. There was sheep on Mtn 7 too.

snake:

I thought I knew all the mountains in the Sangre de Cristos. Guess not. Where is Mtn. Seven?

KC

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have done some riding in the Music Pass /Medano Pass area,but can't say I have seen a lot of deer, or even a few.Years ago I did some ML elk hunting around Medano ,but can't recall seeing any deer. I actually saw more bear.

Vince I'm concerned about being tempted to stray onto Wolf Springs Ranch. So I think I'll avoid the Medano Pass area. I've climbed all the mountains up around Sand Creek Lakes and I've hiked from Music Pass down into the Sand Dunes. All I've seen there was sheep.

KC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KC
I'm considering backpacking from Greenhorn Mountain to Apache Creek. Or maybe hiking up from Badito Cone. Does that make sense?

Yep. Either one. Beautiful country in those areas with lotsa big game.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had the GPS maked as mt 7. The mountain is just northeast of the sand dunes and is named "mount herard" We went to medano lake and hiked in from there. I did not want to get on the wolf springs ranch.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Some day I will have to relate the story of my encounter with a big bull bison that went thru the fence from Wolf Springs.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
I had the GPS maked as mt 7. The mountain is just northeast of the sand dunes and is named "mount herard" We went to medano lake and hiked in from there. I did not want to get on the wolf springs ranch.

Snake:

Yeah. OK. I know where Mount Herard is. Thanks.

KC

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Some day I will have to relate the story of my encounter with a big bull bison that went thru the fence from Wolf Springs.

I bet that makes a good campfire story. I'm looking forward to hearing it some day.

KC

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
KC, I may have missed it, but which season. I've spent a lot of time in 84 and 86 during September and have seen some nice bucks. I would not know much about later seasons.

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hunt41Ram
KC, I may have missed it, but which season. I've spent a lot of time in 84 and 86 during September and have seen some nice bucks. I would not know much about later seasons.

Third Season. The rut should be starting, but they may have dropped down to lower elevations.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hiked in there a few times when I lived in Colorado back in the late 1980s. The memories of some of those mule deer bucks that I saw still haunt me. In those days, my deer hunting partner was my late father-in-law and he was in his early 70s. He was spry and alert, but not capable of doing the hikes, so I never tried to get a tag for that unit. Hope that you can find one of those big bucks for yourself.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Yep, in third season they won't be where I see them in September. Good luck on the hunt.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by KC

Vince I'm concerned about being tempted to stray onto Wolf Springs Ranch. So I think I'll avoid the Medano Pass area. I've climbed all the mountains up around Sand Creek Lakes and I've hiked from Music Pass down into the Sand Dunes. All I've seen there was sheep.

KC

Wolf Springs is well fence. Pretty hard to stray in there,except maybe where a buffalo went thru. I have hunted along the fence several times.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Macey drainage.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Get a bunch of your friends together, form a non-profit, and buy the Wolf Springs Ranch. The seller is asking $54.7M for 56,000+/- acres, close to 90 square miles. Pricey, but you'd be guaranteed a place to hunt and you should get a lot of landowner tags.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (14idaho, 35, 280shooter, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 701 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.