Print Thread
Hop To
G
g5m Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
The definition of the word 'revenant' is certainly pertinent to this movie. (I looked it up, too).
It's a story of survival with multiple harrowing experiences. It's long. And there's no real down time in it. Blood, gore, surviving weather and men. Pretty much based on a true story.

Leonardo DeCaprio may get an Oscar for it and he certainly deserves the shot at it for this work. Tom Hardy, too.

Well worth seeing.

Retired cat herder.

GB2

G
g5m Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Add: Also a bear mauling that sets up the path of the story.
And unfriendly actions with the native folks.
And absolutely beautiful scenery and camera work.

It is just one fine movie and anyone who has any inkling of love for the beauty of the woods will likely find it to be special.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I saw it a coupla' days ago, and agree with everything you've posted.

Nit Picky, "historical accuracy" obsessive, types need not apply. Catalogue studying,self appointed historic ML arms ex-spurts should stay away.

MAKING the damned thing was obviously one harrowing, and physically demanding effort.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Do not care for DiCaprio.
Thank goodness he wasn't in this film wink
Decent flick, some errors but forgivable.
Not like we needed to see him dry out for 2 days between soakings (other errors as well).
Most movies IMHO not worth rental price, saw this at theater and actually didn't feel ripped off.
Definitely not a feel good deal.
Took my oldest daughter (over 21). She loved it.
Strange kid.
Takes after her mother.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/26/16.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't like DiCaprio, am a stickler for historical accuracy, so will wait to maybe see the DVD. DiCaprio experienced a chinook while in Canada and freaked-out because he thought it was sudden global warming. Won't pay the full price to reward that kind of stupidity. :-)

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nit Picky, "historical accuracy" obsessive, types need not apply.

Yeah I figured but got it for free on a shared Amazon account and my wife wanted to watch it so...

I'm not even a history buff and there was so much crap that even I caught that it was overall not enjoyable. Had they not based the film on real people and actual events (and left out the crappy political commentary on native Americans/westward expansion) it would have been better but when filmmakers take real people and actual events and then ignore the known facts and make up what they want then I can't handle it. Just make your own movie.

Timeline of the west was all screwed up:
Massacres by the army and the collecting of buffalo skulls for fertilizer (his haunting dreams)weren't happening in the 1820's etc. There was more but I realize nobody cares about that kind of reality.

But...

Hugh Glass was a real person. We'll never know what really happened and the myth about it is pretty fantastic... but we do know he didn't come back to kill Fitzgerald (and didn't kill Fitzgerald at all) for killing his fictional son. So that being the main plot is retarded. It's like if I made the movie Apollo 13 except in my version Tom Hanks kills Jack Swiggert in the LEM because he porked his wife the week before. Would that be entertaining? Maybe, but it didn't happen so it'd be stupid to anyone remotely familiar with the story.

Also I think DiCaprio is generally a good actor but didn't really care for his performance. I thought the other guy did a better job (Hardy?)

The bear scene and the first attack on the trappers was pretty cool.

Last edited by huntinaz; 03/27/16.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I just watched it and glad I didn't go to the theater for it.

Cinematography/landscape was awesome. I think they tried to get a little to artsy-fartsy with some of the 'dream' crap.

It was ok but certainly not what I hoped for.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Told ya so

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
The cinematography was Excellent, the plot was boring. They could have told the same story in <45 minutes. Typical these days...

Last edited by BALLISTIK; 04/02/16.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
+1 Ballistik, Went in hoping for the next Jeremiah Johnson - that is was not.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

T
T
They whispered too much......couldn't hear half what they said

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+ 2

Went in hoping for the next Jeremiah Johnson - that is was not.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed, by the time it was over didn't care.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just read the book (sitting in the Antelope blind). Decent but the ending could have been better. It's no Liver Eating Johnson for sure.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I read a Western Magazine not to long ago about the real story. Hugh Glass didn't have a son, but it says he did go after his rifle that was stolen from him. Not sure how true that is.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
G5m: The Revenant was/is a superb movie!
Last time I checked it had earned more than $550,000,000.00 (five hundred and fifty million dollars) so far!
AND... it earned four of the top Academy Awards (Oscars!) and numerous other prestigious awards.
A few contraries MAY not have liked it for what ever reasons - but no one can honestly deny that it was not a well done, well acted movie and a well told story with surprises and intense scenes!
You are absolutely correct "The Revenant" was WELL worth seeing.
I don't care much for Leonardo DeCaprio but his performance was excellent and he earned the Oscar!
Tom Hardy was superb as well.
I paid to see it three times and also watched it at my neighbors amazing home theater with 4,000 pixel definition and a "throw rug lifting" sound system!
Good job Hollyweird on this one!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
G5m: The Revenant was/is a superb movie!
Last time I checked it had earned more than $550,000,000.00 (five hundred and fifty million dollars) so far!
AND... it earned four of the top Academy Awards (Oscars!) and numerous other prestigious awards.
A few contraries MAY not have liked it for what ever reasons - but no one can honestly deny that it was not a well done, well acted movie and a well told story with surprises and intense scenes!
You are absolutely correct "The Revenant" was WELL worth seeing.
I don't care much for Leonardo DeCaprio but his performance was excellent and he earned the Oscar!
Tom Hardy was superb as well.
I paid to see it three times and also watched it at my neighbors amazing home theater with 4,000 pixel definition and a "throw rug lifting" sound system!
Good job Hollyweird on this one!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A guy would have to have no knowledge of history, firearms and the outdoors to come up with this post.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (257_X_50, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.