Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
A new pattern I've been working on. Feels like it will be in my pack come elk season.

Details:
9" OAL
62RC S30V Flat Grind, Satin Finish, with File Work
416 SS Bolsters and Pins
Stabilized Dyed Lacewood Scales with Yellow Liners
Hand Carved 8-9 oz Leather Sheath
[Linked Image]

Brad Watkins Custom Knives
www.facebook.com/watkinsknives/
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice work. Really like that blade shape too.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice knife. Are you a lefty?

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the compliments!

No I am not a lefty but I do carry my rifle over my right shoulder. The constant clicking of my rifle stock hitting my knife as I hike is the reason I do a left hip sheath for myself. Truth be told I rarely hunt with my knife on my belt anymore. Most the time it is tucked away in my pack until it is needed. I assume that is why you asked.

Thanks again for the compliments.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
WOW!!! Now THAT is a knife. Good, usable design and first rate build quality from first class materials. Kudos to you sir.

Bushwhacker:
The constant clicking of my rifle stock hitting my knife as I hike is the reason I do a left hip sheath for myself. Truth be told I rarely hunt with my knife on my belt anymore. Most the time it is tucked away in my pack until it is needed.

I also kept my knife and cleaver in my pack when I hunted out west. Too old to do that any more though, but still don't carry my knife on my belt. All skinning, gutting and butchering is done at camp now. I envy those still able to climb mountains and hunt. You are really going to look good using that knife and good luck to you on your hunts.

Last edited by BobWills; 05/23/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Looks like an elk reducer to me. Nice.
Blue????

I must have spent toooo much time in the jungles, swamps and on the mountain tops. I would not be without an easy access working knife (belt, fixed) when out and about, plus something in the pocket, plus small back up in the pack.

A small hidden necker and a small three blade folder will suffice when in a public setting.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
super nice, cool bolster

"The unknowing leading the unwilling to do the unnecessary"

www.dtknives.com
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'm a lefty so the sheath caught my eye as well. Great looking pair, well done sir!

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mighty fine work on both the knife and sheath.

Question for ya'? Why 62Rc rather than 59 or 60?

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Good question. The hardness was chosen based on my anticipated use. This knife as a hunting knife will be primarily for gutting, skinning and cutting meat. Edge retention is more important to me then toughness in this application. I also have found that S30V can take considerable abuse at 62 RC without edge chipping. Chopping and prying are typically the tasks that destroy a high RC knife and neither should be done with a dedicated hunting knife if avoidable. That's why I also make survival knives and camp knives.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,633
Posts18,455,226
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.