Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Going to go look at an older, 90 or 91, 4Runner. Manual with low miles, I believe around 100k.

I am looking for a beat-around / hunting outfit. Something to run around in working and running errands in addition to hunting and fishing.

What do I need to be aware of? What should I look for? Be concerned about with this age Toyota?

Montana MOFO
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Which motor?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just picked up a 95 4Runner with the V6 for the same reasons you're talking about. Mine has 131K on it. The only thing that don't like about mine is that you have to roll the back window down before you can open the "tailgate". The window motor on mine is slower than the second coming of Christ.

Other than that I really like the car, way easier to get around town in that the long box 4-door dodge cummins. It doesn't get as good of mileage as the dodge, but it pretty close.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Avoid the V6, head gasket issues.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
6 cylinder

Montana MOFO
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If it has the 3.0 I'd pass.

Besides it having a head gasket recall they are an absolute fugking dog of a motor.

If you do proceed I'd ask if the head gasket issue was resolved and by which dealership. Then I'd call that dealership with the VIN and confirm.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
What does it typically cost to have the 4Runner head gaskets replaced?

Thinking there might be enough room here, given the price, if that is the only hangup.

I understand the 3.0 is a dog, but I may be able to live with that.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd go 1996 or later with the 3.4L. Had a 1999 4x4 with a 5spd/3.4L and it was a good hunting truck.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Thinking there might be enough room here, given the price, if that is the only hangup.

Not sure. It was free for quite some time.

Once it's done by a dealer, the head gasket issue should be no more.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be ready to bend over when you go to the parts counter, Tojo parts are WAY expensive.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/4Runner/

You can do detailed research by year by clicking on the specific year.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jnyork
Be ready to bend over when you go to the parts counter, Tojo parts are WAY expensive.

I never found this to be true.I had two Toyotas and a Lexus which I did most of the maintenance on.
Of course they didn't need as many parts as the American vehicles I've owned.

Last edited by Sauer200; 05/25/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sauer200

I never found this to be true.I had two Toyotas and a Lexus which I did most of the maintenance on.
Of course they didn't need as many parts as the American vehicles I've owned.

This. Although I've not had buy many parts outside of regular replacement of water pump and timing belt, I haven't found Toyota parts to be any more expensive than your average Ford.

I agree with teh comments on the 3.4L V6. It's bullt proof. I put 200,000 on my T100 and 248K on my current Tundra and it is a great engine.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dealerships are expensive, but online OEM parts are really the same price as Ford, Chevy etc. Any dealership is usually robbery.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had a 95 toyota truck with the 3.0 liter engine. At about 190,000 miles I had the head gasket issue. Near the rear main seal the aluminum on the block had corroded and that is where the leak was. A couple of mechanics told me they would not guarantee their work because of this so I did not replace the gasket. Instead I used a 'nano technology' gunk that you poured in the radiator. It worked to stop the leak of the head gasket. It also plugged both the radiator and the heater core which I had to replace.

I sold it at 225,000 miles and the guy who I sold it too now has over 300,000 on that motor. Go figure.

I really liked that little truck, I felt it had enough power for what I expected it to do, but I moved up from a 4 cylinder Nissan to it so I may have had low expectations. MPG was only about 20 and that was a disappointment.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Oh brother.

Dave

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Don"t buy that Jap junk... grin

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

had an '89 V6 4Rnner

was 3.0...thats the motor that had head gasket issues

3.4 has more balls...manual shift is a ++

3.4L also has a T/belt...change every 90K or so...

currently drivin' a Taco V6 3.4 w/224K on it.......5 speed

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it's the 22R motor with a manual jump on it

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Still driving my '98 4Runner after 18 years. It's a stick w/ the 3.4 L V6. It's been great.

Last edited by bowmanh; 05/25/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My daughter has a '90 4Runner with the 22RE and 5 speed, great truck. She put 31" tires on it against my instruction and that kind of killed the power and mileage but it's still a great truck. It has 4.11's, they really need 4.56's for 31" tires and 4.88's for 33" tires.

In Toyota Land the 3.0 or "3.Slow" is a known turd. Toyota did head gasket replacement under recall/warranty but that's probably ended. Lots have wiring issues too I seem to recall, but can't quote specifics.

3.4 is way better, but watch for cracks around the balancer keyway, that part is expensive. 3.4 started in '96 in the Runner I believe.

Buy your parts from Rock auto, they're quite often the best price, sometimes by a lot.

Deus Juvat

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Going to go look at an older, 90 or 91, 4Runner. Manual with low miles, I believe around 100k.

I am looking for a beat-around / hunting outfit. Something to run around in working and running errands in addition to hunting and fishing.

What do I need to be aware of? What should I look for? Be concerned about with this age Toyota?

First and foremost, it needs to have the 22RE... That about sums it up...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
22 cubic inches?

Sounds about right for a Toyota.....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Flave is too nice. The 3.0 is a big pile of dog chit....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
22 cubic inches?

Sounds about right for a Toyota.....

2200 cc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 90 4runner. It has 328k miles, 200 of them have been pure punishment.

I've lost a speed sensor in the rearend, an alternator, the heater switch is getting temperamental, I seized up the distributor shaft bearing @ 310k. I've done brakes once on the rear, 3x up front. Original clutch, u joints, and steering. I've done the timing belt, water pump Yada Yada every 100k.

I'd drive it to alaska tomorrow and never worry once. I wish my ford and dodge were 20% as reliable.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Fourth or fifths on the 3.0. Run away!!

Crappy performance and atrocios fuel consumption.

A Toyota pickup really should get better fuel milage than an HD 3/4 ton 4x4 with a six liter v-8. And it will with any motor besides the 3.0

My daughter and SIL's rig

First engine was not Toyota's fault. The radiator had a pin hole and they burned down the motor. I payed $5000 for an r&r on a rebuild. 2000 miles later it was in the shop again. Low compression, rebuilt the heads again.

Several years and 10,000 miles later, compression is down again. New heads are going to cost more than the rig is worth.

I shoukd have just paid to have a 22R installed the first time we put it into the shop.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Depending on the price, check out what an engine swap might cost ya. Several guys over at the college automotive program are into rock crawling rigs, or off road and beat them pretty hard...they tell me the 3.4 engine is cheaply available.. all of them seemed to have done the swap....

The 3.0 was the same engine as the Camry's I gather....

I've got an 88 with the 2200 RE, 540 K on that one.. am in the process of replacing the head, figuring it will be cheaper and better than just getting my head refinished.

The one I have picked up is suppose to have 30 PSI higher compression than the factory one had.

Some of the GM V6s were also a common conversion back in the day..., they seem to be available cheap enough, with conversions to bolt up to the Toyota manual trans.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
If it has the 3.0 I'd pass.

Besides it having a head gasket recall they are an absolute fugking dog of a motor.

If you do proceed I'd ask if the head gasket issue was resolved and by which dealership. Then I'd call that dealership with the VIN and confirm.

Dave

YEP.

I have two 4-runners. A '97 with 292,000 miles and a 2001 with 210,000 miles. Never have to add oil between changes.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Had a 97 with a 2.7L. Put big tires on it, changed the gears and then put on a blower. Great rig. Had 127K on it when i sold it. I understand the head gaskets can be a problem but never had a problem with mine. Very reliable, milage not too good between the blower and big tires, but never got stuck after the work i did to in.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
mine is an '88 with the 22R engine. It goes anywhere I need to go. Sand, mud, water, hills or highway.
24 mph on the road, and with total reliability. I drive it regularly between Gainesville and Birmingham, Gainesville and my home in miami, and next month, it will make yet another trip up to the mountains in SW Virginia.
Lots of miles, but I take darn good care of it.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
24 mph on the road, and with total reliability.

That thing's got some get-up-and-go. wink

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have and still use a '97 4Runner to hunt out of quite a bit. It has the bigger v6 (3.4l) and with the Limited version it has a rear locker in 4L. It blew a head gasket at about 175k but up until then very few issues. It's only been truly stuck once, and it was high centered in ruts.
[Linked Image]

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I wonder what happens after he gets er past 24 mph.??? sick

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
even the densest of you phuggers know I meant 24 miles per gallon. Right? laughing. smile

Sam......

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I wonder what happens after he gets er past 24 mph.??? sick

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
even the densest of you phuggers know I meant 24 miles per gallon. Right? laughing. smile

Yep, my old Tacoma would stay between 21 and 24 MPG, great vehicles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not just the head gaskets that's in issue with the 3.0 slow. The exhaust headers have a poorly designed crossover that leads to the exhaust valves in the rear cylinders getting burnt. So yeah, avoid the V6.

If the truck you're looking at is a 4 cyl with only 100k (for real vs. roll back) on it, it's just broken in. The main concern with a 25 y/o vehicle is misc seals drying out, sun damage if it wasn't garaged and if they fluids weren't changed regularly their could be some internal corrosion issues. But more than likely flush and change all fluids, new shocks and new rear springs and you should be gtg.

The stock rear springs are too soft and the rear ends sag. You can either po-boy it by adding jeep coil springs in addition to the leaf springs, or upgrade the leafs. Google will direct you to many options out there.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Yes, the rear springs are an issue on these years in Pickups and 4-Runners. The easiest solution is to grab a single leaf from each side of an old wrecked pickup and add it to the spring pack.

We have done a couple that way with very good results. Depending on the condition of your U-bolts, it should take less than a couple hours.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.