Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
See if she'll go with a Cherokee XJ. 98-99's w/4.0 were good yrs.

GB2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by EZEARL
See if she'll go with a Cherokee XJ. 98-99's w/4.0 were good yrs.

Yep, of the Jeeps I have owned I like these best. I currently have a 98 and I have had a great time with it. But even these are a bit squirrely until you get used to driving them and also have the Death Wobble issue when things start to wear in the front or when uniframe channels get weak from rot.

The 4.0 is fairly bullet proof if regularly maintained and is strong enough to pull trailers with no problem. I like the fact that they are long enough inside to sleep in when Camping. They will also go anywhere a Wrangler will go because the wheel base is actually only 8 inches longer.

The best thing about these...The 4.0 is super easy to work on and Chrysler somehow side skirted the Auto emissions laws by rating it a light Truck instead of an Auto in these years so they have very minimal smog junk on them. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, after sifting through all the opinions, I can only conclude that you should just buy her a used Subaru Forester and call it good. grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
What ? "Expect better fuel mileage in a Suburban or a full size truck, even with the 4 cly..."
I just got back from a little scouting trip up and over the Sierras in my 2014 Wrangler. The 3.6, w/ 3.73 gears got it's usual 17-18 mpg, mostly because I didn't go off road with it. The 2000 Wrangler I had since 2001 would do about 1 mpg less over the same route. I'd like to see the full size PU or, especially a Suburban do that well on that route.
That route started at 1900 ft. where I live and went over three mountain passes, one of which is 8500 ft. E

Last edited by Oheremicus; 04/23/16.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Reba
Not my idea of the first vehicle. To much temptation to take it off road and do things like they do in TV Adds:-(

I owned a 2005 Rubicon and thought it was a POS. It was cool to drive and did great off road, but there was some thing going wrong with it ALL the time. Look up Wrangler Death Wobble.

The older straight axle Jeeps were real Jeeps.

I will never own another Chrysler product, or who ever builds them now...............

She needs to tow a Bass Boat? Can it be done? Yes and it will be real fun with a short wheel base!

Don't do it!

Death Wobble is nothing new had the same issue back on solid axle jeeps from the 60's and 70's it was always the lack of a steering stabilizer or too small of one when you add bigger tires.

I used to do a lot of work on Jeeps after college I raced the East Coast off road circuit had a lot of fun and lots of experience rebuilding nearly everything on my 72 CJ5, running a built V8 that would pull the front wheels off the ground in the mud drags accelerates wearing out drive lines smile

Ted
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by old_willys
Not my idea of the first vehicle. To much temptation to take it off road and do things like they do in TV Adds:-(

I owned a 2005 Rubicon and thought it was a POS. It was cool to drive and did great off road, but there was some thing going wrong with it ALL the time. Look up Wrangler Death Wobble.

I will never own another Chrysler product, or who ever builds them now...............

She needs to tow a Bass Boat? Can it be done? Yes and it will be real fun with a short wheel base!

Don't do it!

Death Wobble is nothing new had the same issue back on solid axle jeeps from the 60's and 70's it was always the lack of a steering stabilizer or too small of one when you add bigger tires.

I used to do a lot of work on Jeeps after college I raced the East Coast off road circuit had a lot of fun and lots of experience rebuilding nearly everything on my 72 CJ5, running a built V8 that would pull the front wheels off the ground in the mud drags accelerates wearing out drive lines smile

Death wobble is actually not a result of an undersized steering stabilizer but the piss-poor steering geometry that is the result of the inverted-Y setup on almost all Jeeps. A steering setup with proper geometry doesn't require any stabilizer at all. The root cause of most death wobble issues is worn/loose track-bar bushings/bolts, rotted out control arm bushings, worn out steering boxes and occasionally tie rod ends or ball joints that are toast.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ajmorell

Don't do it!

Death wobble is actually not a result of an undersized steering stabilizer but the piss-poor steering geometry that is the result of the inverted-Y setup on almost all Jeeps. A steering setup with proper geometry doesn't require any stabilizer at all. The root cause of most death wobble issues is worn/loose track-bar bushings/bolts, rotted out control arm bushings, worn out steering boxes and occasionally tie rod ends or ball joints that are toast.

I had a CJ-5 that had the "death wobble".

It was due to none of the above reasons you folks are stating.

Tires needed to be balanced as well as out of round....

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Don't do it!

I had a CJ-5 that had the "death wobble".

It was due to none of the above reasons you folks are stating.

Tires needed to be balanced as well as out of round....

Oops, I forgot one of the most obvious causes...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Get her something classy like an EB (early Bronco). I've never understood the, "It's a Jeep thing". Until I watched this video.... wink :

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like mine and use it as a daily driver. I think as long as you don't lift it and put big tires on it she'll be just fine, especially with the 4 door model.

One thing I would warn you about though. These things, for what they are get horrible gas mileage. Even when mine was bone stock it was a good week when I could squeeze 18mpg out of it. These days I usually get about 16.5mpg in the summer and about 15.5mpg with winter blend gasoline. Something to consider if it's going to be you filling it up.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Get her something classy like an EB (early Bronco).......

They're classics, but have you priced a clean one lately? Hang onto your checkbook! eek

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
On my 4th jeep, I like em, the 4 door is the best for towing or Highway, I sold mine off and went with a older 2 door, better in the woods and in tight spots! wouldnt be my choise for a 1st time driver tho!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
K1500 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Looked a little more and the newer wranglers seem pretty nice, but they are $$. Early Broncos are way cool but this is a DD for a teenaged girl, so it has to be reliable. I still have around a year to figure it out. She also indicated she liked the Xterra, and they look cheaper to buy and run, and everyone I talk to that has one loves it. Not as cool as a jeep with the top off, but it may also be safer.

K1500 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
She doesn't need to tow a bass boat. I'm just trying to get an idea of capability as I tow a camper with a 2500 diesel and was thinking of adding a trailer for 4 wheelers or maybe a boat. I don't have another tow rig so I was hoping it could chip in if I end up with a smaller boat or trailer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought my daughter a 2000 Wrangler for her fist car used solely as a daily driver. No issues at all whatsoever. She doesn't use it offroad and drives responsibly. Again, no worries.

Lots of horror stories out there about lots of different vehicles. Just like most things, be responsible, and not much to worry about.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Exactly. With the inverted Y geometry, any sort of slop or "play" feeds a positive feedback cycle.

My first TJ ran on 35 inch swampers. For 8 years I had no front stabilizer at all. I took it up to 98 mph once. Never had any hint of death wobble, wasn't even sure what people were talking about.

My second was almost brand new when death wobble set in. There was slop in there somewhere though I never did exactly nail down the problem, eventually I just [bleep]-canned the factory track bar, drag link, and tie rod (and ends of course) and replaced them with after market parts from Currie. I torqued the shyte out of everyting, 10-15 foot pounds beyond recommended so wherever the slop was, it was crushed into obedience. smile End o problem.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Comparing V8 Bronco's to an anemic I6 Wrangler?

Dave

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I owned a 2005 Rubicon....but there was some thing going wrong with it ALL the time.
I will never own another Chrysler product.

Don't do it!

All Chrysler has ever built since 1980 is disposable vehicles.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have a 2015 Wrangler JKU and love it. No issues whatsoever and I have done a pile of work to it...lift, tires etc. It handles better now with the lift and upgrade tie rod and flipped drag link than it did new.

I also just bought a new power wagon and so far it's awesome...I've always driven chev/gm products and this is a much nicer truck.

Rob
C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Have owned a 2014 JKU for just over two years and 33,000 miles. It has been a solid vehicle and the most fun (vehicle) I've ever had. The four door with the 3.73 or 4.10 will tow a bass boat with no problem. 2012+ 3.6 has lots more power, but there were some kinks with the 2012 -- maybe the 2013, Google it. Older ones with the 3.8 can be solid, but are much more anemic. As much as I love mine, they really don't compare well to regular cars. Highway driving in high winds can be... interesting. Quadruple that if towing. For all around use and highway travel, a mid sized SUV would be more comfortable and much cheaper for a kids' first car.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
178 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 22 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.