Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bangeye
The various threads on over or underrated cartridges got me to thinking about how people choose their various cartridge choices. I have come to think of cartridge suitability in terms of the game availability. I view game pretty much in four categories

Under 5 ilbs.

5 lbs- 150 lbs

150- 750 lbs.

Over 750 lbs

Using this criteria its pretty easy to see that most any of the medium capacity cartridges available will cover the two middle categories quite well it's only when approaching the hairy edge of the categories that fodder for 90% of the cartridge suitability discussion is generated. This also shows how most North American hunters can easily get by with two or three rifle in their battery.

I think you are all wrong. I can kill all of those animals with my Ruger 10-22 using yellow jackets..... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Blackheart
If I can't buy ammo at Wal-Mart, Dicks and every hole in the wall hardware and general store that sells it, I don't want a rifle chambered for it. I don't always have the time or desire to handload and I don't want to have to search all over hells half acre for ammo when I want to go hunting.

I don't mean to be critical....

but somehow I'm not surprised.

Jerry

ps: I don't own nor will I own a hunting rifle and buy factory ammo to hunt.

What's the problem with that? Does this make you feel superior in some way?

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Brad
I'll bet she doesn't do a lot of hand-wringing about cartridges... likely the result of a lack of testosterone!

A lot of truth right there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I covered pretty much all my hunting needs with a with a couple of rifles chambered for versatile cartridges with complementary capabilities that are easy to find ammo for and easy to reload; .30-06 and .243. One of these two will go every hunt that requires a centerfire even if as a back-up.

With my "needs" covered, every other cartridge I buy or load, 7.62x39, .30-30, .300 Savage, .303 British, is incidental to a rifle I like.

Expat

Last edited by ExpatFromOK; 05/16/16.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RaySendero
Me - Its always been the rifle that caught my eye!
Not the cartridge.

As far as cartridges, my picks have simply been "time tested"!

Matter of fact, The "newest" cartridge I ever owned in a rifle was introduced in 1956.

There's a lot of "wrong" cartridges in the right rig that I'd have a hard time passing on. And the right deal can throw the ballistical skullphuck out the window.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Huh?

Ray
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In other words, if somebody wants to spout off about how much of a POS a 25-06 is and decided to throw it away for cheap 'cause it ain't "cool", I'm on it like flies on schit.....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
The older I get the more I dislike recoil.

I'm a much better shot with a lighter-recoiling cartridge. It's placement more than anything else, anyway.

So I'm a 7mm-08 shooter, with handloaded 140 gr Partitions.

Bulls, antelope, and bucks so far.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 16bore
In other words, if somebody wants to spout off about how much of a POS a 25-06 is and decided to throw it away for cheap 'cause it ain't "cool", I'm on it like flies on schit.....

OK - Got ya now.

Matter-of-fact, I got an old ain't cool Enfield bout that same way!

Ray
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Would've been less damage to the cottontail if she used a .460 Wby.

[Linked Image]

How much weight retention?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by bangeye
The various threads on over or underrated cartridges got me to thinking about how people choose their various cartridge choices. I have come to think of cartridge suitability in terms of the game availability. I view game pretty much in four categories

Under 5 ilbs.

5 lbs- 150 lbs

150- 750 lbs.

Over 750 lbs

Using this criteria its pretty easy to see that most any of the medium capacity cartridges available will cover the two middle categories quite well it's only when approaching the hairy edge of the categories that fodder for 90% of the cartridge suitability discussion is generated. This also shows how most North American hunters can easily get by with two or three rifle in their battery.

Curious as to how things like this go... I wrote an article for my blog on the subject of caliber/rifle selection that will be going up today some time. More on the tactical side of things, but it applies to hunting rifles equally, I think.

Most of us select rifles and/or calibers for emotional rather than practical reasons. We want "that rifle" in "that caliber" because we saw it in a gun store, or a friend had one at the range, or somebody shot a moose or prairie dog with one on a TV hunting show, and it stirred something in our imagination to the point where we began to think we actually NEED that rifle/caliber.

I think of Mule Deer's story, mentioned on here a few weeks ago, and the story in his book that it came from... his Inuit guide had 2 rifles, a 30-30, and a "22 Mag-a-num". Practicality led David to use his "mag-a-num" for almost everything, including polar bear. Most of us modern American riflemen aren't that simply practical.

I'm as guilty of this as the next guy. That's why I have a safe full of rifles, and why I buy and sell rifles as often as I do.

My first rifle was a sporterized .303 Enfield. This was the "standard" rifle most guys started out with in Alberta back in my young day. I knew a number of men who had never owned anything but a .303, and had killed everything and anything with their .303, and didn't see any need for anything other than a .303. Buy a box of 20 Imperial 175 gr cartridges every couple of years and you're GTG. Lots of freezers in Alberta stayed full with that combination.

I'm sure you could say the same thing about .30-06 mil-surp/sporterized rifles here in the lower 48.

I finally "graduated" to a .308, because at that time I couldn't get varmint bullets in .311" diameter for varmint loads, but there were plenty of varmint bullets in .30 caliber. So for a while, I shot everything from moose to coyotes to p-dogs with my .308.

Now I have all kinds of rifles and bullets and reloading equipment and so forth, but I don't need any of them. I'd be just fine with one .308 and call it good. Anything I buy/shoot/load for these days is because I want it, not because I need it.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A good share of the time it's by impulse.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've done a lot of the impulse thing. My Grandpa, my dad, and my uncles all used only .30-06's and they proclaimed it to be the end all, be all. When I was 13 my dad put a .30-06 and 180 round nose 'brush busters' in my hands. It wasn't long before I had my own job and started searching for 'my cartridge'.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by montanabadger
A good share of the time it's by impulse.

For some yes, that's true. We all go through that stage, dumb as it is.

What i have done lately is carefully examine the cartridges that are most popular on the CF.....and then get something else. whistle smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bob,
I will join you in that.
I really don't get the desire to get something "different" because of the "cool factor".
Actually there isnt much difference in many cartridges.

Last edited by RinB; 05/25/16.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 2,816 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.