24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Are there any special considerations that need to be addressed when indicating and/or chambering a Proof barrel?

I typically chamber with the barrel thru the headstock, using a 4-jaw on the inboard side and a spider on the outboard side. When chucking the barrel I tighten the jaws against a piece of 4ga copper wire that is wrapped around the barrel. On the outboard side I try to use brass shim stock under the bolts in the spider. All this of course is with CM or SS barrels. Should I be doing something differently with the CF wrapped barrel?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
BP-B2

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Never done one of those but I would be a little hesitant to clamp on the CF. Maybe its not an issue but before I ruined something, I would be calling the company to find out what they say. I would think that shim stock would help spread the force so you don't compress the CF, if that is even possible.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The one I did I was able to keep the chuck jaws on the SS portion of the shank. I use a spud into the muzzle end that is also my flow through coolant nozzle so didn't have to worry about clamping on the muzzle. If I was to use a spider and it had to tighten on the CF I'd probably put a wrap or two of some kind of tape between the CF and the shim stock and even then be pretty gentle on the screws.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thought about going a step further and turning a collar with the correct internal taper, splitting it, and then sliding it over the CF portion of the barrel and letting the bolts from the spider press against the collar.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
you might be better off using a collet chuck

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bea175
you might be better off using a collet chuck

And turn the barrel between centers? Use a steady rest? Parrish the thought. shocked That's why they make lathes with short headstocks. LOL

FWIW, I haven't yet acquired a collet chuck, nor have I made a collet closer for my lathe.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would make a split collet to put on it.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you can swing proof tubes, you can afford a TBAS.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I put them through my head stock just like any other barrel. On the chamber end there is plenty of steel to grab and on the muzzle end you don't need to grab them very tight to maintain alignment. I do about 3 or 4 a year.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 75 invisible), 2,676 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.