Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The trail generally runs from SW to NE. But there are lots of twists and turns and it will often run due East or West for miles depending on the terrain.

I've hiked on several sections here in GA and TN. It is a well worn path here that can't be missed. But from what I've read farther north, especially in Maine it is often difficult to locate the trail even with a map and compass. I've read 4-5 books written by thru hikers. All of them have had a few moments, even hours or days where they were off the trail and turned around.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rule 1:

Don't go out in the big bad woods alone.

Rule 2:

See rule 1.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps she intended to commit suicide and thought that doing it so it looked as if she were "hopelessly lost," she and her surviving family could avoid the stigma of suicide.

They could claim, "She did not commit suicide: she just had a terrible accident."

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Saw her story on the show Northwoods Law.. always wondered what happened to her..
I saw that too. Said thing is she owned a "SPOT" but had left it behind at some point. They found it shortly after her husband had reported her missing and they started investigating the situation.
She lived nearly a month once she became lost, but never found a trail, or a way out. Hard to believe.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the penalty for ever doin' somethin' stupid was death, then we'd likely be a bucha dead mofo's here...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Sounds like she neither basic outdoor skills or common sense. Most of us could have survived that situation when we were 10.

as is often the case, the first reply is the best.

How can you get lost on the Appalachian trail? Follow the water downhill and it will eventually lead you to a mall....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Sounds like she neither basic outdoor skills or common sense. Most of us could have survived that situation when we were 10.

How can you get lost on the Appalachian trail? Follow the water downhill and it will eventually lead you to a mall....

You'd be surprised at the amount of people who don't understand this

You'd also be surprised at the amount of people who think it would be cool to ride a bicycle from maine to Florida because it's all down hill on the map

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Before I would starve to death, I'd at least start a forest fire. Authorities would find that.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

smile
The terrain can be more treacherous than you might think. Remember, until the Cumberland Gap was found, the Appalachian chain was a major barrier to westward expansion. Maine can be remote, but I must agree that I could follow a stream and find a road in less than 26 days.

Last edited by hatari; 05/26/16.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been badly turned around in the woods before, and heavily wooded terrain without a decent slope would make me carry a compass. But for crying out loud, every smart phone these days has a compass in it!.

Water runs down hill, roads forks point towards town, worms and grubs are edible, and the sun rises and sets. Pick a direction, and walk, and you'll hit a decent size road within 25 miles of just about any place in the continental US.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TRnCO
Saw her story on the show Northwoods Law.. always wondered what happened to her..
I saw that too. Said thing is she owned a "SPOT" but had left it behind at some point. They found it shortly after her husband had reported her missing and they started investigating the situation.
She lived nearly a month once she became lost, but never found a trail, or a way out. Hard to believe.

Exactly. Something doesn't smell quite right and her remains aren't the stench.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I wonder if she planned to disappear but then did it unintentionally.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Or if someone just helped her disappear, intentionally.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I guess she had a flip phone. My phone has a compass.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As someone who's hiked the trail by where she died, it isn't easy to get lost there. It isn't easy at all.

I would go so far as to say it would almost require effort and planning to get lost going to the bathroom there and be unable to find the trail again and die, not from injury, but just from being lost.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
WALK DOWN HILL. It'll get you out. Got me out of the Cascades in an afternoon, bout 40 years ago. Downhill always leads to roads, bridges, etc. It never lets you walk in a circle.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Or if someone just helped her disappear, intentionally.
They found her in her tent. An autopsy figured she died from exposure and starvation.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I became hungry, thirsty, and grouchy, I'd put some effort into saving myself. Especially in an instance were I was pretty sure technology was not getting out.

I've never been one to count on batteries and staying in touch as a sure fire means of survival anyway. Almost sounds like a death wish unless the stored messages offer a better explanation. Can't really visualize a place east of the Mississippi that an uninjured person could not walk out of in a week or so.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/26/16.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never go in the woods without a compass. I actually carry at least two on a regular basis. Better safe than sorry.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm still trying to figure out why she would activate her SPOT and then leave the area without it.

― George Orwell

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.